Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

comp 1.72 ultra golds ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 07:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default comp 1.72 ultra golds ?

hey guys i just bought a set of 1.72 comp ultra golds, anyone run them? looking for opinions on these as well as any notable power increase....i know harland sharp advertises a 8-10whp gain and was wondering if you guys think i would get that out of these?
mainly wondering what you guys think of the rocker in general...thanks
Old 03-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NAAllTheWay
hey guys i just bought a set of 1.72 comp ultra golds, anyone run them? looking for opinions on these as well as any notable power increase....i know harland sharp advertises a 8-10whp gain and was wondering if you guys think i would get that out of these?
I wouldn't expect much of a horsepower gain from a stock roller rocker to an aftermarket roller rocker if they were the same ratio. You may see some increase from additional lift if the ratio is greater than stock. If you went from a non-roller rocker like the old small block rockers I would expect to see a power increase and 8-10 horsepower is possible.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

First and foremost stay the hell away from HS. The HS rockers are know to cause valve train failure.

Second you do not gain any hp from switching to roller rockers. Roller rockers are the most unsafe way to raise final lift numbers if your whole valve train is not made to run with the 1.8 rockers like the LS7 valve train is built.

Third if you are running stock heads (ie 853, 241, 243, 317, etc...) these heads are not made to run with a 1.8 rocker ratio.

The only time I would suggest using after market rockers is if you have aftermarket heads like TF and so on and then I would suggest Yella Terra rockers. The stock rockers are great rockers specially if you do the trunnion upgrade you will not encounter any issues. If any one tell you differently they are trying to take your money.

Last piece of advice, get a cam that has the lift you are looking for and build your heads and valve-train to match. With a correctly set up cam/head combo and match you will see more than just 10 hp gain and you will have a valve-train that will last as long as you give it the correct maintenance.

good luck
Old 03-09-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Regular

thanks i appreciate the info....what wound up happening was i was at an auto show and the guy tried to sell me comp 1.75's and i told him i wasnt interested because i always heard to stay with 1.7's and thats when he showed me the ulta-golds and told me they had them in a 1.7 so i baught them. When i got home i wanted to check something about them and typed 1.7 in the search engine and all that ever came up was 1.72 so i found out the guy was either dump or a liar, now i hope that going from a 1.7 stocker to a comp 1.72 fully adjustable shouldnt be that big of a deal as they are pretty close? vs going all the way up to a 1.8 im only going to a 1.72 shouldnt be an earth shattering difference right?
Old 03-09-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks i appreciate the info....what wound up happening was i was at an auto show and the guy tried to sell me comp 1.75's and i told him i wasnt interested because i always heard to stay with 1.7's and thats when he showed me the ulta-golds and told me they had them in a 1.7 so i baught them. When i got home i wanted to check something about them and typed 1.7 in the search engine and all that ever came up was 1.72 so i found out the guy was either dump or a liar, now i hope that going from a 1.7 stocker to a comp 1.72 fully adjustable shouldnt be that big of a deal as they are pretty close? vs going all the way up to a 1.8 im only going to a 1.72 shouldnt be an earth shattering difference right?
Not at all but make sure you have all the accompanying equipment. The right springs and rods for it. Remember you are still going to raise lift ever so slightly. You have to make sure that all your tolerances are with in spec and you need to check every so often your set up. Some people who have run roller rockers with stock heads have encountered the screw backing out specially in the stud mounted rollers. Again this is just advice, all the advice I ever got was free not following it cost me money.

good luck
Old 03-11-2010, 12:19 AM
TECH Regular

yea i have the patriot stage 2 ls6 heads which comes with the patriot gold dual race springs good to 650 lift and all the other goodies also have chromoly pushrods so hopefully thats all the extra stuff i need you were refereing to?
Old 03-11-2010, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea i have the patriot stage 2 ls6 heads which comes with the patriot gold dual race springs good to 650 lift and all the other goodies also have chromoly pushrods so hopefully thats all the extra stuff i need you were refereing to?
roger
Old 03-11-2010, 12:33 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1.72 will just be ever so slight change. I bet you will be fine.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What did he want for them? If they were the ones around 700, there's better places to put you money for the horsepower.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:25 PM
TECH Regular

no baught them brand new from the a vendor $372.....thats why i snagged em up