Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulleys not aligning on engine build!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulleys not aligning on engine build!!!

All right, so I'm in a bit of a bind here. I'm in the process of doing an LQ9 swap and I just got to the point where I started to put all of the accesories back on the engine. When I look at the alternator and water pump, I can tell that they are both clearly not aligned with the crank pulley but they are aligned with each other. There is not even half an inch of what they are off by - its a very small difference but enough to tell.

Also, this may have lead to the problem: I'm putting a bigger cam in so I removed the crank pulley and what-not and when I put it back on, I first used a block of wood and a mallet to knock the pulley back into place, then I put the old bolt on and cranked it until the pulley looked like it was against the seal. After that I took that bolt off and put a new one on like you're supposed to.

My questions are: What is causing these pulleys to be off? Did I mess something up with the crank pulley? OR is there something I'm missing here that is used on the LQ9 block to match the pulleys?

I'm using the accesories and brackets off my LS1 and the engine is on a stand, not in the car.

Oh, and I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I think it will get more attention from the more knowledgable guys/girls on here.

Anyone have any input?
Old 04-16-2010, 09:24 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are using the stock LQ9 balancer pulley you have to use truck accessories. Same with the car accessoreis. If you use the car balancer, you have to use car accessories. Make sure you have all the same stuff on the motor.

Jon
Old 04-16-2010, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jon pretty much said it, if you have your stock LS1 ballancer use it, plus if you used a double roller chain and had to space your cover out any you won't be able to go by the old "shiney spot" on the pulley.

Plus even if the front seal looks great pop it out and put a new front cover seal in... Trust me lol I used my old seal because it looked fine, then when I fired the car up it leaked so I had to pull the pulley and seal back out and replace it (about 2 ours of work in the car that I added to my job)
Old 04-16-2010, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That makes sense. I don't know why I didn't think of that before!

Thanks for the help guys!