Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lifters or pushrods???

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 02:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lifters or pushrods???

I am having my LS1 refreshened with new bearings, rings, etc...

I have an HPE S cam and Stock 241 heads with 92k on the motor I am going to put new lifters in there while its apart I currently have 7.400 trick flow pushrods.

I want to get new lifters can I run LS7s with stock 241 heads and that S cam or would a 7.4 pushrod be too much.

or should I buy comp OE lifters and run the 7.400s I want to do this the most cost efficient way possible. I really dont want to buy LS7 lifters because they are cheaper only to need pushrods later.

Basically I am just asking what lifters will work with 7.4 pushrods and stock heads without putting too much pre-load on the lifters.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:32 PM
Staging Lane

no one has an answer?
Old 02-18-2010, 04:56 PM
Staging Lane

The LS7 lifters are the new OE lifters, GM's design change. I would definately replace the lifters and trays while you're in there. But whichever lifter you decide to go with, measure the length either by dial indicator or length checker and add in the preload according to the recommendation for the lifter you're using. I know you don't want to replace pushrods unless you have to, but you're lifter choice will dictate- it's your choice. I don't know what the base circle is on that cam, so even though you're running stock length pushrods, the preload isn't stock most likely. It's hard to say what kind of preload you're currently running without measuring it.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

Another question is do I run LS7s or get Comp OEs there is about a 70 dollar price difference.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

Go to gaterman products they have the original LS1/LS6 lifters they are 100 dollars and that's what I am running in my build. As you can see in my sig I am running ok. The LS7 have had some issues with more aggressive cams and lobes. and if your going to do lifters you have to measure for the rod size also don't be taking advice from the net they won't fix your valve train when it falls apart.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The LS7 lifters are GM replacement lifters. If the originals have been problem free, get the LS7's. GM doesn't make any of them and there are only a couple of companies that do so unless you are going Morel, I wouldn't be surprised to find out the Comp and GM are made by the same company to similar specs. As for pushrod length, verify when you re-install the pushrods.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 02*C5
Go to gaterman products they have the original LS1/LS6 lifters they are 100 dollars and that's what I am running in my build. As you can see in my sig I am running ok. The LS7 have had some issues with more aggressive cams and lobes. and if your going to do lifters you have to measure for the rod size also don't be taking advice from the net they won't fix your valve train when it falls apart.

OEM lifters for $100!?!?! Hell yeah I would trust those before some LS7s I heard that the LS7s did have some problems. So if I use these real OEM lifters would I be fine to use my 7.400 stock length pushrods?
Old 02-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

Measure pushrod length after when you get to that point- only sure fire way to know. Like already stated, don't trust the net on this. Measure it, get the right P.R.'s, and have confidence that it's done right instead of just guessing or listening to someone try ball parking it.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Traitor LS1
OEM lifters for $100!?!?! Hell yeah I would trust those before some LS7s I heard that the LS7s did have some problems. So if I use these real OEM lifters would I be fine to use my 7.400 stock length pushrods?
The only time I would say yes is if your using all stock OEM equipment since you are not and I do not know what has been done to your heads the best advice I can give you is get the lifters set your equipment up and check for rod length. Any one that tells you differently either is clairvoyant or has measured your equipment before you did.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:24 AM
Staging Lane

The only time I would say yes is if your using all stock OEM equipment since you are not and I do not know what has been done to your heads the best advice I can give you is get the lifters set your equipment up and check for rod length. Any one that tells you differently either is clairvoyant or has measured your equipment before you did.
I've got bone stock 241 heads and have an HPE S cam 238/240 .605/.609 112 LSA
Old 02-19-2010, 09:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first off measure, but since you are running an after market cam your most liking are going to have to get some longer push rod to get the correct preload. second i would stay away from ls7 lifters i have nothing but bad luck w/them im on my second set and the motor is still ticking. im fixing to switch them out w/some Morels
Old 02-19-2010, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

What is all this negativity surrounding LS7 lifters? I've heard of them not being up to par when it comes to aggressive style lobes and big lift, but have not heard of alot of failures. If they're good enough for a stock LS7 that spins up to 7k, why aren't they good enough for mild cams? I've heard of Morels failing too, everything has it's breaking point and there is always possibility of premature failure, that's just the nature of things- some go bad before others, not everything is made to perfection and lasts as long as every other lifter made under the same roof. So, do they get noisey, fall apart, explode, catch fire, implode....what.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SGT20
What is all this negativity surrounding LS7 lifters? I've heard of them not being up to par when it comes to aggressive style lobes and big lift, but have not heard of alot of failures. If they're good enough for a stock LS7 that spins up to 7k, why aren't they good enough for mild cams? I've heard of Morels failing too, everything has it's breaking point and there is always possibility of premature failure, that's just the nature of things- some go bad before others, not everything is made to perfection and lasts as long as every other lifter made under the same roof. So, do they get noisey, fall apart, explode, catch fire, implode....what.
There is a whole thread on this subject. And for the LS7 stock cam it is a very none aggressive cam if you have ever looked at the specs of it at 211/230 @ .050 and a .591 lift but that is because of the 1.8 ratio it is running. On a 1.7 ratio the final lift number is .558 if I am correct. The cam is not very aggressive at all IMO. It is a very good cam for High speed but it is not a cam for what most of us consider aggressive. Some of these guys are using cams in the 23X/24X with 600+/600+ lift and experiencing lifter failure with the LS7 and the CTSV lifters. These lifters where not in any way meant to run cams of those profiles.

