Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking into a future 5.3L build..

Old 03-28-2010, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking into a future 5.3L build..

Hello everyone, im sorry if this is in the wrong section, i tried my best to put it in the right spot
I need some help planning a future project...

I was planning on swapping an LSx into a 2nd gen camaro before i found a good deal on my current car (1970 Duster w/ a 408ci) but that things just too much for a daily driver, mostly because of its gas mileage, id say im getting 8city/15hwy now...

So, my next project is going to be some 2dr 4 seater chevy and put a 5.3L in it with a t56 6spd. The whole goal of this project is to make a good daily driver with some good power. I would like to see about 15-17mpg city and about 25mpg hwy if this is possible with what im thinking...

5.3L short block
heads/cam/intake
twin turbo on lowish boost

Now that you've got an idea of what im thinking of doing here come the questions..
Do you think its possible to achieve the mileage if i keep my foot out of it?
Can i put aftermarket LS1/LS6 heads on it? (im aware of the smaller bore in the 5.3, but will any gen III head work)
Would i need to do anything to the lower end to make 'fair' and reliable power?
Thanks for reading and hopefully giving me some advise, i appreciate it!
Old 03-28-2010, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by all-AM-muscle
The whole goal of this project is to make a good daily driver with some good power. I would like to see about 15-17mpg city and about 25mpg hwy if this is possible with what im thinking...
Get a stock LS1 and drop it in any thing you want you'll achieve your gas mileage with fairly good performance.

good luck
Old 03-29-2010, 08:35 AM
Staging Lane

After H/C/I, if you looking for a daily driver with "good power" I don't think turbos would be necessary. Unless your goal is to build a turbo engine, the 5.3 is a very reliable engine and with a proper size cam you would probably be around your mpg target.
And btw LS1/6 heads will bolt right up.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:01 PM
Teching In

If youre thinking about a twin turbo set up, switching the heads will be idea for compression. 5.3s are a much much cheaper version of the ls1. I bought mine with relatively low mileage for $270 after tax. Its the poor mans ls1 lol
Old 03-29-2010, 11:12 PM
Staging Lane

the 5.3 will run good with the turbos. If you want mph then keep it out of boost.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slow00gt
the 5.3 will run good with the turbos. If you want mph then keep it out of boost.
Originally Posted by Triaxle
After H/C/I, if you looking for a daily driver with "good power" I don't think turbos would be necessary. Unless your goal is to build a turbo engine, the 5.3 is a very reliable engine and with a proper size cam you would probably be around your mpg target.
And btw LS1/6 heads will bolt right up.
Agree^^^^^. Easy to do add turbo on 5.3L make +450hp. I do have (3) 5.3L motor/trans. on sale..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: looking into a future 5.3L build..