Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

machine shop sucks any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 06:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default machine shop sucks any advice?

i took a lq4 stock short block, a vindicator cam, and a set of 59cc patriot stg 3 ls6 heads. and told him to fly cut the pistons... 6 months later (this week) he tells me that he found out that the stock pistons arent thick enough to fly cut and he only knows of one company that sells pistons for the 6.098 stock length rods. HOW DOES IT TAKE 6 MONTHS TO FIGURE THIS OUT!

anyone else have trouble flycutting stock pistons? is there any other brands of pistons to run on stock length rods?

im trying to put a budget build together and paying 700-800 for pistons and another 100 for rings.. and he would want me to bore it. thats another 200 i think. thats out of my budget.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The machine I use, basically said the same thing to me about fly cutting the stock LQ4 pistons. They have done it in the past with good and bad results but don't like doing it anymore, so I am going to run a little different cam with my setup this year. I was kind of on the fence about fly cutting the stockers in the first place, but after I talk with them I made my final decision.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ricknbird350
i took a lq4 stock short block, a vindicator cam, and a set of 59cc patriot stg 3 ls6 heads. and told him to fly cut the pistons... 6 months later (this week) he tells me that he found out that the stock pistons arent thick enough to fly cut and he only knows of one company that sells pistons for the 6.098 stock length rods. HOW DOES IT TAKE 6 MONTHS TO FIGURE THIS OUT!

anyone else have trouble flycutting stock pistons? is there any other brands of pistons to run on stock length rods?

im trying to put a budget build together and paying 700-800 for pistons and another 100 for rings.. and he would want me to bore it. thats another 200 i think. thats out of my budget.
Did he tell you how deep the cuts need to be? I believe the stockers can be cut, but I wouldn't want to go very deep into them.

Quick Reply: machine shop sucks any advice?