Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help!! heads leaking

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help!! heads leaking

i just got done putting my heads and engine back in and the heads are leaking from the top and we did everything write what could it be?/ the gasket or what?? please help asap!!! thanks dwayne
Old 12-28-2003, 04:17 PM
TECH Junkie

I would guess its a gasket but exactly what do you mean from the top? Is it liquid that is leaking or air? It may be a valve if its only air.
Old 12-28-2003, 04:45 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know 98's need different head gaskets if 98 heads are being used.

Matter's on where it is leaking out of the top.
Old 12-28-2003, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

liquid out of the top head bolt by the intake
Old 12-28-2003, 05:46 PM
TECH Junkie

sounds like a gasket,, did you do the tq sequence correctly?
Old 12-28-2003, 07:48 PM
TECH Resident

Did you check to make sure you have the gaskets on the correct side? Probably would cause some overheating also.....
Ain't this fun.....
Old 12-28-2003, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

this is pissing me off. i just got everything done and put the fluid in right before i started it and then i noticed it was leaking... we put them on correctly and was wondering if the gaskets would heat up and form the seal but it was way to much antifreeze coming out the top bolts by the intake... we did them corectly and when we noticed it was leaking, we made sure and they were right... everything is brand new. the block, heads and gaskets and bolts... i got the gaskets from o'reily's... i wonder if thats the problem???? any thoughts??? thanks... dwayne
Old 12-28-2003, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

Just a thought. Been a couple years since I did heads and on an LT1 the last time... Anyway, I swear I put thread sealant on every one of my head bolts. Could be wrong (poor memory). Just a thought. Here's one more thought: all the pipe plugs are removed from the heads when the head porter gets the heads. Most put them back in but some don't. If this isn't the case and I am way off just disregaurd.
Old 12-28-2003, 11:40 PM
jmX
TECH Junkie

Exactly which bolt hole is it coming out of? Can you take a pic? What size ratchet goes on it? Is it one of the 5 10mm head bolts that's under the intake?

I see no way for coolant to just spill out of a bolt hole (with a bolt in it) when there's not even any pressure in the cooling system...you have a hole somewhere, whether it be from a gasket, or an overported head, or something. We need better/more info.
Old 12-28-2003, 11:55 PM
TECH Resident

I'll be willing to bet you that you forgot to put the coolant plug into the passenger side head in the hole near the firewall that corresponds to the same hole in the driver's side head that accepts the coolant temperature sensor. Didn't 'cha?

Check that location. I'll bet that's your issue.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

yes, it is coming out of a 10mm bolt by the intake.. and i have no clue why its coming out of there... i thought it was the little lines under the intake but i got a towel and dried the water and you could see it coming out of the 10mm head bolt and the radiator wasnt even full yet!! i thought when the heads heated up it would seal but that is way to much water to leak through.. no tellin how much got in the head and into the oil.. so any thing point towards the gasket being bad or what?? im totally lost on this!!!
Old 12-29-2003, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

nope... thats not it... but i almost did forget that though!!! LOL THANKS THOUGH im up for any thoughts or ideas!!!
Old 12-29-2003, 12:10 AM
TECH Resident

Damn! I was hoping for the prize! That happened to a couple of us on an install. We thought we had it all back together and right before start-up...COOLANT all over the floor. Took us 30 minutes to find that one! Needless to say, that wont happen again. I sure hope you find it soon.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like the head gasket isn't matching up right. There should be no leaks. Heat cycling the engine won't seal anything. Probably goin to have to tear those heads of and figure out why it's leaking.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

so that means i would have to get new head bolts also right??? or could i reuse the ones i just bought?? i have heard of people doing it but im not to sure i would after this!! so i have to do that again.. this time in the car instead of a motor stand... that sucks!!!
Old 12-29-2003, 01:50 AM
jmX
TECH Junkie

I dont think coolant can possibly come out of a bolt hole, especially if its enough that you can see it pouring out. Maybe its coming out right above the bolt hole?

There *is* a bolt in the hole right? There shouldnt be enough clearance between the head of the bolt and the head itself to let water through unless its under pressure (and even then there shouldnt be coolant at that hole).

Maybe there's a crack in the intake port letting coolant come into the port and come out of the head?

Most gasket leaks will happen down by the headers, not the intake, so I'm not sure its the gasket, but it definitly could be. A photo would possibly help figure this one out, I have to say its the first time I've heard of something like this as you are describing it. Good luck!
Old 12-29-2003, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

i wouldnt think that water could come out where the bolt is either but a got a towl and dried it and and the little area below the head bolt filled up with water in about 3 seconds!!! could it be the head?? thanks!!! and how could i tell if it is the head??
Old 12-29-2003, 09:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Are these ported heads; sounds like a classic case of overporting....
Old 12-29-2003, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I do not think the head is overported.If for some reason you need new heads I will swap them out for you.I offer a 90day replacement for manufacturer defects.Please call or email me and let me know of the status.Thanks, Terry