Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the symptoms of a leaky head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 12:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the symptoms of a leaky head gasket?

I fear my car has a leaky head gasket, but it just doesn't make sense to me. The car doesn't overheat, nor use coolant. There is no coolant in the oil pan, but there is in the valve covers. When you start the car it shoots white smoke and smells like coolant until it warms up. Im really stumped at this point and any input is appreciated. Car is an 01' Z28 A4, w/ a HKE 347 w/ trickflow heads, cam, and fast 90.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Really looks like head gasket, just a small leak that'll get bigger by the time...
Old 02-02-2010, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
Really looks like head gasket, just a small leak that'll get bigger by the time...
Thats what im thinking, i've just never seen one that doesnt contaminate the oil in the pan.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:33 PM
TECH Regular

do a compression test, and watch the coolant level in the radiator...if it rises, then you have a leak...you can also do a cylinder leakage test, and listen to the adjacent cylinder of which you are testing...
is it possible the water you are seeing in the valve covers is just due to residue from an open pcv connection?
Old 02-02-2010, 04:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SUCK MY SS
do a compression test, and watch the coolant level in the radiator...if it rises, then you have a leak...you can also do a cylinder leakage test, and listen to the adjacent cylinder of which you are testing...
is it possible the water you are seeing in the valve covers is just due to residue from an open pcv connection?
I have had an open pcv connection, and I didnt know it. But why would the car be smoking?
Old 02-02-2010, 05:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

White smoke is water or coolant that is being sucked past the head gasket into the combustion chamber. After it heats up it might be stopping,or sealing.Short term fix would be to add Ceramic Sealer to your radiator,make sure you follow the directions.If this helps,then i would tear it apart and fix the gasket.If you are using cometic gaskets the finish on both the heads and block must be super smooth.If the finish is not you will have coolant problems.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All cars smoke white on cold start in cold weather. If you are not running hot or losing coolant you are fine.

For piece of mind you can do a leakdown test, have a shop test for exhuast contamination in the coolant or presuure test the cooling system which is cheap and easy. Just be sure if it is leaking down it is not a hose or something else on the cooling side......
Old 02-03-2010, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Car started overheating this morning and found a good amount of radiator fluid in the oil fill tube, I pulled the heads today and gonna do the head gaskets.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry to hear,its the head gaskets.Coolant in the oil is bad,usually ruins all of the bearings,cam,rod, and crank.Steam on startup is common if it disapates.White smoke is burning coolant,not good.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NHRAFORMULA00
Sorry to hear,its the head gaskets.Coolant in the oil is bad,usually ruins all of the bearings,cam,rod, and crank.Steam on startup is common if it disapates.White smoke is burning coolant,not good.
Wasn't running for long, so hopefully nothing is damaged...

Quick Reply: What are the symptoms of a leaky head gasket?