Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Predator tune first or re-cam, then tune?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 03:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Predator tune first or re-cam, then tune?

This may seem a little long, but I need to include enough info so people can make qualified suggestions.

I am the second owner of a 2001 SS, and do not have any history on the SS I purchased from a dealer 1-1/2 years ago (car had 25k on the clock then, 41k now). I knew absolutely nothing about LS1's prior to purchase. I am, however, not inexperienced with mucsle (built a few bblock Mopars and sblock fords years ago ...go ahead ). Personal, detailed inspection of the vehicle after purchase revealed several free mods (160 stat, TB porting, MAF descreened, TB bypass, and several susp mods). I have also surmised that they ran n2o, as the SLP lid has small holes on opposite sides near the front lip of the lid, and the motor came with NGK TR6's. I also think they ran headers, since there was a huge amount of soot on the underbody near where collectors would have been. That, and the POS 'custom' (I use this term very lightly) 2" non-mandrel bend y-pipe, tells me the de-modded prioir to trade-in. The car runs very strong, but I have no outside experience to base this on. Anyway, enough of this....

I have since installed an ASP crank pulley, SLP CAI, OR y-pipe, STB & SFC's, and rear gearing. However, I do not know if the prior owner did anything internally. I have contemplated pulling the valve covers to check for spring or push rod mods, but laziness has gotten the best of me until now. Realistically, I don't know that the prior owner would have done internals, since they appear to have gone the quick power, n2o route, but I'm not sure. A lot of people cam and spray......

I have been researching a lot on my 2001 SS existing cam specs and other aftermarket cam choices. I am looking to get more out of the SS than is presently there, w/o head work (for now); the low lift and duration of the 2001 cam is crazy . My final choice on cams will be based upon my research and long-term goals.

However, I have thought of Predator tuning first *(Predator tuning being: predator, 1 hour of dyno shop (3 pulls: adjusting timing and a/f ratios for now).....for $375), because part of me wants to see what the motor does now, and for a couple of reasons: 1) Baseline numbers are always good for accurate mod power mapping, and 2) it should reveal any possiblility that the prioir owner already re-cammed (which could or could not be a bonus) or determine any other 'issues', should the motor come in significantly different (up OR down) on the dyno.

Anyway, what do you all think? Given what you know now and your mod experience and, given my circumstances, what would you do and why?

* I added that part for clarification.

Last edited by Proud2bSS; 12-26-2003 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-26-2003, 03:06 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you mean "Predator Tuning," what do you mean exactly, as the device could be used to tune in many ways. Mail order tune? Dyno + Predator tune? Tune off of the real time data? etc....

Anyhow, for your typical $500 full session with a tuner, I suggest cam, then tune.
Old 12-26-2003, 03:10 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Proud2bSS
When you mean "Predator Tuning," what do you mean exactly, as the device could be used to tune in many ways. Mail order tune? Dyno + Predator tune? Tune off of the real time data? etc....

Predator tuning being: predator, 1 hour of dyno shop (adjusting timing and a/f ratios for now).....for $375
Cam first.
For more in depth cam info, check out ls1howto.com
There's a great install write-up.
Old 12-26-2003, 03:11 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

You can also call predator and ask them to mail order a tune for your new setup once done.