Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plug not screwing in! Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spark plug not screwing in! Need help!

So today, in the interest of saving some money, I changed the spark plugs. When I was taking them off I think I may have stripped/crossthreaded two holes. They were hard as hell to unscrew so I think that may have done it. I don't think the last owner used anti-sieze on the threads.
Is it possible to fix it on the car? I've read about helicoil and thread chasers, but I don't know about it working with the heads on the car. I'm literally in tears right now, my brother needs the car monday to go to work. Any ideas would be nice. How much am I looking at if the head has to be taken off? It is the driver's side rear two. One goes in at a slight angle, the other screws and just spins. They were enough to let me park the car. They are 853 heads which are ported and polished by Cartek as I was told by the previous owner.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Launching!

helicoil is the best option if its spining inside the hole. Just be careful the next time you take them out, the helicoils like to stay on the sparkplug.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:19 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Try one of these things first. They can be picked up at most local parts stores..

Sounds to me like you didn't have the correct angles when threading the plugs back in. It's always best to thread them in by hand, nice and slow. If you feel any "catching" after the first couple of turns, it's crossed and you need to back out.

If the threads caught, and you forced them more than 2-3 turns then you might need to helicoil. If not, that plug chaser tool is pretty handy. I've fixed tons of other peoples' F'ups with that tool when they try to do their own plugs. Good luck.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Justus67
helicoil is the best option if its spining inside the hole. Just be careful the next time you take them out, the helicoils like to stay on the sparkplug.
Will a shop be able to do this with the head on the car? And does anyone know a shop that would. I screwed up taking them out, don't want to screw up doing the helicoil.

Originally Posted by Damian
Try one of these things first. They can be picked up at most local parts stores..

Sounds to me like you didn't have the correct angles when threading the plugs back in. It's always best to thread them in by hand, nice and slow. If you feel any "catching" after the first couple of turns, it's crossed and you need to back out.

If the threads caught, and you forced them more than 2-3 turns then you might need to helicoil. If not, that plug chaser tool is pretty handy. I've fixed tons of other peoples' F'ups with that tool when they try to do their own plugs. Good luck.
I think it's when I took them out. I had to use a lot of force cause they were stuck the hell on there. One threads in at an angle from what I can tell, the other threads and spins freely.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:35 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it's when I took them out. I had to use a lot of force cause they were stuck the hell on there. One threads in at an angle from what I can tell, the other threads and spins freely.
It's not likely they stripped when you were removing them, unless they were stripped upon the last previous install. It's also common that they're tight when coming out, especially if the plugs have been in there a long time or there wasn't any anti-seize used.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

It's probably a combination of both, long time and no anti-seize. Man I wish you lived closer.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:59 AM
Teching In

I had the exact same problem. After much searching I realized it would be hard to tap from the outside in, it would not go in straight and any shavings would go into cylinder. I decided to buy a back tap instead. The price of the tool is kind of high, $70+ but worked like a charm for me. You insert the tool into the spark plug hole then expand it. The tool uses the straight non damaged threads to tap from the inside out. Just toss some grease on the tool to catch any shavings.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:06 AM
Launching!

All the spark plugs are angled, the driverside towards the front and the passengerside the the back. Are you trying to put them in straight?? (perpindicular?)
Old 04-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by suppasix
I had the exact same problem. After much searching I realized it would be hard to tap from the outside in, it would not go in straight and any shavings would go into cylinder. I decided to buy a back tap instead. The price of the tool is kind of high, $70+ but worked like a charm for me. You insert the tool into the spark plug hole then expand it. The tool uses the straight non damaged threads to tap from the inside out. Just toss some grease on the tool to catch any shavings.
Do you think a shop would be able to do that?

Originally Posted by Justus67
All the spark plugs are angled, the driverside towards the front and the passengerside the the back. Are you trying to put them in straight?? (perpindicular?)
Nope not straight, I know they're angled. The one that is at a bad angle is less angled than the rest, more perpendicular. I tried the correct angle, but it just follows the bad.

Quick Reply: Spark plug not screwing in! Need help!