Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First start questions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 03:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up First start questions?

Ok we just got my heads/cam swap finished. we started my car up tonight and it started right up and idled on its own, oil pressure came right up, it warmed up to about 210 degrees in about 15 minutes, which is what it ran at before the swap. it will continue to keep itself running until i rev it up a bit then it has a hard time keeping an idle, so i have to bring it down slow. it hasnt been tuned yet so i figure this is all normal. It was running pretty lean to start off with, we let it run about 30 min or so, it started to richen out a little bit but i shut it down because it was late and i didnt want to p.o. the neighbors. Is it ok to drive untuned? Should i drive it with it running very lean? i dont want to mess anyhting up. The local shop isnt open for tuning till April 1st so i have to wait till then to get it tuned. I dont plan on beating the snot out of it until it is tuned, but i wanna drive it a little bit. Whats everybodys advice on driving it lean? is it ok to start up and let idle to operating temp if its running lean? The exhaust burnt my eyes and nose, didnt smell any fuel in it so im just basing it off of my experience that its lean, i do not ahve a wide band. Opinions please
Old 03-11-2010, 04:27 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How drastic of a h/c did you do to this car? If its a ridiculous change from stock and you didnt have a tune of any sort prior I would drive it as LITTLE as possible. Also, did you change anything in the arena of fueling? Injectors, pumps, rails...&c.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:19 AM
Staging Lane

5.3l stage 2 heads and medium size cam w/ fast 92mm intake and 42lbs injector. No upgrade on fuel pump.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would not even start the car on those 42# injectors if it wasnt tuned for those specifically. You can hurt the motor by washing down the cylinders that way.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Launching!

Just put back stock injectors till you get to the tuner.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:53 AM
Staging Lane

ok i already started it, ran pretty good considering, i drove it a little bit today and didnt have any problems, just some idle issues, high idle after load, then after a couple minutes it would settle down. it was running pretty lean so i didnt want to drive it alot, just to get it warm. i started it up tonight to let it idle up to temp so i can get my springs heat cycled (read that they needed heat cycled, read that they didnt, better safe than sorry) before i take it to get it tuned since i have to wait till mid april anyway (when local shop opens). it idled fine for a few minutes then it choked out and died, i tried restarting it and it wouldnt start, it smelled pretty gassy in the engine bay so im assuming it flooded out? i left the battery charger on it, im going to try turning it over in the morning after the battery charges. I wont drive it again until i get it tuned, any other suggestions on the issue of it dying and not restarting? It takes quite awhile and quite a bit of extra fuel to wash down a cylinder doesnt it? It has ran maybe a total of a couple hours and i put 3 miles on it today i think..
Old 03-12-2010, 03:12 AM
Launching!

I hope you aren't running it with 42 lb injectors on the stock tune.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:10 AM
12 Second Club

do NOT drive the car anymore if its stock tune and your running 42's asking for trouble.

3 hours is a long time....

Chad
Old 03-12-2010, 04:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like everyone said the fuel will wash out cylinder. It dosen't take as long as you think, you dont want to learn the hard way.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:26 AM
Staging Lane

i appreciate the feedback, i wasnt aware that bigger injectors alone could cause damage, the guys i got my parts from never mentioned it. it is stock tune, i just got the motor together. anybody have any idea what might have happened? i guess i have never had a cylinder wash out on me so i dont know what it will act like. Also, i was told i can download a tune from someone else and have it installed in my car as sort of a "quick fix" before i get it dyno tuned, anybody know anything about this?
Old 03-12-2010, 04:29 AM
Staging Lane

if i remember correctly the guy that is doing my tuning said it was something like holdenspeed.com or holdenracing.com to get a tune, ive never heard of this
Old 03-12-2010, 04:36 AM
12 Second Club

only way to get a tune is to flash the computer, for HPtuners you'd have to spend money on credits ($50/credit requires 2)

just wait till your tuner/shop opens again...

you have to realize the computer has no idea what injectors you put in and still thinks its the stockers and is dumping insane amounts of fuel.

Chad
Old 03-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks chad, that makes sense. So is it possible for my computer to just flip flop and go from running really lean to super rich?
Old 03-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Launching!

Man just put the stockers back on till you tune it. Better safe than sorry
Old 03-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

ill probably leave it how it is and not drive it, i have a FAST 92mm intake, if i put stock injectors back in wont it run too lean with the bigger intake? I talked to a shop about installing a HP tune, not real familiar with the tuning process, can someone explain that to me? I had the option of HP Tune and SCT Tune, it will need something before it gets to the dyno in order to get it running right, correct?
Old 03-12-2010, 03:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by baddbird99
ill probably leave it how it is and not drive it, i have a FAST 92mm intake, if i put stock injectors back in wont it run too lean with the bigger intake? I talked to a shop about installing a HP tune, not real familiar with the tuning process, can someone explain that to me? I had the option of HP Tune and SCT Tune, it will need something before it gets to the dyno in order to get it running right, correct?
Yo, if you are on the stock tune and running on 42 lb injectors you are running quite the opposite of lean. You need to put the stockers back in untill you get it tuned
Old 03-13-2010, 03:34 AM
Staging Lane

OK went back to stock injectors tonight, fired right up and ran good. runs better than it did. smells like its running a little on the lean side but not bad, best i can tell without a wideband.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Change the OIL!!!!!
Old 03-13-2010, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow...just wow...since you clearly haven't educated yourself on efi tuning yet and the suggestions in this thread aren't the greatest, please step away from the car and don't touch it until it has a proper tune in it. you WILL damage your motor regardless of following any of the above suggestions with the amount of time you are running your car.

my suggestion would be to let the car sit...don't even put the key in the ignition and contact a sponsor about getting a mail order tune. this will get you a good ballpark tune that you can drive around on and enjoy until you can get your car to your local tuner and strapped on the dyno.

this will end up costing you a little extra money and downtime while you send your PCM out for a mail order tune, but the mail order tune will allow you to drive the car and the dyno tune will get the tune specifically tailored for your vehicle. mail order tunes are only so accurate since no two cars are the same, even one stock vehicle to another so you still want a dyno/street tune from a knowledgeable local tuner.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:28 PM
Staging Lane

Your right I am not educated on the tuning, thats why i am asking questions about it. You dont need to tell me how ignorant you think i am, if i already knew about it i wouldnt be asking questions. Thats what a forum is for isnt it?