Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

big problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 11:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big problem

Ok guys I need a little bit of advise, I have a lifter that is stuck, ill give you a little history first, ok well a few weeks ago my car starting ticking/tapping and I found out that the push rod was bent very bad, well I replaced that one pushrod and it ran great with no sounds then a week after that it started ticking again so I ripped off the heads and pulled all the lifters. Well the lifter where the bent push rod is stuck in the hold and won't come out at all, also the lifter tray is broke by that lifter to, the lifter will rotate all the way around and move up and down about a half inch but won't come out, can I just pull the cam and let the lifter fall and pull it out with a magnet? Or what can I do, I'm hoping nothing else got messed up. The ticking was not loud and I stopped driving it as soon as it started. Thanks for any advise
Old 03-21-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The first thing you need to do is go to autozone and buy a lifter removal tool, It is designed to remove stubborn lifters. If that doesnt work Then you do have a problem. Yes you could remove the cam and knock it down, not sure if it would hit the oil pan, prolly end up in the windage tray, Either way you will have to remove the pan to get it out. A complete pita. Best bet is to go get the removal tool and hope for the best.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ill try that tool that I can rent. I can get a decent grip on it with pliers but it still won't shimmy all that way up and out, if I remove the cam can't I just put a magnet in there and then push the lifter down and get it with the magnet so it doesn't hit the oil pan
Old 03-21-2010, 05:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it rotated, the cam is probably damaged. The end of the lifter most likely mushroomed.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

How bad would it damage it. And would it work for a few weeks untill I got another cam or would it be really falt or something
Old 03-22-2010, 05:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok I got the lifter out with the tool, the cam is bad and ill stick a new one in it, the lifter bore has some light scratches but the new lifter goes in and out very smoothly so should I be alright?
Also the motor has 144k on it so its not worth pulling it and taking it aprt just to clean the shavings out, so I figurded I would change the oil twice before driving it and once after 50 miles or less
Old 03-22-2010, 06:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Put all new lifter guides in, don't use the old ones.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have new lifter trays/guides, ls7 lifters and push rods, also now a new cam, so after putting it back together let's hope all is good, also I didn't get any coolant in my head bolt holes like a lot of people do, so I guess I just got lucky on that for easy cleaning