Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

piston slap or lifter tick

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default piston slap or lifter tick

so does anybody know how to tell the difference between piston slap and lifter/pushrod tick? sometimes it will stick around and other times it will be fine. i was gonna make a video today but right as i pull into the garage it is completely gone! my brother says piston slap cause it happens every so often, i think it is sticky lifters. any body care to comment? it is present about 40% of the time i drive it and it has gotten a little louder lately since i have been racing it more.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Piston slap most of the time happens when the car is cold and occurs for about the first 10 mins or so. Until things start to expand and then goes away for the most part. Lifter would be there for most of the time and diminish some but still be there even after it has warmed up.
My .02
Old 04-25-2010, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea i was thinking more of like a sticking lifter or something...cause it is quite harsh sometimes and then miraculously goes away when it feels like it. usually after a short little beating.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe lifter tick usually becomes more pronounced (louder) with increasing rpm. Does this just happen on start up, idle, while driving, all of the above, etc?
Old 04-25-2010, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i am gonna feel retarded here. i go to the mall and i get a huge backfire and a ridiculous tick. get towed home and the tow truck driver tells me to check my spark plugs...little do you know i blew out number 3 spark plug on the passenger side. it was the cause of the tick and the blow out. i am so relieved i didn't blow a lifter. guess heads and cam excuse is gonna have to wait...lol

Quick Reply: piston slap or lifter tick