Sponsored by:

Novice questions regarding LS1 buildup

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 06:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Novice questions regarding LS1 buildup

Okay, here is the novice questions:
I'm installing a set of GMPP CNC LS2 heads, GMPP Hot Cam, LS2 Intake, electric water pump, 30# injectors, Aeromotive fuel system, custom headers, and 92mm throttle body into a 99 stock LS1.

(And yes, I have seen that many of you hate the Hot Cam, but I got it for the right price..)

What do I need to do to complete the buildup? The engine has less than 5000 miles on it..

Can I use the stock rockers with stock pushrods? If so, is there a trick to reinstalling stock rockers?

Is the stock oil pump and timing chain okay? If not, what do you recommend?

I want to do it right, so please tell me what I should do.

Thank you in advance!
Clay
Old 02-13-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You could reuse the stock pushrods, but a nice set of aftermarket ones would be better. They are stronger and less likely to bend. Also the stock rockers are just fine, many people use them as is. I would definitely recommend replacing the oil pump and timing chain while you are in there. A new LS2 stock chain is fine with stock sprockets. Older oil pumps have had problems and it's cheap insurance. Since you are doing heads as well, I would install a new set of lifters too.

But, Just saw that you say the engine has 5k miles. If that is truly the case, then the lifters, timing chain and oil pump are almost new and not need replacement.

I had the Hot Cam in my 01 SS back in 2004. It made 360 rwhp with stock heads and LS6 intake. It's not a bad cam if you got it cheap, but it's not necessarily the best cam either.

If you are set on using an LS2 intake,then I would have it ported. An LS6 intake with a ported stock TB will net you the same results.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I think I will take your advice on the oil pump.. Do the rockers go on as easy as they came off???