I have run the LS1/LS6 OEM lifters on my H/C packages I shift at 6800 and red-line @ 7K. My cam profile is 23X/24X 614/614 112 No issues at all and its a street/strip 60/40. Now if you really want piece of mind buy morels and be done with it.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

I just ordered LS7s because Gaterman products didn't feel like answering the phone when I called about 10 seperate times today. I can't find OE lifters anywhere so I went with the LS7s I will be checking pushrod length and getting as perfect to preload as I can get. I hope this helps. Plus I have a ported shimmed LS6 oil pump I think the extra pressure should help keep the lifters pumped up.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just ordered LS7s because Gaterman products didn't feel like answering the phone when I called about 10 seperate times today. I can't find OE lifters anywhere so I went with the LS7s I will be checking pushrod length and getting as perfect to preload as I can get. I hope this helps. Plus I have a ported shimmed LS6 oil pump I think the extra pressure should help keep the lifters pumped up.
Yeah had the same issue I went email rout with them. But good luck if you have a good set up and everything is done correctly you should get good life out of those.

Good Luck.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:28 PM
Teching In

I am having my LS1 refreshened with new bearings, rings, etc...

I have an HPE S cam and Stock 241 heads with 92k on the motor I am going to put new lifters in there while its apart I currently have 7.400 trick flow pushrods.

I want to get new lifters can I run LS7s with stock 241 heads and that S cam or would a 7.4 pushrod be too much.

or should I buy comp OE lifters and run the 7.400s I want to do this the most cost efficient way possible. I really dont want to buy LS7 lifters because they are cheaper only to need pushrods later.

Basically I am just asking what lifters will work with 7.4 pushrods and stock heads without putting too much pre-load on the lifters.
as far as what length pusrod to use the only answer would be get a pushrod length cheker and find out. if you dont know how to do it have a profesional do it for you the small price will be much better than the headache later.
the reason there is no accurate answer for pushrod length, is that there are too many factors like : gasket thickness, head or blocked decked, head design.... you get the idea
Old 02-20-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a whole thread on this subject. And for the LS7 stock cam it is a very none aggressive cam if you have ever looked at the specs of it at 211/230 @ .050 and a .591 lift but that is because of the 1.8 ratio it is running. On a 1.7 ratio the final lift number is .558 if I am correct. The cam is not very aggressive at all IMO. It is a very good cam for High speed but it is not a cam for what most of us consider aggressive. Some of these guys are using cams in the 23X/24X with 600+/600+ lift and experiencing lifter failure with the LS7 and the CTSV lifters. These lifters where not in any way meant to run cams of those profiles.

I have run the LS1/LS6 OEM lifters on my H/C packages I shift at 6800 and red-line @ 7K. My cam profile is 23X/24X 614/614 112 No issues at all and its a street/strip 60/40. Now if you really want piece of mind buy morels and be done with it.
I don't understand this post. Are you saying the LS7 lifter is not as good as a LS1/LS6 lifter? From what I understand all LS1/LS6 lifters were replaced with the LS7 lifter. I guess these old stock $100 lifters are some how better?

sorry but this just doesn't make since.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by printmanjackson
I don't understand this post. Are you saying the LS7 lifter is not as good as a LS1/LS6 lifter? From what I understand all LS1/LS6 lifters were replaced with the LS7 lifter. I guess these old stock $100 lifters are some how better?

sorry but this just doesn't make since.
I was set straight by one of the sponsors on this site about the LS7 lifters and the LS1/LS6 lifters. The LS1/LS6 lifters are very good lifters. My street tune lets me shift at 6800 and red line at 7K when I go to the track I shift at 7K and red line at 7200. This done on a bone stock bottom end LS1 with almost 90K miles on her. The only lifters I have ever used are the stock LS1/6 lifters.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:00 PM
TECH Regular

Where can you still find LS1 lifters that are not really LS7 lifters?
Old 02-20-2010, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Q8-TECH
as far as what length pusrod to use the only answer would be get a pushrod length cheker and find out. if you dont know how to do it have a profesional do it for you the small price will be much better than the headache later.
the reason there is no accurate answer for pushrod length, is that there are too many factors like : gasket thickness, head or blocked decked, head design.... you get the idea
Well if it helps I have bone stock 241 heads, stock GM MLS head gaskets, stock rocker arms, and an HPE S cam 238/240 .605/.609 112 LSA and the block hasn't been decked or anything. But since I have a higher lift cam than stock, and the LS7 lifter cup sits higher I would assume that my 7.400 pushrods are too long. I will need to measure for sure.

Quick Reply: lifters or pushrods???