Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L92 Heads whats the difference in price

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 12:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default L92 Heads whats the difference in price

Ok.. here is the question. I have a LQ4 Im building, I am looking at the L92 heads

These are from Scoggin-Dickey, 12582713 Scoggin-Dickey 798.50, Im using the car-craft article as reference http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ocker_arm.html

So they are 798.50, plus springs. Lets say they end up being 1100 for springs and heads shipped. I am also looking at the texas-speed set up, but is much higher priced. Whats the difference?? I AM!! building the car-craft set up, but if I can get some benefit from I will consider it?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The difference is that the TSP heads are ported, and have aftermarket valve springs in them, which you'll need unless you plan on running a stock cam. They'll make a decent amount more power than the stock L92 heads from Scoggin-Dickey. By the time you buy an aftermarket valve spring kit for the stock L92's, from SD, it's going to end up costing you only a couple hundred less than the TSP heads, but they won't flow as well.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not just go to Scroggin Dickey's site and look up information instead of getting the wrong info on here.

GMPP heads stock and upgraded springs

SD's own CNC ported heads
Old 02-23-2010, 01:46 PM
Launching!

Hmmm those L92 Heads flow pretty good out of the box. If I get the TSP heads, can I drop a bigger cam...and get benefit?? The HP that Car-craft came up with are pretty good.. Maybe someone from TSP and give me some insight?? Stock bottom end LQ4 with the carb set up
Old 02-23-2010, 01:47 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

As stated, the PRC heads are fully CNC ported with a competition valve-job, your choice of valves, and the spring kit of your choice as well! When you price around the CNC work and all, the PRC heads are very competitively priced for the performance you gain versus a stock L92 head!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 02-23-2010, 01:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 69LT1Bird
Why not just go to Scroggin Dickey's site and look up information instead of getting the wrong info on here.

GMPP heads stock and upgraded springs

SD's own CNC ported heads
Yeah I looked the the upgrade springs one..and came up with the 1100 number.. they flow like crazy..L92/L76 fully assembled Factory GM cylinder head for your GEN3 or 4 engine. Stock "out-of-the-box" heads will flow over 320cfm! Im running a stock bottom end..
Old 02-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
As stated, the PRC heads are fully CNC ported with a competition valve-job, your choice of valves, and the spring kit of your choice as well! When you price around the CNC work and all, the PRC heads are very competitively priced for the performance you gain versus a stock L92 head!
Good info.. Luckily.. I'm not so concerned about price..Im just looking for benefit vs dollars on a stock bottom end..( let me quantify stock, Im going to have the bottom done, bearings, maybe .30 over.., im not boosting or nitrous)
Old 02-23-2010, 02:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The intake flow on out of the box heads is good, but the exhaust flow is a bit on the low side. The CNC heads will pick up the exhaust flow making them a better overall head. Getting air in the cylinder quickly doesn't do much good if you can't get it out efficiently.

Last edited by 5.3LJimmy; 02-23-2010 at 02:01 PM. Reason: I can't type.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:08 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by 5.3LJimmy
The intake flow on out of the box heads is good, but the exhaust flow is a bit on the low side. The CNC heads will pick up the exhaust flow making them a better overall head. Getting air in the cylinder quickly doesn't do much good if you can't get it out efficiently.
The exhaust is weak relative to the intake port, but not when you compare the LS3 exhaust to the old exhaust ports in the cathedral port heads and such. Nobody ever really complained much about their exhaust flow though.

It's really just a matter of picking a camshaft with the right exhaust valve events to help all of that air out.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 02-23-2010, 03:22 PM
11 Second Club

Here is a good comparison, Edelbrock big block Chevy heads

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...erf_rpm3.shtml

Edelbrock BBC 320 intake and 211 exhaust @ .600

L92/LS3 at about 320 intake and 208 exhaust @ .600

Not sure where its lacking either.

Quick Reply: L92 Heads whats the difference in price