Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: 12-14 feet in each direction, what size oil cooler lines?Street F/I 347 with LS6 pump
100.00%
0%
0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Long oil cooler lines, LS6 pump...-8?-10?-12?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 04:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long oil cooler lines, LS6 pump...-8?-10?-12?

I'm moving my nascar pull-off Setrab 2x19x27 oil cooler from my rear wing

to on top of the radiator in the front of the car (LONG 11ft feed and 11 ft return)
to make room in the wing for the intercooler

I'm in a dispute with my buddy that's got a sick 89 S10 LS 383. He says I need to run a larger feed and return (-12) so there's less resistance but more volume.
I argue that having a larger line will bring my idle oil PSI to low, i.e. 10-15 psi.

I'm thinking a -8 would be beneficial in such a long run and will give me sufficient flow into such a large oil cooler on the street with the new F/I setup. As it is, with a 48'' -10 feed and 39'' return it's capacity is 10.5 qts. I don't think I need more volume.

Also, I'm using a LS6 oil pump. I don't have the funds for dry sump yet. It'll come.

If a long 12-14 ft (each direction) line makes the oil system unreliable, I can figure something out. I'm currently fitting a new wide body (camera died yesterday when I was planning on starting a build thread, but it's just another 993 turbo S, I might want to add an exterior LS1-TT hint though), and will have more room in the rear fenders. I might have to ditch my precious Setrab oil cooler for a smaller one with a fan. But for now, I want to try the long oil lines to the front since I won't have to add another fan and it'll have plenty of air flow with the new bumper.

So what do you think? -8,-10,-12 running to/from a -10 moroso sandwich filter adapter?
Old 02-28-2010, 04:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

No oil Tstat. I'll think about one once I decide on line I.D.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bumpers
Old 02-28-2010, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Your buddy is correct - to travel more distance larger lines will minimize the oil pressure drop. If the drop is too large, which I think is unlikely using a -12, you could add an Accusump (from Canton Racing, or Moroso) to maintain pressure with absolute certainty.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Darkman
Your buddy is correct - to travel more distance larger lines will minimize the oil pressure drop. If the drop is too large, which I think is unlikely using a -12, you could add an Accusump (from Canton Racing, or Moroso) to maintain pressure with absolute certainty.
Wouldn't pushing more volume at slow speeds result in lower pressure as opposed to less volume through a smaller orifice?

Thanks for your reply.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

I haven't told my buddy about this thread. Maybe once I get more votes for -8 bump for Monday
Old 03-01-2010, 08:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lazylongboarder
Wouldn't pushing more volume at slow speeds result in lower pressure as opposed to less volume through a smaller orifice?

Thanks for your reply.
I follow your thinking, but it happens to be wrong. The oil pump is a pressure regulated constant volume device. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOiHdIXVWE8)

If you have two lines (the -12 and the -8) using the same oil pump cover the same distance - the larger line will deliver oil at the other end at higher residual pressure, always. This is because the pump is pressure regulated and will pressure both lines to the same inlet pressure (per square inch) and flow the same volume into the line. In operation, the larger volume contained within the larger line will contain more "stored" pressure than the smaller line. Additionally, the advantage of the larger line becomes more dramatic the longer the distance involved.

Rather than take the word of some guy on the internet (me) I would suggest you call Canton Racing. I talked to them at length when I was designing an Accusump setup for my car (a CTS-V). Canton sells oil cooling systems, the Accusump, and AN hoses and fittings (among other things). They are very knowledgeable on the subject of designing oil cooling/pressurizing systems of various lengths in various applications. Just ask them how large the line needs to be to feed an oil cooler over various distances. (They are not high-pressure sales types either.)
Old 03-01-2010, 10:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Darkman
I follow your thinking, but it happens to be wrong. The oil pump is a pressure regulated constant volume device. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOiHdIXVWE8)

If you have two lines (the -12 and the -8) using the same oil pump cover the same distance - the larger line will deliver oil at the other end at higher residual pressure, always. This is because the pump is pressure regulated and will pressure both lines to the same inlet pressure (per square inch) and flow the same volume into the line. In operation, the larger volume contained within the larger line will contain more "stored" pressure than the smaller line. Additionally, the advantage of the larger line becomes more dramatic the longer the distance involved.

Rather than take the word of some guy on the internet (me) I would suggest you call Canton Racing. I talked to them at length when I was designing an Accusump setup for my car (a CTS-V). Canton sells oil cooling systems, the Accusump, and AN hoses and fittings (among other things). They are very knowledgeable on the subject of designing oil cooling/pressurizing systems of various lengths in various applications. Just ask them how large the line needs to be to feed an oil cooler over various distances. (They are not high-pressure sales types either.)

Thanks for your reply.

I just talked to Tim @ Canton and also Louis @ LG.

Tim @ Canton says -10 with no supporting reasons why. He might not be familiar with the LS motor's but I was put on hold 3 times for him to "check his catalog". Nice guy though

Louis @ LG is suggesting -8 for long runs but says he has no experience with longer runs than 48''. He further solidified my reasoning when he explained a larger line will result in lower idle psi...

I'm getting conflicting info. What do you guys think?

I'll call a couple more sponsors on here an post the news.

Quick Reply: Long oil cooler lines, LS6 pump...-8?-10?-12?