Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ms3 cam and what heads??

Old 02-26-2010, 02:14 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ms3 cam and what heads??

So I am on a budget of sorts. I am looking to go with the MS3 cam for sure, and add a 100hp shot. Currently I have a set of 243 ls6 heads (from an 01 zo6 so no light valves). My options are 3 things. 1. Do i just go with the stock untouched heads and cam? This is the most cost effective and original idea. 2. Have these heads ported by TSP/TEA or whoever. or finally 3. Sell these and pair those funds with my own and pick up a set of PRC stg 2.5 5.3l heads. Since this combo is quite popular.
I thought I had my plan all hashed out(#1), but now, I don't know. I don't want to kick myself later with what if, and Should haves. Mods at the bottom and I am an M6. I welcome any and all suggestions.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:05 AM
Staging Lane

It all depends on your future plans for the car if you want to stay stock cubes I say go with the 5.3s fully ported out they flow really good, and increase your compression slightly along with creating more velocity with the airflow. You should get heads or cam in a package deal that ones strengths compensate for the others weakness.

I run an HPE S cam which is almost identical to an MS3 seriously and it's a good mid-top end cam the 5.3 heads would help you down low and mid, but also flow better up top than stock heads.

If you are planning on a stroker motor I would say hog out the 243 heads then because they have more potential to out flow the 5.3s in the long run.

IMO if you want a H/C car then I wouldnt put spray to it on a stock bottom end. I know some people will have luck for a little while, but a good power making H/C car will put enough stress on a stock bottom end without hitting it with juice that would be iffy for me but thats my .02 on it.

Besides our engines don't need boost, or spray to have a car that would break off 95% of the street cars out there. We can do that on a stock bottom end even
Old 02-26-2010, 08:30 AM
Banned

I had a MS3 with stg 1 LS6 and my torque was sh!!$y. Make sure that cam has lots of compression.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:57 PM
Launching!

I am leaning towards the 5.3l design more and more. I know some people weren't as happy with their dyno numbers with those heads, honestly that won't bother me as much as long as the car performs on the track.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:23 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Send the 243s to TSP to get worked over and save yourself some money

Search this Thread