Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solid roller 347ci LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 02:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solid roller 347ci LS1?

I did a search but it didn't turn up to much. Anyone running or know anyone who is running a solid roller stock cube LS1 347ci? I have been kicking this idea around with other ideas and was wondering if anyone on this site ever did or heard of anyone running a forged bottom end solid roller 347ci LS1 motor? I have trick flow 215cnc heads with the fast 90mm intake and NW TB. I wonder how much power I could get out of and how reliable a solid roller LS1 would be? Please any input is welcome. Thanks
Old 04-06-2010, 08:26 PM
10 Second Club

Come on guys 43 veiws and no body knows anything about a solid roller LS1?
Old 04-06-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

How many RPMs are you planning on revving your LS1 to.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I plan on doing a solid roller setup with a stock bottom end. The valvetrain is what costs a good bit of money. A good set of shaft rockers is gonna cost a good bit, i plan on going with the morel lifters. Still undecided about the rockers, thought about T&D, Jesel, and even Yella Terra's not sure yet. The heads i plan on going with are the performance induction 215's. I dont' plan on revving it any higher than 7200 or even 7000 cause i know it will go to peices. I still got several months before i start buying the engine parts cause i just bought a rear for the car.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:32 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Futral Motorsports. That would be where I would start asking the questions. I know that Alan has experience with the solid roller LS1's.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:38 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nmass399
I plan on doing a solid roller setup with a stock bottom end. The valvetrain is what costs a good bit of money. A good set of shaft rockers is gonna cost a good bit, i plan on going with the morel lifters. Still undecided about the rockers, thought about T&D, Jesel, and even Yella Terra's not sure yet. The heads i plan on going with are the performance induction 215's. I dont' plan on revving it any higher than 7200 or even 7000 cause i know it will go to peices. I still got several months before i start buying the engine parts cause i just bought a rear for the car.
Good call on the lifters. I wouldn't do the T&D's. They are very pushrod side heavy and have caused problems with high rpm float. The YT are good for up to around .740 lift I believe? If you want to go past that, Jesel is the only way to go. The PI 215's are good. You could also look at Pro-Filer LS heads, they have positive airflow all the way up to .900 lift and are reasonably priced. If you can do titanium valves, do it. You could sell your FAST and go with a single plane if you want to really spin the engine. I mean, why not, you'll already have the valvetrain for it.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:38 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Futral Motorsports. That would be where I would start asking the questions. I know that Alan has experience with the solid roller LS1's.
Allan built the motor that's in the car now but he seems to be very hard to get in touch with. I've called his shop plenty of time within the last several months and never recieved a call back yet! I did read the post he put up about the solid roller he built that put down 520rwhp and 427trq.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:51 AM
10 Second Club

I already have all of this. I have the harland sharp adjustable shaft mount rocker arms in my trick flow 215cnc heads. I will of course replace the valve springs, put in larger, lighter intake valves. I will need to buy the solid roller lifters and probably some new push rods. The question about how high I was planning on spinning the motor is as high as I can and still stay reliable and streetable. These are some of the questions I was hoping on getting answered here. How high can I spin it and still be safe enough to drive the car 500 miles if I feel like it. (I really don't drive the car to often seeing how I only put 10,000 miles on the car in 3 years). If I can spin it up to say 8,000 or so with a 25x/25x- 65x/65x cam @110-112LSA and the 90mm fast intake and tb I have now, could I make enough power to run my 3500lb camaro through the traps somewhere in the low 10's with a good 130+ mph? I was thinking of a few different options to get to my magic #. Another one was to just build a 402ci or just procharge this one. I would like to stay with the my LS1 block with a decent forged rotating assembly. Again any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-07-2010, 04:55 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black
Good call on the lifters. I wouldn't do the T&D's. They are very pushrod side heavy and have caused problems with high rpm float. The YT are good for up to around .740 lift I believe? If you want to go past that, Jesel is the only way to go. The PI 215's are good. You could also look at Pro-Filer LS heads, they have positive airflow all the way up to .900 lift and are reasonably priced. If you can do titanium valves, do it. You could sell your FAST and go with a single plane if you want to really spin the engine. I mean, why not, you'll already have the valvetrain for it.
That is an option I was I am leaning towards. Selling the fast intake I have a ported victor jr with an elbow put on.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:15 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by odarabla
Allan built the motor that's in the car now but he seems to be very hard to get in touch with. I've called his shop plenty of time within the last several months and never recieved a call back yet! I did read the post he put up about the solid roller he built that put down 520rwhp and 427trq.
Yeah that car is a beast. I can't remember the name of the cam in there, but I call it the "******** remover".
Old 04-07-2010, 06:39 AM
10 Second Club

