Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All LS heads interchangable?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default All LS heads interchangable?

Looking to switch out the head for my wife's TA and was wanting to go from a 241 casting head to the 243. Doing a search at a local wrecking yard it comes up with a 07 C6 that has a matching head, but thought the 243 heads were specific to LS6 assemblies? Coming off a 07, I imagine they are from a LS2. Is there anything that has to be changed at all when switching to these intake (LS6) and Exhaust wise?

There a list somewhere of heads that can be switched out with no problem or things that have to be done when changing to a specific head? Looked around through the stickies and searched and can't really find a concrete answer that I am comfortable with.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 243 head is a direct swap for the 241, bolt for bolt. If your planning on doing a cam swap in the future, now would be a good time to change the springs while your new heads are off of the car.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

All LS heads are interchangeable the only heads that will not be direct fit are the L92s on an LS1/LS6 they need a minimum 4.00" bore. Also the 806 are perimeter bolt pattern so those are and are not direct fit you have to change them over to center bolt but why would you wan tot do that is beyond me.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slow 346
The 243 head is a direct swap for the 241, bolt for bolt. If your planning on doing a cam swap in the future, now would be a good time to change the springs while your new heads are off of the car.
Fortunately (and unfortunately I suppose too! ) I already did a cam swap and moved the springs over. In doing so I noticed on just about every valve there was an indentation like someone taking off the valve cap stems did it with a screw driver and in the process marred up the valves a bit. Reluctantly I went ahead and threw everything back together and after doing a catch can and and my blue smoke not going away I am pretty sure that with the larger lift on the cam over the stock one it probably tore up the seals and now have oil leaking down the valves. At least I hope this is the issue.

Car always smoked a little bit when I just had bolt ons, and noticed it a couple weeks after I bought it and just ruled it out as the PCV system. Best guess I have is the previous owner missed a gear and messed up the valve train and some shop half assed the job.

I figure if I am taking the heads off, might as well do a cheap college fund upgrade while I am there too. Just hoping the problem isn't something deeper than these valves being a little messed up. So picking up these heads off a 07 Vette would just about irregardless be a slight upgrade over the 241 heads than? Any casting numbers specifically too look for or are they going to most likely be 243 on there?
Old 03-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Teching In

If the 243's are off an LS2 they should have solid valves rather than sodium filled valves off of an LS6. You didn't list what yr the T/A was but I'd recommed changing to an LS6 intake over and LS1 if you do the head swap, the 241 to 243 is a direct swap. I just did the change 3 weeks ago.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think the LS7 heads are an exception also....
Old 03-16-2010, 10:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

243's are the same casting number used on ls6 or ls2's. Like already said the difference is in the 02-04 ls6's got hollow exhaust valves that made for a lighter valve train. The 01 ls6's did not have the hollow exhaust valves.

Yes it is a direct swap for your 241's. The cathedral port heads are all direct swaps. While you can bolt the square port heads to the block there are valve clearance issues and will not work. Square port heads being l92's, ls3's, ls7's, ls9's.