Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which cam matches up with stock heads best?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Which cam matches up with stock heads best?

m6 car 806 heads with stock 3:42 gear.....what do you guys think?
Old 04-12-2010, 11:06 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think those heads are good for making a really nice doorstop. Look for a used set of LS6 heads for a fairly good price in the classifieds section. I would match the stock cam with those heads for a stock power gain. lol.

You really can't ask this question and then tell us you have a stock car + "Spec 2+, SLP lid, LS6 int, ported TB, March UD pulley". Do you race the car? Does it ever see the track? Does it sometimes see the track? Will it see the track 1 time just for giggles? Is it a DD?

Obviously you are wanting to buy the 243 heads because that is what you have in your sig. It wouldnt matter what shape the heads were in, because most people and shops first opinion is going to be replace the springs and have the heads cleanup milled at the minimum.This would make your question obsolete. No one is going to waste their time speccing a cam out for heads that you definitely do not plan on keeping. If anything I would ask the question with the LS6 heads in the title.

If you want I will change it for you.

But, to answer your question. Any cam you put in there over a stock cam is going to give you a handful of power...even with stock heads. It just wont be ideal by any means. Especially with that 806 casting.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
I think those heads are good for making a really nice doorstop. Look for a used set of LS6 heads for a fairly good price in the classifieds section. I would match the stock cam with those heads for a stock power gain. lol.

You really can't ask this question and then tell us you have a stock car + "Spec 2+, SLP lid, LS6 int, ported TB, March UD pulley". Do you race the car? Does it ever see the track? Does it sometimes see the track? Will it see the track 1 time just for giggles? Is it a DD?

Obviously you are wanting to buy the 243 heads because that is what you have in your sig. It wouldnt matter what shape the heads were in, because most people and shops first opinion is going to be replace the springs and have the heads cleanup milled at the minimum.This would make your question obsolete. No one is going to waste their time speccing a cam out for heads that you definitely do not plan on keeping. If anything I would ask the question with the LS6 heads in the title.

But, to answer your question. Any cam you put in there over a stock cam is going to give you a handful of power...even with stock heads. It just wont be ideal by any means. Especially with that 806 casting.
lol.... be nice.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:13 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Also, you are probably aware that those 806 heads are perimeter bolt style and not center bolt like all the years following. You have to get the newer coil brackets at that point.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:14 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by 00MaroonZ28
lol.... be nice.
I am.

I am not gonna jerk him around and just tell him to get an MS3 and that the car will be a *****-out monster. People need to know what they are getting into. He didn't ask the question because he already knew. Ya know.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

umm...thanks.......i guess???......i never said the car is stock....i typed "stock 3:42 gear"...obviously the m-6 is stock but i'd be a complete dumbass to say the car is stock when it has ud pulley, headers, upgraded intake, tune....i'd love to find a good deal on used ls6 heads, but "STOCK" 806's are all i have to work with now...i read something about flow rates and was wondering if there was a cam out there that works best with 806 flow rates....i know i have alot to learn about engines, and that's why i ask questions, even dumb ones....maybe someone else could chime in and be a little less of a dick
Old 04-13-2010, 12:44 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Hey, I was being nice compared to some of the people that will just lay into you without explanation. good luck.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

it's cool....
Old 04-13-2010, 01:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jc98ss
...maybe someone else could chime in and be a little less of a dick
Wow. I actually thought his response was very helpful. Seriously though, when you respond with hostility it makes other members less apt to help.

Also, and don't take this the wrong way, as I love searching for older threads (just because they're older, doesn't mean they aren't relevant), there are lots of threads in the archives about good cams for stock heads (whether they're 853s, 241s, 243s, etc).

Search is your friend here.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yea, i shouldn't have typed that last line.....i'm fairly new to all of this, maybe i took it the wrong way.....my bad....i don't mean any disrespect to anyone, just want to learn
Old 04-13-2010, 02:29 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Hey, you didn't hurt my feelings. It's hard to pass emotion through text. I am sorry if it came out wrong.

I should probably also clairfy when I said stock I meant internal engine wise.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was nothing wrong with Orangeapeels response.. I almost want to keep that and quote it for future reference. IMO that was some of the most helpful advice I have ever heard someone give (and well said) to a question such as this.

As for the cam selection.. We have NO idea what you want out of your setup. Track times/HP numbers/top end screamer (roll racing)/mean street car/budget for intake/heads/etc/DD/weekend warrior.. The list goes on. The more info you give us the closer your answer will be.
I would take some ride in some locals cars.. I can get you in contact with quite a few people with cam only fbodys..

Are you a member on tnfbody.com and tnrace.net? There are a TON of people in our area that wouldn't mind showing you what cam only fbodys with different cams are like. Some that has a lot of low end-mid range grunt will work best. Your intake/heads aren't good enough for the "donkey dick" cams. I would suggest something similar to 230/232 .600 112. That will allow you to make more than enough power down the road and be an all around great performing/sounding cam.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:54 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Well, lets hop back on the subject. On a serious note:

If I had it to do over again I would probably try out a reverse split cam over a traditional. IE: 236/228 for reverse | 230/232 for traditional

Thunder Racing seems to have the most shelf grinds typically aimed to the cam only crowd.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking

I'd have to say that the stock cam matches up best with the stock heads. Other cams will make more power but you'll be leaving hp on the table with stock heads.

