Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JPR cam tool sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 03:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry JPR cam tool sucks!

Sorry if this doesn't go here. I am thinking internal engine because you use it for the cam swap.

I purchased a JPR cam installation tools from TR a few months back and I’m having issues with them. The first time I used them they worked great. However the past four cars that I have gone to use them on the tool doesn’t work. After spinning the cam several times when going to insert the tools either they don’t go in at all, they go in very very hard, or when they do go in smooth the cam is stuck and will not come out until you remove the tools. I have tried everything to make these things work. After spending $85 on them I’m not real happy with the tools performance. All five LS1 engines were stock and we were going to put in a new cam. Just to get the cam installed we didn’t even use the tools because they didn’t work. It just seems like a waste of money for something that is advertised to work and it doesn't. Who do I contact? TR who sold me the tool or JPR who makes it? I have always helped my buddies out with their cam installs and got the tools just to be safe. It just pisses me off when they only worked 1 time. It's like going out and buying an $85 wrench thinking that you can use it again and again only to have it work 1 time. I’m just frustrated after spending the money that they only worked on 1 car.
Old 01-07-2004, 03:53 PM
jmX
TECH Junkie

Out of curiousity, was it an older car that it worked fine on and newer ones that were having issues? I've used it on *4* 99's and it worked great, but I tried it on an 02 and I had the exact same issues you are mentioning.

I'm thinking that it may need to be labelled for use in only certain years of cars.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why anyone would spend that amount of money on that tool is beyond me.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jmX
Out of curiousity, was it an older car that it worked fine on and newer ones that were having issues? I've used it on *4* 99's and it worked great, but I tried it on an 02 and I had the exact same issues you are mentioning.

I'm thinking that it may need to be labelled for use in only certain years of cars.
98 was the first car and the others have all been 00 or newer.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Why anyone would spend that amount of money on that tool is beyond me.
Because if by some stupid chance a lifter would drop the tools are cheaper than bolts, gaskets, and wasted time. But since the tools don't work it is a waste.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

The tool you have only works on 97-99 cars. The 00-03 lifter bodies are different so the tool doesn't work unless you modify it.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:08 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you post some pics of the tool. Not just the end of it....I've seen that in previous posts.

Thx.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99 TA
Because if by some stupid chance a lifter would drop the tools are cheaper than bolts, gaskets, and wasted time. But since the tools don't work it is a waste.
All you have to do is go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a 1/4 " diameter aluminum rod and bend it 90* at one end for handles and slide them in. Cost = $0.85
Old 01-07-2004, 04:48 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
All you have to do is go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a 1/4 " diameter aluminum rod and bend it 90* at one end for handles and slide them in. Cost = $0.85
mine was like 1.20 or something.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 TA
I have done 16 cam installs and never needed that tool. Needed a few pen magnets and clothes pins on a few cars. You can tell if any lifters will not stay up before you remove the cam.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

I read an older post about this and JPR said that their early design had these problems but you can send in your older rods and get them replaced for the newer ones that have had no problems. Contact JPR and see if that is in fact true.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:08 PM
jmX
TECH Junkie

I supposedly have the "newer" rods, and while it does go in, its a very tight fit and it doesn't hold the lifters up high enough to clear the cam all the time. It does however keep the lifters from totally falling.

Either way, the tools kick *** when they work, and they cause a lot of wasted time when they dont. Fortunately it seems all my cam swaps happen on 99's so I've been pretty lucky thus far
Old 01-07-2004, 06:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Hell, I just spin the cam, remove the cam, put in the new cam. If the lifters are staying up then you got plenty of time to change the cam. Just dont let it sit overnight. Anyway if the lifter does fall then you have a good excuse to get a new set of heads!

Quick Reply: JPR cam tool sucks!