Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 best tips for 5.3 Heads? Where the Pros @?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 07:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 best tips for 5.3 Heads? Where the Pros @?

I am getting very close to getting everything 2gether for my head/cam/nitrous setup! I am getting excited but I want to take my time and make sure that I am getting things done right. I bought a new set of 5.3l heads and Patriot springs along with stock valves.

I will be using the LS6 intake......What are the 5 top areas of attention when taking them to the speed shop? I am going to ask for a simple port match to start with...but I know that velocity and flow direction is just as important. Should I have the bowls edge blended? Mill them and use a certain size gasket? What else? Details will help tremendously.

Keep in mind that I bought these for compression purposes and am only looking to find a few little tips that can make a diffrence. If I wanted to invest $1k or more in heads....I would have already spent the money. Thanks
Old 04-18-2010, 08:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

When you say you bought a set of new 5.3l heads, do you mean a set of new 5.3l heads that are in stock form?
Old 04-18-2010, 08:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Airflow means WAY more than compression. I hope they arent stock 5.3L heads unless they are the newer 243/799s. If not, sell them and get 243s/799s

Dont worry about a "port match".

Read my sig. Heads should be swapped once and get the absolute best you can afford/dream about. If you cant afford it now, wait and start saving.

Ive done it more than once. Get the best heads you can!!!!
Old 04-18-2010, 11:35 PM
12 Second Club

They are the newer 5.3's and they are un-used. I know the importance of quality heads....everyone building should know this before starting. This is my 4th LS1 now and I have had various results with expensive heads all the way to cnc'ed stockers. When doing somewhat of a budget build, spends 2k on heads defeats the purpose. I had planned on doing just a cam swap, along with the springs, pushrods, rodbolts, LS6 intake, ect.....but when a set of 5.3's can be had for $100 brand new and opened up and smoothed out a little for another $100 in machine work, why not swap them in place of the stockers?

The 5.3's are known for being a good "starting point" because of the amount of material that can removed. But when compared side by side with stock heads....20-25 hp is gained over stock. Not huge gains when compared to other heads but not bad for a $100 investment. They are already bought, they are better than stock, why not install them when the motors out?

All I am asking is what other things you might do or what adjustments would you make to them while they are being port matched. FYI...the reason I am doing this step is simply to remove the rough surface and open them up just a tad.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you mean you're going to open up the valve area in the 5.3 heads in order to fit the stock-size LS1 valves?
Old 04-19-2010, 11:21 AM
12 Second Club

No. I am not going to remove any material other than smoothing the lip on the bowls a little bit and match the intake runners to the LS6 intake.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:44 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

An important thing to remember is that the stock 5.3l Valves are smaller the the stock LS1 valves. So I would recommend looking into a set of larger valves for the heads. This will defiantely benefit you quite a bit with the aftermarket cam in there. We can do our stg 2.5 cnc port and valve job w/ 2.02" 1.57" valves for right at $1000 to a customers set of heads.