Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first time at engine dyno - turning water pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 11:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default first time at engine dyno - turning water pump

I've got an LS1 that was pulled from an 00 vette that i converted to carb. I'm using a 750 Demon, Edelbrock Performer intake, and MSD 6010 box. I'd like to take it to the dyno to see what it would do.

I've never been before so I called them to ask them what I should bring or not bring. They said the power steering pump would not be connected (if it was, it would be run dry and that would burn it up).

What I'm wondering now is, on the stock pulley system, the crank rotates one way and the water pump rotates the opposite direction. For the purposes of the dyno, how do I run the belt so that the water pump rotates the correct way? Should I just get some sort of pulley in place of the power steering pump?

Thanks for any help/advice from anyone that's dynoed their carbed LS1.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by demonpixel
I've got an LS1 that was pulled from an 00 vette that i converted to carb. I'm using a 750 Demon, Edelbrock Performer intake, and MSD 6010 box. I'd like to take it to the dyno to see what it would do.

I've never been before so I called them to ask them what I should bring or not bring. They said the power steering pump would not be connected (if it was, it would be run dry and that would burn it up).

What I'm wondering now is, on the stock pulley system, the crank rotates one way and the water pump rotates the opposite direction. For the purposes of the dyno, how do I run the belt so that the water pump rotates the correct way? Should I just get some sort of pulley in place of the power steering pump?

Thanks for any help/advice from anyone that's dynoed their carbed LS1.

No you just take a short belt and run it over the crank and past the water pump, some say you take out the lower alternator bolt, I did it because someone told me I had to but I think it would have cleared if I remember right, going out to the garage to get you the belt number now..

Okay the belt number ( duralast than can be crossed to whatever ) is a 522K6 another number on there than can be crossed is 6PK1325

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 03-08-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Route it like this, by the way I keep this in my car at all times because I had a P/S pulley come apart and this is what I did to get by till the next day, I keep the belt and a ratchet with a 15mm socket on it

Old 03-08-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
No you just take a short belt and run it over the crank and past the water pump, some say you take out the lower alternator bolt, I did it because someone told me I had to but I think it would have cleared if I remember right, going out to the garage to get you the belt number now..

Okay the belt number ( duralast than can be crossed to whatever ) is a 522K6 another number on there than can be crossed is 6PK1325
Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Route it like this, by the way I keep this in my car at all times because I had a P/S pulley come apart and this is what I did to get by till the next day, I keep the belt and a ratchet with a 15mm socket on it
I love you.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by demonpixel
i love you.
lmao!

Quick Reply: first time at engine dyno - turning water pump