Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you think of this build plan?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 11:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think of this build plan?????

Heres the low-down...

I Have a '00 WS6 and want to mod it. It has 158,xxx miles on it and the reverse gear grinds. So I'm thinking of driving it to Tick Performance and having them do the Stage 2 Tranny rebuild...while there I would also like to get a

-9" rear along with 3.73 gears
-Kooks 1 3/4 LT Headers w/ SLP LM1 exhaust
-and a cam of some sort... ( What Kind ? )
-custom tune
-SPEC Stage 3 clutch
-SPEC Billet Steel Flywheel

my issue with the cam is, I have no idea which one to turn to. I don't want a large cam or small. I'm looking for a mild-type cam. It will be driven probably every-other day and sometimes taken to the track.

My goal with this car is like 450-500hp...

please recomment the right rearend and a Niiiceee cam also do you guys think 3.73 gears would be ok? or should I do 4.10's....

Last edited by offroadfury6; 02-22-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

not to bust your bubble but you will not hip 450-500 with a mild cam. dont worry about hp numbers. mine made 340rwhp and i went 12.1 with a 1.8 60ft. i would go with something along the lines of a 228. i have the 226 and its a baby cam imo. and i would definitly go custom grind

also the 12 bolt or 9" will be no problem. i would go with 4.10s since your a m6.

if i were you i would rebuild the motor first being it does have 160k but thats just me.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by transamfreak01
not to bust your bubble but you will not hip 450-500 with a mild cam. dont worry about hp numbers. mine made 340rwhp and i went 12.1 with a 1.8 60ft. i would go with something along the lines of a 228. i have the 226 and its a baby cam imo. and i would definitly go custom grind

also the 12 bolt or 9" will be no problem. i would go with 4.10s since your a m6.

if i were you i would rebuild the motor first being it does have 160k but thats just me.
well the HP goal includes future mods...but at the moment, I want the above mods. so a custom grind 228 cam, sounds nice enough. and 4.10s is still good and streetable? I dunno, The engine purrs like a kitten, runs awesome. matter of a fact, I may wait on cam until I have some kind of engine problem before I let someone tear into it and I'm thinking 12 bolt since it's alittle cheaper at tick performance.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd recommend the TSP Torquer2, it's done me just fine. Obviously I'm biased, but I'm happy with it.

Go ahead with the 9''. The 12 bolt in my car is loud as hell now that I've launched it hard a few times. No noise out of the 9'' in my T/A though. 4.10s stuffed in it as well.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PowerShift408
I'd recommend the TSP Torquer2, it's done me just fine. Obviously I'm biased, but I'm happy with it.

Go ahead with the 9''. The 12 bolt in my car is loud as hell now that I've launched it hard a few times. No noise out of the 9'' in my T/A though. 4.10s stuffed in it as well.
yeah the tv2 is a great cam but im a custom guy. i just figure if they can build you a cam for YOUR car then why not do it at like 30$ more or something liek that. and yes 9" ftw. thats what i will be upgrading too soon bc as of right now it looks like its gonna take a dump on me real soon.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by offroadfury6
-9" or 12 Bolt rear along with 3.73 gears ( Which rearend? 9 or 12? )
-Kooks 1 3/4 LT Headers w/ SLP LM1 exhaust
-and a cam of some sort... ( What Kind ? )
-custom tune
-SPEC Stage 3 clutch
-SPEC Billet Steel Flywheel

My goal with this car is like 450-500hp...

also do you guys think 3.73 gears would be ok? or should I do 4.10's....
9" seems to have been more durable than the 12 bolt, and since you are looking at a heavy duty clutch as well, you may as well get the one that will take the abuse - see the post from PowerShift408 above.

Not sure if you plan on running an ORY with that setup, but it will be hella loud without cats.

500rwhp from 346ci can be done, but not cheap by any means. You're going to have to spin it hard, and with the mileage on your '00 lobgblock, you might consider a rebuild if you are serious about pushing that far. At the least, you should invest in some rod bolts. Even with excellent heads, you need a generous sized cam to reach 50rwhp. If you really want mild, daily driven power near 500rwhp, you should probably either add some displacement (383/408) or look at some form of forced induction. It's much easier to hit all your goals that way.

4.10's are a great gear for 6 speed cars, but you should make up your mind on what path works best for you before choosing the ratio. With FI, you might need to stick with 3.73's or even 3.42's to keep the engine in it's powerband.

Since Tick is your vendor of choice, you might be better off to ask what they recommend to hit your goals. Choosing the parts you think will work and asking them to make them do it for you is akin to sticking a square peg in a round hole. You will achieve better results for less if you formulate a plan early on and stick to it.

Good Luck!
Old 02-22-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would definitely steer clear of the loudmouth though.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hammertime
9" seems to have been more durable than the 12 bolt, and since you are looking at a heavy duty clutch as well, you may as well get the one that will take the abuse - see the post from PowerShift408 above.

Not sure if you plan on running an ORY with that setup, but it will be hella loud without cats.

500rwhp from 346ci can be done, but not cheap by any means. You're going to have to spin it hard, and with the mileage on your '00 lobgblock, you might consider a rebuild if you are serious about pushing that far. At the least, you should invest in some rod bolts. Even with excellent heads, you need a generous sized cam to reach 50rwhp. If you really want mild, daily driven power near 500rwhp, you should probably either add some displacement (383/408) or look at some form of forced induction. It's much easier to hit all your goals that way.

4.10's are a great gear for 6 speed cars, but you should make up your mind on what path works best for you before choosing the ratio. With FI, you might need to stick with 3.73's or even 3.42's to keep the engine in it's powerband.