Popcorn anyone?
Old 04-13-2010, 03:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well, lets hop back on the subject. On a serious note:

If I had it to do over again I would probably try out a reverse split cam over a traditional. IE: 236/228 for reverse | 230/232 for traditional

Thunder Racing seems to have the most shelf grinds typically aimed to the cam only crowd.
I have wanted to do a reverse split cam for a long time now.. I know they are pretty touchy on the mods you pic however, or from what I have seen. They aren't as forgiving as a traditional. I know the exhaust is one of the main areas.
Seen some pretty mean setups from them though!
Old 04-13-2010, 04:02 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by lemons12
I have wanted to do a reverse split cam for a long time now.. I know they are pretty touchy on the mods you pic however, or from what I have seen. They aren't as forgiving as a traditional. I know the exhaust is one of the main areas.
Seen some pretty mean setups from them though!
Knowing that I would stay N/A in the future I should have done it. Mark H, but you know him as PREDATOR-Z has a great thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...side-coin.html . But yes, I would much rather have my torque cranked up to where it would eat up a set of street tires like a dick sandwich at a gay parade.

Million Dollar Question:Why is it that everyone knows you drive torque and sell horsepower, but only like 4% of people out there go purely for TQ numbers?

I'm gonna have to do more research on reverse splits, but I think in a way for some applications they are better. Possibly more budget oriented as well.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Knowing that I would stay N/A in the future I should have done it. Mark H, but you know him as PREDATOR-Z has a great thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...side-coin.html . But yes, I would much rather have my torque cranked up to where it would eat up a set of street tires like a dick sandwich at a gay parade.

Million Dollar Question:Why is it that everyone knows you drive torque and sell horsepower, but only like 4% of people out there go purely for TQ numbers?

I'm gonna have to do more research on reverse splits, but I think in a way for some applications they are better. Possibly more budget oriented as well.
I have read a TON of that thread. I try to keep up with as much as I can but some of it is a bit over my head.
Dick sandwich... Gay parade....

I never really thought of that, is a good question honestly. I hear people use the phrase all the time. TQ wins races/HP sells cars.

I think they are forgiving on the intake side. Heads/intake/tb/etc.. But you need a very free flowing exhaust. From what I have gathered it is more budget friendly, as long as you pay attention to the small details.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:33 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Exactly. And what is the first mod people do to anything with a V8?

Exhaust baby...

Bob - "Hey Adam, what kind of car did you get?"
Adam - "Its a 87 camaro with a corvette motor man!"
Bob - "Oh, so its got a chevy 350?"
Adam - "No, its got a vette engine."
Bob - "Oh, okay."
Bob - "So you got any performance stuff on it?"
Adam - "500 horsepower from a 3" flowmaster exhaust and a 40 series flowmaster muffler."
Bob - "Cool."

Point: Everyone does exhaust unless they are scared of being caught by the emissions police.

That thread that Mark started...Holy Crap! If anyone wants to learn anything about cams, every single person that knows anything about cams on this forum has posted in that thread. Notice also, they all have nothing but good stuff to say about it. Slowhawk, Jon@TSP, Predator-Z, PatG...They are all in there, and thats just the first page.

Cam only car? SHIIIIIIITTTTTTT.....I wouldn't suggest anything but a reverse now.

Absolutely retarded how you can pick up EZMODE power by slapping a reverse cam and spring/pushrods in and bam! Even run your old crap intake and still make power!
Old 04-13-2010, 05:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Exactly. And what is the first mod people do to anything with a V8?

Exhaust baby...

Bob - "Hey Adam, what kind of car did you get?"
Adam - "Its a 87 camaro with a corvette motor man!"
Bob - "Oh, so its got a chevy 350?"
Adam - "No, its got a vette engine."
Bob - "Oh, okay."
Bob - "So you got any performance stuff on it?"
Adam - "500 horsepower from a 3" flowmaster exhaust and a 40 series flowmaster muffler."
Bob - "Cool."

Point: Everyone does exhaust unless they are scared of being caught by the emissions police.

That thread that Mark started...Holy Crap! If anyone wants to learn anything about cams, every single person that knows anything about cams on this forum has posted in that thread. Notice also, they all have nothing but good stuff to say about it. Slowhawk, Jon@TSP, Predator-Z, PatG...They are all in there, and thats just the first page.

Cam only car? SHIIIIIIITTTTTTT.....I wouldn't suggest anything but a reverse now.

Absolutely retarded how you can pick up EZMODE power by slapping a reverse cam and spring/pushrods in and bam! Even run your old crap intake and still make power!

I enjoyed the skit! And it is the truth!

That is the main thing that amazes me about the reverse splits. They make INSANE HP/TQ numbers with crappy intake/tb/head setups. Numbers you rarely ever see on a traditional split.
I don't see so many that stand out once H/I get added but that may be because not too many people keep them/mod that much more after the cam.
Chrs1313 was running a reverse split for the longest time, any idea if he is still running it? He just added H/I and ran bottom 10s @ almost 130mph.. IIRC the DA was around 300+ as well. Granted he has paid attention to the smallest details in his setup, it goes to show what those cams are capable of.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Knowing that I would stay N/A in the future I should have done it. Mark H, but you know him as PREDATOR-Z has a great thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...side-coin.html.
Just read that entire 15 pg. thread at 5 in the morning. Too much good information to quit reading, even though I have class in 5 hours...