Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thriftiest 427 option to keep my fast 90 with?

Old 02-10-2010, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thriftiest 427 option to keep my fast 90 with?

I'm planning to buy a good shortblock from one of our great vendors here. What I'm not clear on is which overall block and heads combination should I go with if I want to keep the fast90 and existing 1 3/4" kooks from my ls1. Can anyone give me some pointers there?

This is a daily driver, I'm not interested in huge dyno smashing hp numbers. I'll be going with a medium/mild cam and focusing on low end/midrange oomph.

Any chance my existing ported 243's could be optimized to work there? Send them to TEA for huge valves? Or just go with some L92's?

I'm not looking for the cheapest way to get there, I just want a sensible setup for the dollar.

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2010, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly you could sell your intake to pay for new l92 heads then swap the remaining components on. I think that will be the best bang for the buck. If you want to be thrifty an iron 6.0 block bored over with a 4.1 or 4.125 crank will work depending on how much you bore out. You can't get much thriftier than that for a 427
Old 02-10-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't put an iron block in an FRC, the extra weight won't help the handling at all. The original GMPP 243's have some pretty large ports, they were done by LPE. That would allow you to keep the FAST and focus your funds on a good short block.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

the only way to keep the fast 90 with a 427 would be to go with some Trick Flow 235's or 245's
Old 02-10-2010, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys - actually vettenuts, those are the heads I have.

Say, if the iron block is really bored out - won't that reduce the weight difference?

'preciate the advice.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't dictate your build around the IM you have.....You can sell it for some pretty decent cash and your heads too if you wanna go a different direction.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Take a look at the link in my sig. I re used all the parts from my h/c bolt on 346 on my 402. Wasn't happy and with the help of Vengeance Racing did a bunch of A-B comparisons to show what 1 3/4 to 1 7/8, 205 heads to TFS 215's, and off the shelf cam to custom cam did on my 402. Good read, may help you out a bit. Big gains in hp, tq, and drivability.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are looking for results from a relatively mild build check out this thread...

L92 DynoJet Numbers Plus Plan "B"

There is a lot of information contained within, a good read save for a few pages that went off track. Currently at page 38, the author is awaiting the return of his L92 heads from the second round of porting for his 427 build.

Personally, I think your current top end could be utilized with a custom cam to meet your "low end/midrange oomph" goals for the short term. If you decide to change later, you should still be able to offload those pieces for something that better suits your goal.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the pointer, Hammer - just slogged through that whole thread. Very informative. With gmpp l92's running 900 for the pair, I might just have to give that option some thought.

Sombitch - I know I'm going at it backwards by putting the IM first, but basically I realized I've got close to 3 large in boltons, a lot of which would be changed to "ideally" support seven liters. Even if I could get a good bit of that back on the used market, I'm just not feeling a lot of motivation to do that.

I'm sorta thinking at this point I could use the existing parts along with a two-piece timing cover, and theoretically upgrade to the big TFS's and kooks in a year or two with an appropriate cam to match.

My real dream is to get something like the Harrop going.

Thanks again!
Dan
Old 02-12-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nothing wrong with your plan of attack bro. Do what you can now with the understanding that you are going to pick up a ton later. My 402 gained 16.xx rwhp and over 7 rwtq by swapping out the 1 3/4 lg's for the ARH 1 7/8. Just an example. Then the head swap will most likely be more as well. Cam, another gain. So theoritically if you build a restricted 427 and put down 500 rwhp 480 rwtq then once you have the money to optimize the setup you could be looking at 550+ rwhp and over 500 rwtq pretty easy my friend. Best of luck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2010, 03:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blorton
Thanks for the pointer, Hammer - just slogged through that whole thread. Very informative. With gmpp l92's running 900 for the pair, I might just have to give that option some thought.

Sombitch - I know I'm going at it backwards by putting the IM first, but basically I realized I've got close to 3 large in boltons, a lot of which would be changed to "ideally" support seven liters. Even if I could get a good bit of that back on the used market, I'm just not feeling a lot of motivation to do that.

I'm sorta thinking at this point I could use the existing parts along with a two-piece timing cover, and theoretically upgrade to the big TFS's and kooks in a year or two with an appropriate cam to match.

My real dream is to get something like the Harrop going.

Thanks again!
Dan

I hear ya!! There are soooo many choices but the good thing is done right you can have a killer setup with either cathedral or rectangular ports

Search this Thread