Since Tick is your vendor of choice, you might be better off to ask what they recommend to hit your goals. Choosing the parts you think will work and asking them to make them do it for you is akin to sticking a square peg in a round hole. You will achieve better results for less if you formulate a plan early on and stick to it.

Good Luck!
eventually I may go FI but for now, those are my goals...I already edited my post and got the 9" locked down for my choice of rear. I obviously don't want no crap on this car. as far as the engine, she runs smooth at the moment and I'm having no issues. Now the rearend of the car, my posi is only laying 1 streak and Reverse grinds like a ***** so I'm going to get a complete re-build on that end. I have some money and did the math, all these mods without the cam and cost of labor is like $5,000 lol...and thats kinda hitting my limit, don't wanna push more than $5k at the moment. and Tick Performance is only about a 2 hour drive for me and they seem very involved in T56 trannys, I would trust them. I will be taking the advice and giving them a call next month to see what they suggest on the build.

thanks guys.

and for the LM1 option, I kinda still want it, if it's too loud for my liking, I will try to trown in a cat or billet.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

just remember though.. your engine is running fine now.. but after you put a cam in there and 4:10's you're going to be working it harder. so youre problem free engine now might take a dump very soon. which turns all of your $5k investment into a dust collector in the garage.. but Tv2 gets my vote too. that cam with some heads will do wonders...
Old 02-22-2010, 06:21 PM
TECH Regular

well I may sell the Raptor 700 cause once I start back college, I won't have time with a job/school and my lil girl...so may be some xtra cash floating there...This engine rebuild you guys speak of, what parts would this be??

If I cam it with a 228, I would need valve springs, retainers and new rods? double roller timing chain as well?

I just wanna mod it all at once and do it ENGINE and TRANNY Safe!!! I don't want no aftermath issues..So please input this engine re-build specs so I can consider it and put the prices together. I want pretty much a DD street beast.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah then i would go with the 228. it wont hit u 500hp but itll scoot fur sure. heard the lobes are a little rough on the tv2 but it has made great power. my votes still 228
Old 02-22-2010, 07:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

For the engine its all what you want, I know when I do mine its goin 383 forged. so some machining, crank, pistons, connecting rods, all the gaskets, then all of the random bolts that hold everything together.
I wasn't trying to scare you, i would just hate to see you do all of that stuff and then few weeks later we see a post that one of your rod bolts broke and such. Id say 1500 min. in parts. Eagle I have heard has some good parts so it all would depend on what you're looking for.
I have heard nothing but great things about the Tv2 and 228 but if you want 450-500 you might have to shoot a little bigger. Somewhere there is a dyno sheet from texas-speed where they did LT's UDpulley MS3 and the 5.3l 2.5 heads or the ls6 2.5 heads and they were getting 450rwhp.

p.s. sell the raptor.... nobody wants a yamaha anyways...
Old 02-22-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Regular

lol on the raptor...I just dont have time for it anymore...

ok well maybe I should change my HP goal to about 450HP then. no biggie, I just want a beast to run the streets.

So If I vote for a 228 cam, what other mods am I looking at to successfully support that? I think i'mma go ahead and get the kooks headers and LM exhaust...wait til raptor is sold then drive to tick performance and have the T56 rebuild to stage 2 and moser 9" rear with 4.11's...I'm sure they can help me with the cam also and go ahead and dyno tune while I'm there...Include a LS6 intake mani and I think I'm set for a while...then start looking into suspension...

anyone know the differnce in the LS6 mani vs the LS6 SLP High performance intake mani?

so with the 228 cam, would need to upgrade the valve springs? retainers? timing chain as well? I dont want this cam to ruin some parts in the engine cause I was too lazy to find out what else would support it.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

Any cam that has been mentioned so far is going to require you to swap out your valvetrain with stiffer stuff. Especially with the miles you've got. But wherever you buy your cam from will likely also sell a cam kit that includes most everything aside from the timing chain. LS2 piece there will do you fine. It's what I use in mine with my Torquer V.2.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JarrettL
Any cam that has been mentioned so far is going to require you to swap out your valvetrain with stiffer stuff. Especially with the miles you've got. But wherever you buy your cam from will likely also sell a cam kit that includes most everything aside from the timing chain. LS2 piece there will do you fine. It's what I use in mine with my Torquer V.2.
ok, is the torquer v.2 a mild cam?
Old 02-23-2010, 12:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

ha I was just kiddin i like the raptor 700.. the 660 im not to fond of... but yeah I ended up selling mine. with college it just became a dust collector losing value everyday.
For the cam I would say replace everything but the rocker arms in the heads and then the LS2 timing chain. Also a ported LS6 oil pump would be good to replace while you're down there. The LS6 pump is more reliable than the LS1 and with it ported it will flow pretty good.
I dont know if I would consider the Tv2 a mild cam exactly but its not a huge cam. You will have your power band starting at lower RPM which will give you that street monster you want and from what I hear it pulls like crazy.. so with those 4.11s im sure you will love it.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

The torquer2 is a middle of the road cam in my opinion. I have no problems DD'ing it, and it makes good power. I personally wouldn't bother putting a smaller cam in a car, but that's just me.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:32 AM
TECH Regular

good stuff guys...I wish I had another way to thank you all...sooo thanks Is all I can do
Old 02-23-2010, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's what we're here for man. All I can say is that it's my pleasure to help someone create a car that they will be happy with.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Good list of mods. I have a very similar set up. I have 4.10's in my stock 10 bolt which needs to be changed eventually but they are the cats meow in a M6 and they pull awesome. I also have a 228r cam from tsp with ls6 heads and just ordered my tick level 2 kit on sunday. Great choices and your on the right track, keep reading a lot of threads and you will get more ideas.

Good luck on your build!