Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

smoke out the exhaust...

Old 02-12-2010, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default smoke out the exhaust...

after installing the texas speed 228R cam and pacetter long tube header with texas speed true duals when i rev the car while its parked smoke comes out the exhaust...is that normal?
Old 02-12-2010, 07:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

my guess is rings. The headers just made it more appearant.
what color is this smoke?
Old 02-12-2010, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

it seems like its white. i just noticed as i was reving when i got off work. so it was kind of dark
Old 02-13-2010, 06:57 AM
12 Second Club

If it wasn't smoking before the cam intstall, why would you instantly think its rings? I went through this for the past 5 months with it burning a lot of oil and smoking out the exhaust. Turned out to be valve seals. If you just installed the cam, are you sure the valve seals were installed correctly and fully seated?

Also, how many miles on the setup. If you JUST installed it, it could just be moisture and such burning off the new exhaust setup.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

i woldnt think it was the rings rite off either... i believe you have a valve seal issue. there have been countless people install cams and find out they have weak valve seals. i would def check that out first. how many miles on the car and has the heads ever been worked as far as you know?
Old 02-13-2010, 11:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to tell us what did you did as part of the cam job. Just cam and springs? Did you replace the guide seals, how long has the engine been running, did all the coating burn off the headers and new exhaust, have you had it tuned, etc. Then we can help you figure it out. I wouldn't think rings or anything major like that - nothing in description so far points to that type of problem.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If it is white it may be just condensation and moisture due to the colder weather. Do you see this while driving?
Old 02-17-2010, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

I have not got the car tuned just yet and Ive only drove the car about 350 miles since the cam install. i believe the guy just did the cam with the springs and rods..... im assuming the kit from texas speed. the headers are ceramic and i think the car has some smoke when i drive but only if i get on it really hard but if im just cruising you cant see anything behind me. also the check engine light came on because of the bank o2 censor... thats what autozone's little machine said. should i get it replace before the tune or wait till after. he also said that the spark plugs might have gone bad even though they are brand new.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:37 AM
On The Tree

White means coolant
Blue means oil
Black means fuel

A car may still emit some white smoke even after it is warm as water is a by-product of combustion. Does the exhaust smell like coolant?
Old 02-18-2010, 02:38 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ I was going to go over the color thing too.

I pull the valve covers and at least check the valve seals. Make sure that they are on the correct valves. This should help you:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ust-seals.html
Old 02-18-2010, 04:13 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also, don't rev your engine while its not under some sort of load. Especially after you just got new hardware installed.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:46 AM
On The Tree

Maybe it's just getting oiled Good !! LOL
Old 02-18-2010, 11:14 AM
Launching!

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it if you're not seeing white smoke while driving or at idle after the car has come up to operating temperature. The smoke doesn't have a particular smell does it?
Old 02-18-2010, 11:16 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Be sure to keep an eye on your fluid levels as well...that's still one of the best ways to tell if you're burning anything!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 04-05-2010, 12:50 AM
On The Tree

im having the same problem, just installed heads/cam/headers ect. The smoke appears white but I havent investigated far enough in to give many details. there is oil dripping from my header to y pipe flange. I've had a series of problems since i got the car back from the shop, they did a terrible job on basically everything, paid another shop to fix some mistakes, Im fixing the rest. Im down to the smoke, oil coming out between flange, and wanting to stall when going in gear. Yes the car has a tune in it for the cam.

Search this Thread