Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which pistons should I go with Diamond vs Lunati? For my 409ci?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 06:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which pistons should I go with Diamond vs Lunati? For my 409ci?

Well some of you might have read my last thread about my 408 that needed to be honed
I now have to go with a 4.040 bore. I would like to know who you guys would go with and why?
Diamond or Lunati?
I am also open to going with another piston besides the 2

I am planing to start with a 200 shot and then later on move up to a 300 shot. So both of these seem to hold up fine with a lot of nitrous
I was told I should go with a reverse dome, does it matter? My current pistons in my shortblock were Lunati -13cc reverse dome

Last edited by SStroked 408; 12-30-2003 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:57 AM
Launching!

I personally would go with Diamond. LOL, pretty obvious ha? Here's why...
1.) Tech support on this board
2.) More pistons on the shelf for LS1's than any other company. This may keep you from needing customs
3.) Our shelf pistons are designed for moderate nitrous use and we also have blower/turbo pistons on the shelf.
4.) Our blower/turbo specific shelf pistons were designed to handle up to 20 psi of boost.

If you have any questions please feel free to PM me or call me. Thanks for posting us as one of your choices.

Thanks,
Chris Gelineau
Diamond Pistons
586-792-6620
Old 12-31-2003, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DIAMOND
I personally would go with Diamond. LOL, pretty obvious ha? Here's why...
1.) Tech support on this board
2.) More pistons on the shelf for LS1's than any other company. This may keep you from needing customs
3.) Our shelf pistons are designed for moderate nitrous use and we also have blower/turbo pistons on the shelf.
4.) Our blower/turbo specific shelf pistons were designed to handle up to 20 psi of boost.

If you have any questions please feel free to PM me or call me. Thanks for posting us as one of your choices.

Thanks,
Chris Gelineau
Diamond Pistons
586-792-6620
Don't forget about the great customer service!

Chris spent numerous phone calls with me helping me decide on my choice of pistons...

I will definitely be a repeat customer just because of the service level alone....
Old 12-31-2003, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SStroked, I plan on using Diamond pistons when I start building mine soon. Most reasons are as stated above.

Casey
Old 12-31-2003, 12:12 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I used Diamond for my blower motor because Chris was super responsive in IM and he knows a lot about LS1 setups since he used to work for Katech.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I used Diamond for my blower motor because Chris was super responsive in IM and he knows a lot about LS1 setups since he used to work for Katech.
I just noticed you finally got an actual self-photo for your signature, PSJ.

I'll now recognize you anywhere.
Old 12-31-2003, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Chris is the man at Diamond. Gets things done and gets you exactly what you want..especially when it comes to custom pistons.
Old 12-31-2003, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Diamond. why are pistons rated at psi and not hp/tq/heat/rpm/or someother factor? is it just simpler to say psi as opposed to xxxtq/xx*F/x,xxxrpm/and so on?
Old 12-31-2003, 05:58 PM
TECH Regular

How much nitrous could Diamond pistons handle without problems if everything else is fine fuel/tuning? I was told that if I threw the 300 shot at it those pistons would just laugh at it

I just want to make sure that I get the best parts.
Customer service is important but I am not too worried about customer service because if I get a good piston from the start I hope I wont have to keep calling the companys customer service line.
Will either of these handle the kind of power I am looking for....about 800rwhp with the 300 shot?
Thanks for the replys
Old 12-31-2003, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SStroked 408
Well some of you might have read my last thread about my 408 that needed to be honed
I now have to go with a 4.040 bore. I would like to know who you guys would go with and why?
Diamond or Lunati?
I am also open to going with another piston besides the 2

I am planing to start with a 200 shot and then later on move up to a 300 shot. So both of these seem to hold up fine with a lot of nitrous
I was told I should go with a reverse dome, does it matter? My current pistons in my shortblock were Lunati -13cc reverse dome

Definitely go with REVERSE dome. It will give you more PV clearance, better flame travel. I would also HIGHLY reccomend you get those pistions thermally coated.
Old 12-31-2003, 07:09 PM
FormerVendor

Hey Chris, did you have Diamond pistons in the golf cart that rode a wheelie for 30 ft at the Shootout??

FWIW, I run Diamonds in my set up. They have held up just fine so far. Been spraying quite a few 200 hits to them and they dont seem to mind. Ill be trying out the 250 or even 300s @ the Tuner Shootout
Old 01-03-2004, 01:16 PM
TECH Regular

Chris @ DIAMOND

Will the
3.) Our shelf pistons are designed for moderate nitrous use
be able to handle a 300 shot (800rwhp)?
Or would I need to get them thermally coated
if I did get the 4.040 pistons and thermally coated how much would I need to bore my motor still 4.040?

Cammin Beast
how much power you making with that 200 shot on those diamonds?
Old 01-03-2004, 04:48 PM
Pathological Modifier

SStroked, Just give Chris a call. He is the man and he can answer any of your questions. All else fails, they design a hell of a custom piston. Hey thats what I am running in my 414.

Ryan K.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:30 AM
Launching!

SStroked, if your tune up is good on the nitrous our shelf stock pistons will be able to handle the 300 shot you are looking at throwing at it. If your tune up isn't though....you will very little on the side of error. One mistake on tuning and you could lift the ring land or blow a hole through the piston. We rate our shelf stock pistons at 200-250 hp of nitrous to give the everyday guy a little error factor built into the pistons. I would say the ceramic dome coatings is well worth the money. Especially if it is a power adder engine. Even with the coatings you still would go with the 4.040 bore. Moral of the story here, if you know your going to put more than 250hp worth of nitrous at your car probably wouldn't be a bad idea to go ahead and get a custom piston made.

Cammin, I can't tell you the specific's of that highly modded golf cart at the Thunder Race.......it is part of our top secret golf cart develpoement. LOL, no Diamonds in it, we didn't get that far before the track manager told us to turn in the golf cart and revoked our golf cart license.

BigplanT/A, We rate the boost pistons at 20psi to help ease the customer in making his selection. We could rate it in horsepower but I thought that for a boost piston it would be easier if we went with the boost number we designed the piston to handle. On most of our other pistons we do rate them by HP.

Quick Reply: Which pistons should I go with Diamond vs Lunati? For my 409ci?