Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil squirters

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 01:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil squirters

ok i've searched and not found anything on this for the ls1's so i'm going to post this. Some engines are equiped with oil squirters to oil cool the pistons to help reduce warping and detonation. awesome for boost.

usually the squirter is a small nozzle like thing that bolts right underneath the skirt of the sleeve or piston camber and squirts oil up into the piston. thus cooling it and keeping detonation down. I've heard of sbc blocks getting this done but never on a ls1.

so my question is this, does anyone know of this being done and if so who and were and what product is being used to install them.

from what i believe i think it's just tapping into the oil channels in the block heading towards the head and running it into the squirter and all you'd have to do then is get a higher rated oil pump.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The "oil channels" that get oil from the block to the heads are the pushrods.

Though I am familiar with this concept, I have never heard of an SBC w/ this mod (though I'll be the first to admit that there are plenty of things out there that I have never seen). Usually, in the OHV world, when someone refers to "oil squirters", they are referring to an oil bar in each valve cover that is used to squirt oil on the valve springs in an effort to keep them cool and increase longevity.

However, I am remotely familiar with some import motors that have the feature that you're describing. For instance, the Toyota MR2 turbo motors. However, it takes a different block (for the turbo motor vs. the N/A motor). It would be easier to do in an OHC motor because at that point, there WOULD be pressurized oil passages through the block up into the head (oil has to get up to the cams somehow). However, if you really wanted to do it on an OHV motor, it'd have to be done similar to the oiler valve covers... you'd have to find a pressurized oil passage (i.e., SBC's have a port at the rear of the motor between the distributor and the driver's side head), tap into it, and run lines to fabbed rails that you had installed in the block at the bottom of the cylinders. A pretty serious pain in the ***, IMO.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:40 PM
Teching In

I see, so this is probably the reason no ls1 or ls6 has them. oh well I do appreciate the reply with some good info. would like to see what others say too
Old 12-30-2003, 04:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have not heard of anyone doing this on LSx's and only of a very few guys who did it with small block chevy's. with coatings and better the tuning capabilities they are not a necesity for power today. as well i have read recently of guys doing away with them when doign a build up.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you would need oil galleries in just the right position in order to do this. I don't think ours were machined for this.
Old 12-31-2003, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

somebody been reading maximum boost?
Old 01-01-2004, 04:26 AM
Teching In

actually i don't read maximum boost. I've read turbo a few times but nothing in there showed the oil squirters. i've only seen them on a few sbc's and was told of it's effect on pistons during boost to help elliminate dentonation.
Old 03-26-2024, 09:51 AM
Teching In

Default LS oil squirters

Originally Posted by N3kidFrog
I see, so this is probably the reason no ls1 or ls6 has them. oh well I do appreciate the reply with some good info. would like to see what others say too
The factory LS7 and ls9 came with oil squirters from factory you can drill and tap a ls1 and add the squirters I've done it on a LS 5.3
Old 03-26-2024, 10:41 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,079 Posts

Originally Posted by KUSTOM FAB
The factory LS7 and ls9 came with oil squirters from factory you can drill and tap a ls1 and add the squirters I've done it on a LS 5.3
Negative. LS7 does not have squirters. LS9 and LSA do have the squirters. I’ve seen many aluminum LS blocks with squirters added by shops. It’s fairly common. I personally like the kits from Get’M Performance. You can easily do it yourself for about $450. This is a 20 year old thread btw…
The following 2 users liked this post by Che70velle:
Firebirdmuscle (03-30-2024), G Atsma (03-26-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Gallery Pistons

Gallery pistons are made in a way that allows the Oil Jets to "inject" COOL oil into the piston.
I have installed this type of piston in an engine.

Quick Reply: oil squirters