Yeah that car is a beast. I can't remember the name of the cam in there, but I call it the "******** remover".
LOL that's funny ****!!
Old 04-07-2010, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

The rockers have to be adjusted for lash alot, spinning the engine to 8000 rpm's would not be a good idea for the street and be reliable because things can easily go wrong at that high rpm even with aftermarket valvetrain. Also remember the stock liners can become out of round in the ls1 block.

I dont see the fast intake supporting really high rpm's, now a victor jr. ported would be great for a setup like this. I personally plan on getting the Fast 102mm ported for my setup cause it seems to have bigger runners than the 90mm and the 92mm and looks like it will work great for the rpm's i plan on spinning it. Also it will help with low rpm torque for cruising.

I have to worry about ptv clearance with mine so thats why i am getting the 11 degree heads to help some. I am 99% sure i will still have to flycut the pistons. I plan on using a cam in the high 240's to very low 250's. I am gonna see if Patrick G will spec me out a cam and give me some advice.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's a hard thing to get is 130+ in the quarter with this setup, that's also my goal but i don't see it happening honestly unless you really are spinning it over 7000 rpm's. 10's should be obtainable as long as the 60 ft's are there and i would say some 120+ mph passes. Some 1.4's to 1.5 60 ft's.

Hope this help's some.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:56 PM
11 Second Club

The rockers have to be adjusted for lash alot,
You either have your valvetrain setup wrong or are running shitty rockers.
I haven't adjusted mine in 2 years. Checked them but not adjusted them.

Allan Futral is the man when it comes to solid rollers for LS1s. Won't find anyone else who has done more.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:14 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've done tons of solid rollers from 7000 rpm to 10,000 rpm both at the school and at our shop. You just need the right stuff and they are not that big of a problem but you need the right lobes that wont screw up with what you have. It's a system like all else and you can't just "use what you have" always and get good results. Most street rollers can turn 7500-8000 easily with the right parts.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KCFormula
You either have your valvetrain setup wrong or are running shitty rockers.
I haven't adjusted mine in 2 years. Checked them but not adjusted them.

Allan Futral is the man when it comes to solid rollers for LS1s. Won't find anyone else who has done more.
I have never ran one so i dont know, only from what i have seen, i would assume a cheaper rocker arm setup would mean they have to be adjusted more often but i dont know.

What kind of rockers would you recommend running other than jesel and T&D and less cost than those two
Old 04-08-2010, 02:51 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

What kind of rockers would you recommend running other than jesel and T&D and less cost than those two
Erik? What do you build your setups with?
Old 04-08-2010, 11:43 AM
FormerVendor

Arrow

Erik? What do you build your setups with?
As always it depends but the street roller can have less rocker. I do like the Jesels and the Old T and Ds but we have used many different rockers. I am trying to figure that out as well as far as less expensive rockers.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

For the Ls3 style valvetrain i have to use for these heads i was looking at the Mast Motorsports 1.7 adjustable rockers. I was also looking at the Yella terra's 1.7 adjustable. I could only find the Yella terra ls3 adjustable's on a few site's and not even on there company site so i am not sure if these are out yet.

I am thinking the Mast 1.7's would be fine because i think they were made to go with these heads. I know they are made for the ls3 port heads on their site. I am not sure of what i need because of these heads using the ls3 style valvetrain with a cathedral port. It says any ls3 style will work but you know how that goes.

It would be good to know if someone has used those Harland Sharps at those rpm levels and spring pressures to know how good they hold up.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:02 PM
FormerVendor

I think the MASTs would work from what they look like they seem nice.

Quick Reply: Solid roller 347ci LS1?