Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question on octane

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 03:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question on octane

I am very interested in a car that has a big block chevy .60 over with 12:5:1 compression. The owner is running 110 octane . I never had a chance to ask him ,but does that mean he is mixing his fuel ?
Old 03-29-2010, 03:55 AM
...with cheese.

They sell 110. Were you under the impression that they didnt?
Old 03-29-2010, 04:51 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also keep in mind that is probably NOT unleaded fuel. Most likely about 7-9$ a gallon.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:38 AM
TECH Regular

yea most likely your gonna have to buy race gas for it all the time...i could be wrong....anyways if your really interested in the motor either run the race gas or you can always just put in new pistons or change the heads and run pump gas
Old 03-29-2010, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last season when I was buying 110 for the racecar it was $9 a gallon.

Depending on the CC size of the heads that are on it, just changing those may not bring it down enough to run on pump gas. Also, a lot of pistons that have a dome like that to get the compression up that high only work with certain shapes of combustion chambers.

To lower the compression properly, your looking at pulling the motor apart and changing pistons.

$45-50 for 5 gallonds of gas gets expensive quick.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

What do you plan to do with it? I use to daily drive my 1976 TA with a 455 I built for it. Compression ratio was 12.5:1 and I would lower the timing allot, run super unleaded, add a little extras valve lash (solid roller) to make the cam act smaller, and I had to remind myself not to go wide open throttle while detuned and on pump fuel. Heck I realy just eased it around town. You can run it on pump fuel if you never hammer into it and de tune it. But those were the days my race car was my only car. I would suggest if you want a good daily drive not to runthat much compression. If you are planing to put this in your race car, go for it and run racing fuel.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

get the car and sell the engine
Old 03-29-2010, 11:51 AM
11 Second Club

Wouldnt 100 octane do the trick for a 12.5:1 CR?? ...or is that only for LSx blocks??
Old 03-29-2010, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

LSx's run lower timing and that helps reduce detonation. Also the aluminum heads help too. It realy depends on several other factors too. Lower engine coolant temp helps. Lower oil temps help cool the piston helps, more valve overlap tends to help by bleeding off some of the dynamic compresion at lower rpm, as well as the scavengine effects help to cool the cylinder which helps control detonation too. Not to mention the LSx's have knock sensors, even though that does not insure no damage from knock, it does lower the chances. Lower intake air temps help, the right spark plugs will help too.

I personaly would rather run higher octane race fuel and a higher compression ratio with more timing to make the power. It all depends on what you are doing. My current build is a 10.25:1 408 with a PT-88 turbo, running 30+ degrees of timing off boost and 22 degrees of timing under boost. I am working my way up to the 36 degree range under full boost. I might not make it that far but I will see. I run VP-113 or VP16 while doing this with lots of methanol injection. Ofcourse, I would never do this on super unleaded. Nor will I have it tuned that radical while running it on the street.

10-15 years ago we would run out to the local air field and buy all the Avgas we wanted for like 2 bucks a gallon when race fuel was like 4 bucks (I got my liscense when gas was less then 1 buck a gallon! Older then the hils huh!!!LOL). It is 100 octane leaded. We would run it on the street in our old school engines. But new laws and what not pretty much stopped that around our parts.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Heck I can remember sitting in the long lines with my parents during the fuel crisis back when Carter was the president! WOW!
Old 03-29-2010, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Texas_WS6
What do you plan to do with it? I use to daily drive my 1976 TA with a 455 I built for it. Compression ratio was 12.5:1 and I would lower the timing allot, run super unleaded, add a little extras valve lash (solid roller) to make the cam act smaller, and I had to remind myself not to go wide open throttle while detuned and on pump fuel. Heck I realy just eased it around town. You can run it on pump fuel if you never hammer into it and de tune it. But those were the days my race car was my only car. I would suggest if you want a good daily drive not to runthat much compression. If you are planing to put this in your race car, go for it and run racing fuel.
That will do nothing but kill the rings/bearings in time.

Fix it the right way if you wanna drive it on the street.

Aluminum heads will generally allow you to run almost a full point in compression more on pump gas than a cast iron head. Im not sure how much more an aluminum block helps as well.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did not advise to do this, and sorry but never hurt a damn thing in that build. Took it apart only to make it better. Drove it all the time, and made several 8 hour trips to Dallas in it, tuned it up and went to the drags like that, then de-tuned it and drove it back. Dead heat of West Texas Summers too.

Keep in mind the OP is talking about a Big Block Chevy, not an LS with EFI, I was speeking of my Pontiac 455 in particular.

I love it when people like to jump in and try to make others look like an idiot.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:35 PM
Teching In

Wouldn't increasing the lash make the cam seem smaller and therefore lower the overlap, and increase the cranking compresion of the cam? Maybe I misread or maybe I don't understand. I would think, the bigger the cam, the less likely to detonate. Just asking.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:38 PM
Teching In

What about E85?
Old 03-29-2010, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

For the OP - not sure what part of the country you are in, but a couple of fuel system upgrades and a new carb could have you running that engine safely on E85. You could run it on the street at part throttle as posted above. As long as the throttle stays closed a fair bit, you should be ok (think restrictor plate motors).

If you don't have that kind of restraint, or if you live somewhere that E85 isn't readily available, you might see what you can find out about the engine before you get a hold of it. Large chamber heads and pop-up pistons have been fairly common in BBC engines, and that setup doesn't leave you an easy downgrade. That type of combustion chamber is also pretty sensative to detonation - lots of places flame front to reach.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FoFittyFoSS
What about E85?

I shouldn't have typed so much
Old 03-29-2010, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This may be a dumb question but... Could you run meth on a N/A engine? With the crap 91 octane (highest at our pumps) and a 50/50 mix of meth I'm at 108 octane.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wouldn't increasing the lash make the cam seem smaller and therefore lower the overlap, and increase the cranking compresion of the cam? Maybe I misread or maybe I don't understand. I would think, the bigger the cam, the less likely to detonate. Just asking.
Yes you are correct, we would do that for other reasons. Not talking much lash change.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

What about E85?
Might be good enough to get him by on the street, it really depends on the build of the engine and some other things. Not enough info about the engine to make a good recomendation on fuel.