Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So no engine swap. Just gonna rebuild my LS1. Which internal parts??

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default So no engine swap. Just gonna rebuild my LS1. Which internal parts??

Just to make things simple, I'm just gonna have my LS1 rebuilt with better, lighter, stronger internal parts. I hear a lot about forged pistons, but why?? I wanna replace whatever internal parts that's a must. Maybe all. I'm just wandering; what kinda pistons, connecting rods, bearings, crank, cam, heads, etc material is best?? I'm assuming lighter yet stronger may be good for increase hp and tq. I don't wanna stroke it. Keeping in mind that I live in wonderful California so it must pass smog still. I may add the LS6 intake manifold with provision. Thanks for the response.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

Need to figure out a budget and what direction you wanna go with it.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

and why dont you want to stroke it?
Old 03-28-2010, 02:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1_bad_TA
Need to figure out a budget and what direction you wanna go with it.
No budget really, just not over price. I guess I need to see a list of parts and the price it comes out to. And no specific direction. Just want increase hp and tq. The last owner use to drag it. He beat on the car so hard that he broke 3 teeth on the ring gear. And the motor has a loud ticking sound. So I just wanna rebuild it better than when it came from the manufacture. I don't take it to the track, but I want it to run if I want it to.

Originally Posted by kmracer
and why dont you want to stroke it?
I've heard that stroking it give smog issues and sucks up gas. I don't want any smog hassles and I wanna keep the mpg where is for my weekend cruising.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

how much power do you want? what modifications are done to it right now?
Old 03-28-2010, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kmracer
how much power do you want? what modifications are done to it right now?
At least 400 or whatever I can get out of an LS1 where I can legaly pass emission. Nothing has been done to the internals. Just a lid, bored TB, exhaust. Just bolt-ons pretty much.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:40 PM
Staging Lane

Factory internals will easily handle 400 hp. With the exception of probably the valvetrain for a cam upgrade. When you get up to the 500hp range is when you want to start thinking about stouter internals. Unless you want to be setup for future modifications, personally(I have a small budget) I wouldn't worry about having top of the line internals.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:11 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

I'd stick with stock internals if I were you. The pistons are designed to minimize emissions, and still can handle a good amount of power. New bearings, new rings, and good machine work would be all you'd need.

Instead of internals, upgrade some of the shortcomings of a '98 model year LS1. I'd suggest ARP rod bolts, LS6 or better oil pump, and an LS6 PCV system. I think the older LS1's used a graphite head gasket, get the GM MLS gaskets instead.

Personally, I think the best way to make great power, maintain good driveability, and still pass emissions would be nitrous.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

i agree with kent. you CAN do a mild set of heads/cam, but you cant even take advantage of them seeing as you need to run stock manifolds & cats. 2500 bucks for what? 30 whp? seems pointless.

Quick Reply: So no engine swap. Just gonna rebuild my LS1. Which internal parts??