Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think I blew my engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 07:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Think I blew my engine?

I recently noticed a slight tapping from my engine, like valve train noise. It wasn't loud and didnt sound like a rod knocking, and I couldn't hear it at all in lock-up so I didn't think too much of it. Then just now I hear it significantly louder, my initial thought was a shredding belt flapping around, it just kinda had that noise to it. So I pulled over and noticed about 20psi of oil pressure at idle. It was running fine other than making the noise. 160k miles. I just changed the oil two weeks ago. I'm thinking maybe the oil pump went out. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance!

BTW, no trouble codes other than an old P0300 and I was just cruising along about 60 when it happened. Haven't beat on the car in months really, drive it about 4 miles a day, cam and valve springs have been in it for thousands of miles.

Last edited by animuL; 03-15-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by animuL
I recently noticed a slight tapping from my engine, like valve train noise. It wasn't loud and didnt sound like a rod knocking, and I couldn't hear it at all in lock-up so I didn't think too much of it. Then just now I hear it significantly louder, my initial thought was a shredding belt flapping around, it just kinda had that noise to it. So I pulled over and noticed about 20psi of oil pressure at idle. It was running fine other than making the noise. 160k miles. I just changed the oil two weeks ago. I'm thinking maybe the oil pump went out. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance!

BTW, no trouble codes other than an old P0300 and I was just cruising along about 60 when it happened. Haven't beat on the car in months really, drive it about 4 miles a day, cam and valve springs have been in it for thousands of miles.
Not to throw this off-topic or try to "sugar-coat" a diagnosis, but I had something similar happen to my car 2 weekends ago. Girlfriend called me, first words "Dude, your car is FKED!" After talking to her, the car was "knocking" real bad, the SES light was flashing, and it was "running rough, almost shaking". She described the oil pressure as it has been since I bought it, 20psi at a warm idle in gear. Buddy had my truck, and was doing a state inspection on it at the time, so I was alone at home with no vehicle.

Free towing through our insurance company brought the car back here... I fired up the car, popped the hood, it was a loud "ticking" sound. It had just started to get dark and I saw that the back passenger side coil wire had somehow disconnected from the coil itself, and was actually arcing!

Good news was I didn't have to spend thousands on repairs. Bad news is that I'm still wondering HOW that plug wire got disconnected, jumped off, whatever you wanna call it...

Have you tried making sure all your wires are thoroughly connected?
Old 03-15-2010, 10:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mr MasterCraft
Not to throw this off-topic or try to "sugar-coat" a diagnosis, but I had something similar happen to my car 2 weekends ago. Girlfriend called me, first words "Dude, your car is FKED!" After talking to her, the car was "knocking" real bad, the SES light was flashing, and it was "running rough, almost shaking". She described the oil pressure as it has been since I bought it, 20psi at a warm idle in gear. Buddy had my truck, and was doing a state inspection on it at the time, so I was alone at home with no vehicle.

Free towing through our insurance company brought the car back here... I fired up the car, popped the hood, it was a loud "ticking" sound. It had just started to get dark and I saw that the back passenger side coil wire had somehow disconnected from the coil itself, and was actually arcing!

Good news was I didn't have to spend thousands on repairs. Bad news is that I'm still wondering HOW that plug wire got disconnected, jumped off, whatever you wanna call it...

Have you tried making sure all your wires are thoroughly connected?
Thanks for the reply, it would be nice if it was such a harmless issue however I just drained the oil and its as metallic as it gets. Definitely lots of bearing dust in there so I think its time for the engine to come out. Oh well, it will come back bigger, faster, stronger