Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A couple of exhaust questions

Old 04-11-2010, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default A couple of exhaust questions

I'm putting a full exhaust on my otherwise stock 2k T/A - Hooker 1 3/4" LT's and 3" true duals.

1) Which, if any muffler, has the least raspy sound? Obviously, I don't wanna break the bank, so I'm not even looking at XR-1's or anything like that, and I know about LS1sounds.com and youtube. I just don't think that my computer speakers and the video camera are a good enough substitute for hearing it in person.

2) Should I go easy on my car before it gets tuned? It's my DD and it will probably be about two weeks before I get it tuned. Will I be in any danger there?

3) With this set-up do you think I will be making enough power to start putting my clutch in any kind of danger? I know it's all about how you treat it but I'm sure the added power doesn't help things.

Sorry guys, I know these are some serious newbie questions, but I've only had my car for five months so go easy on me.

Thanks everyone!
Old 04-11-2010, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey man.

Don't be suprised if your thread doesn't get moved to Gen III External Section. Exhaust is considered a Bolt-on.

1) Sorry, I don't have any experience with TDs, so I won't be any help with selecting a bullet style muffler.

2) Its not really necessary to get a tune after upgrading only your exhaust. You may get an SES light after your install, but that will most likely be related to the rear O2 Sensors and won't affect performance.

Over the course of last year I added LTs/Catted Y, an LS6 Intake and few other supporting mods to my 99 Formula. I lived with the SES light for a year until just yesterday when I installed my PCM with its Mail-Order-Tune from TunedByFrost.com.

I see you have a 2000 T/A, so you still have the LS1 Intake. You may want to wait to get your tune, if you're planning to upgrade your intake in the near future. That way you won't need a re-tune after your next upgrade.

3) I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe 98-00 F-body's clutches were rated for like 300 hp/tq and the 01-02 are at 350 hp/tq. Take from that what you will, but, as you stated, how long your clutch will last really depends on your driving style. You can baby it and make it last forever or beat the **** out of it and need a new one tomorrow. I, for one, am trying to end up somewhere in between.

Good luck with your upcoming install.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im running 3" true duals with dynomax bullets no rasp what so ever. Deep rumble at idle, not to loud. And it screams at WOT!
Old 04-11-2010, 11:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, also no catalytic converters!

Search this Thread