Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 at the machine shop

Old 04-16-2010, 04:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 at the machine shop

I just got done delivering my engine to the machine shop. They will be replacing all the bearings, grinding the crankshaft, boring it .030 over, checking the values on the heads, mating the heads with the engine and flushing and cleaning all of it.

I would have it re-sleeved and stroke it but I just don't have the money for that right now.

I can't wait to get it back and put in the Camaro.

I have a couple of questions for everyone:

What kind of pistons should I get?
Should I keep the stock connecting rods?

And any other thoughts or comments greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance
Old 04-16-2010, 05:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you cant bore a LS1 .30 over

all you can do is simply hone the cylinders and then move up to a 3.905 piston I think it is.

if the machine shop told you they can make it .30 over they lied to you and you should find a different place to work on it.

P.S. if this shop does try boring it .30 over then consider your engine ruined.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I think someone is going to be disapointed. I would get my motor back before it gets ruined. Most of what I have read and been told, not one person has told me you can do more the hone the cylinder walls. Good luck.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

Max bore on an LS1 is .010 and most people do .005 to be safe and you must sleeve the engine.

Me you get your engine back and run fast and hard. If you do not sleeve your engine then you are only able to do some clean up honing and that's it. Please CALL that shop and tell them not to touch your engine they have no idea what they are doing. just my .02

Oh let me see you got a really good deal hu?
Old 04-16-2010, 07:35 PM
Launching!

you should be alright, if you haven't even ordered the pistons yet i doubt they've bored it already. but yes if they didn't KNOW you can't bore a ls1 .030 over i would be leary of letting them do the work.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

IDK??? The shop has been doing Chevy Performance race engines for over 20 years in the Richmond area. They have worked on every Chevy engine to date.

I called them and they said they are going to hone it out and re-cross pattern the cylinders. They haven't started working on it but when I first gave it to them, they said they will have to bore it to get rid rust on the walls. I told them to bore it as much as they can.

I guess I will have to wait and see what I get back.

They might even re-sleeve it, I am waiting for them to call me and tell me what the deal is.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go get your motor and take it to Virginia Speed. I hope you understand that re-sleeving a block is $1200+ all by itself not including the other machine work.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:46 PM
Teching In

Most shops I've dealt with want the pistons in hand before they do any honing to get the right clearances. I've never checked on the cost of re-sleeving a block, but I would think it would be cheaper to find another block then to have it sleeved .
Old 04-22-2010, 05:19 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by sbsrkh
Most shops I've dealt with want the pistons in hand before they do any honing to get the right clearances.
That's the right way to do it.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
That's the right way to do it.
yea, after its been bored. you dont need the pistons to bore it. if they dont know what they are doing, they will try n bore it .030 and get a rude awakening when they hit water about 1/4 inch down where the liner gets paper thin.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bww3588
yea, after its been bored. you dont need the pistons to bore it. if they dont know what they are doing, they will try n bore it .030 and get a rude awakening when they hit water about 1/4 inch down where the liner gets paper thin.

Amen ^^^

Like I always say advice is free and not taking advice gets expensive but I guess people like to find out for themselves.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

i thought you would hone a block to match a set of pistons... im sure not all pistons are exactly on spec. ( a few tenths difference) id imagine
Old 04-22-2010, 09:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1krr
i thought you would hone a block to match a set of pistons... im sure not all pistons are exactly on spec. ( a few tenths difference) id imagine
you do, but you dont hone .030 off a cylinder. you bore it usually .025, then hone to fit the last .005.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

and you also dont bore an ls1... stock bore is what 3.898 or somethin? and can only go to 3.905.. not alot to play with

Last edited by 1krr; 04-22-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ryneman
IDK??? The shop has been doing Chevy Performance race engines for over 20 years in the Richmond area. They have worked on every Chevy engine to date.

I called them and they said they are going to hone it out and re-cross pattern the cylinders. They haven't started working on it but when I first gave it to them, they said they will have to bore it to get rid rust on the walls. I told them to bore it as much as they can.

They might even re-sleeve it, I am waiting for them to call me and tell me what the deal is.
you dont sound to confident in that place if you guess you'll see what there gonna do....**** i would tell you im gonna bore the motor,if i ran a business and seen "sucker" writtin on your forehead....get your motor back bro...
Old 04-23-2010, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ryneman

Just because they do GM race engines it does not mean they are aware or are knowledgeable about LSx engines. There are people who work precisely and only on LSx engines because they are not like any other engine.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:23 AM
12 Second Club

also, just for refrence...the only thing an LS1 and a Gen I/II small block have in common is the crank pin diameter for the rods, and rod bearings. everything else is different. ive found when looking for advise or a machine shop is to walk in the door and ask them that question. "can you tell me what the LS1 and original small blocks have in common?"
Old 04-23-2010, 12:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bww3588
also, just for refrence...the only thing an LS1 and a Gen I/II small block have in common is the crank pin diameter for the rods, and rod bearings. everything else is different. ive found when looking for advise or a machine shop is to walk in the door and ask them that question. "can you tell me what the LS1 and original small blocks have in common?"
they also have the same bore spacing and lifters.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah you need to get your block back quick. can't bore unless your trying to go swimming
Old 04-23-2010, 09:06 AM
Staging Lane

First off, thank you everyone for your replies.

The machine shop called and I told them everything that you all have posted. They finished the heads (the matted them with the block and checked for cracks, also they are going to rebuild them), the checked the connecting rods and they are fine, also they are grinding the crankshaft and balancing it. He also said that they can not bore it .030, their LSX guy came back from vacation and he will need to purchase the pistons to match them up with the cylinders, also they will get my connecting rod bearings when they have finished the crankshaft.

(I asked the LSX guy "can you tell me what the LS1 and original small blocks have in common?" and he gave me the right answer. ) He laughed

He also said more then likely, it will be 3.905.

It seems like they know what they are doing. I guess the first guy I talked to didn't work on engines. lol

Thank you again for all the concerns and relies.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS1 at the machine shop