Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Balancing Rotating Assembly With the Flywheel?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Balancing Rotating Assembly With the Flywheel?????

I am still a bit confused fellas, I am building my stroker (383) with a callies racemaster crank, Lunati forged I beam pro billet rods, and wiseco pistons. I have the block in the shop right now, and am still confused about the assembly.
My machinist is very well known and Highly reputable, not just in Denton but all around.
-He told me when I have the rotating assembly balanced since I am running a manual that I should have the assembly balanced with the Flywheel and pressure plate on it.
-Yet I have heard that All LS motors are internally balanced (not sure what that means) and that I Do not want the assembly balanced with the flywheel and pressure plate. I am very confused could someone please help clarify this matter.
Do I need it balanced with the Fly/PP or Not, and why would help to, I am always in need of more knowledge.

Thanks Fellas
Old 02-05-2010, 09:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 266 Likes on 101 Posts

I would suggest No. No need to balance the flywheel/PP to the rotating assembly, it would then become married to the rotating assembly. So in the event you tear up a flywheel, your replacement would have to be identical to the one you are replacing. If weight was removed from either end (flywheel/PP or balancer) it is not easy at all, sometime impossible, to replicate with the replacements depending upon how they are tore up. Then you are screwed.

I would internally balance the rotating assembly (without flywheels or balancers) and then '0' balance those components separately. They have arbors for mounting these components to, to do this correctly. That way if you ever had an issue with one or the other you could just '0' balance the replacement and move on without disturbing your engine's balance. Most of the time the 'good' wheels and balancers are spot on.

Most experienced builders would do it this way.

Did your builder explain his reasoning?
The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (05-19-2023)
Old 02-05-2010, 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

During some research, I learned that most high quality new clutch/flywheels come balanced as a unit. If thats the case then you dont need them when doing an engine internal balance. You wont be bolting anything to the engine that would throw it out of balance you know
Old 02-06-2010, 05:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

No he didnt specify why he thought they should be balanced together, He just said that it was the best way to do it. But I am with you on the part of not doing it, If done that way then the units would be married and if anything changed then all of it would be out of balance again. I will talk with him again.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stock LS1 engine is factory balanced?
Old 02-06-2010, 08:21 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your machinist will first balance your crank and then install the flywheel and pressure plate. He will then re-spin the assembly to make sure the flywheel assembly has been balanced correctly. Not a bad idea IMO.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:03 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by G Engines
Your machinist will first balance your crank and then install the flywheel and pressure plate. He will then re-spin the assembly to make sure the flywheel assembly has been balanced correctly. Not a bad idea IMO.

Good point in that regards, same as using the arbor then, instead just using the crank as one. This would certainly work also. Same concept as balancing the wheel/PP separate.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I will ask him in much more detail on monday. I am going with one of the new monster twins when it comes out around the end of the month. I hope they are a balanced unit. If the crank and rods assemby is balanced and then the PP and flywheel are checked and are not balanced then they would modify the flywheel correct?
Old 02-06-2010, 01:19 PM
9 Second Club

Yes, which is fine then. I commented 'no' originally thinking changes would be made to the rotating assembly based on the flywheel/pp influence. That is what I would not recommend. The latter is fine. Nothing wrong with checking and/or balancing the flywheel and PP after the rotator has been done. Makes good sense, as does using an arbor, if they have one. Good luck.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:52 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah I would just zero balance the engine like normal and balance or check the other stuff after that is done like everyone above said.

Quick Reply: Balancing Rotating Assembly With the Flywheel?????