Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone have tsp tsunami cam?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 03:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone have tsp tsunami cam?

does any one run the tsp tsunami? im considering getting this cam with the 2.5 ls6 heads. and i was just curious about drivability and low end. i saw one dynograph and it looks like it has a broad torque curve but i would like to hear from some of you guys that run this cam, pros, cons etc..
Old 05-02-2010, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

ive seen this cam make big numbers! it will drive ok on the street with a good tune,, so if u wont it buy it!
Old 05-02-2010, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by johnster
ive seen this cam make big numbers! it will drive ok on the street with a good tune,, so if u wont it buy it!
a i know ive seen the dyno sheet lol. it looks like it makes pretty good torque around 3k rpm too.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You really need to bump your compression if you're going to run any cam that size. Try to get your DCR up to around 8.5, either through a thinner head gasket or milling the heads.

Doing these things will make the car MUCH more drivable down low, otherwise it will have that "dog-like" response in the lower rpms.

Flycutting, or running pistons with valve reliefs will be needed, but that's what it will take to optimize such a large cam on the street (or on the track for that matter).

Combo, combo, combo.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by squirts11
You really need to bump your compression if you're going to run any cam that size. Try to get your DCR up to around 8.5, either through a thinner head gasket or milling the heads.

Doing these things will make the car MUCH more drivable down low, otherwise it will have that "dog-like" response in the lower rpms.

Flycutting, or running pistons with valve reliefs will be needed, but that's what it will take to optimize such a large cam on the street (or on the track for that matter).

Combo, combo, combo.
that seems like alot to do. it would be nice to have better low end drivability. but i plan on using the car for track days and cruises mostly. but i will look into the fly cutting and what not
Old 05-02-2010, 04:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get a custom cam ,talk to Patrick-G.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 02sslayer
that seems like alot to do. it would be nice to have better low end drivability. but i plan on using the car for track days and cruises mostly. but i will look into the fly cutting and what not
Bumping compression, and thus DCR, isn't merely for low-end performance. It helps EVERYWHERE throughout the powerband, even up top. I just wanted to point out what's really needed to optimize such a large cam. These are things very few are willing to do, and thus why big cams often leave a bad taste in someone's mouth.

Last edited by squirts11; 05-02-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bumping compression, and thus DCR, isn't merely for low-end performance. It helps EVERYWHERE throughout the powerband, even up top. I just wanted to point out what is needed to optimize such a large cam. These are things very few are willing to do, and thus why big cams often leave a bad taste in someone's mouth.
well i thought the heads that came with the package allready took all that into account?
Old 05-02-2010, 06:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 02sslayer
well i thought the heads that came with the package allready took all that into account?
If TSP does anything to the heads, it'll be to sink the valves to allow for greater PTV clearance, but this won't improve the SCR/DCR, it'll just ensure that the cam will fit. Very little, if ANY, head milling will be possible with that size cam, and you most likely won't be able to run a smaller head gasket either. Running pistons with valve reliefs or flycutting are the only options to get ideal compression/DCR.

No other way around it, it's just the nature of the beast.

^^Seldom are such things done to ensure the COMBO is run optimally. When the COMBO isn't taken into consideration, it's easy to see why "my smaller cam beat my buddy's 'donkey dick' cam" is the norm around here...

It sucks, but I'm flycutting the stock pistons and milling my 243s to help compensate for the low DCR and bottom-end performance (or lack thereof) often associated with larger cams. You can have your cake and eat it too, but the process to do so isn't worth it to most people.

Last edited by squirts11; 05-02-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If TSP does anything to the heads, it'll be to sink the valves to allow for greater PTV clearance, but this won't improve the SCR/DCR, it'll just ensure that the cam will fit. Very little, if ANY, head milling will be possible with that size cam, and you most likely won't be able to run a smaller head gasket either. Running pistons with valve reliefs or flycutting are the only options to get ideal compression/DCR.

^^Seldom are such things done to ensure the COMBO is run optimally. When the COMBO isn't taken into consideration, it's easy to see why "my smaller cam beat my buddy's 'donkey dick' cam" is the norm around here...

It sucks, but I'm flycutting the stock pistons and milling my 243s to help compensate for the low DCR and bottom-end performance often associated with larger cams. You can have your cake and eat it too, but the process to do so isn't worth it to most people.
ok so what does SCR/DCR mean? and what does fly cutting the pistons involve? do i have to pull the motor out and then take the pistons out of the car to have them worked on? and what is involved to mill the heads?im kinda new at this so i have alot of questions.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

scr is your static compression ratio, its the amount of compression your car has with both valves closed, your dcr is your dynamic compression ratio, or your compression with the cam in and valves moving.

You can flycut your pistons in the car with the flycutting tool. Milling the heads is easy, take it to a machine shop and have them milled.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It sucks, but I'm flycutting the stock pistons and milling my 243s to help compensate for the low DCR and bottom-end performance often associated with larger cams. You can have your cake and eat it too, but the process to do so isn't worth it to most people.
ok i think i see what your saying. i have to mill the heads for the proper compression but milling them will cause PTV issues so i have to fly cut the pistons. is that right?
Old 05-02-2010, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

bingo!
Old 05-02-2010, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok well all this might scare some people away, but i know a guy and im pretty sure flycutting is right up his alley im gonna have to talk to him.

Quick Reply: anyone have tsp tsunami cam?