Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best way to clean pistons?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 09:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default best way to clean pistons?

I've got my pistons and rods connected but out of motor and they are pretty cabon built up. I got the majority of it cleaned the the rest is a pain, like in the skirts and ring langd. What is the best way to clean the pistons without damaging them, or the coating on the sides of them? Thanks.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

Let them soak in a parts cleaner overnight and clean the pistons with a ring grove cleaner but make sure its metric or take them to your local machine shop and have them clean'em up cause a groove cleaner with the metric land scrapers can be hard to find and expensive for a one time use the first machine shop i stopped at when i did my rebuild didnt have the right groove cleaner , just make sure u lube the piston pins up good when ur done,
Old 01-30-2010, 09:53 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Scotchbrite pads work well. Let them soak in something like parts solvent or laquer thinner for a couple hours and most of it should come off pretty easily.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:32 AM
Staging Lane

Carb cleaner and a tooth brush helps get in some of the hard spots. Not a fun job and it goes slow!

Dan-o
Old 01-30-2010, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I let them soak in grease lightein for a few days, did ok but still alot of crap left. Might need something stronger. I got a ring groove cleaner from autozone and it almost fucked up the piston, started to take away material I might actually need a new piston now dont want to cause detonation with burrs. And yes it was the correct size don't know why it was so damn tight.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:44 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Berryman B-12 Chemtool is your friend... Soak them overnight then use a soft bristle brass brush. Follow with brake cleaner to remove any residue, then follow with a very light (10wt) oil for assembly.

Shane

Quick Reply: best way to clean pistons?