Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does this sound like?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 04:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What does this sound like?

Today as I was driving home, I noticed a tap tap tap noise that increased/decreased with RPMs. Luckily I wasnt far from home, so I got it home and parked it. Whenever I opened the hood, it sounded as if it was coming from the valvetrain on the drivers side. Its sort of a tap tap noise with a squeak every now and then that seems to be coming from the 3 or 5 cylinder. It is also definitely a metallic sound. Not a header leak. I pulled the drivers side valve cover and checked to make sure I hadnt busted a spring which I hadnt. I guess next step will be pull the rockers and check them. Im hoping that one of them has spit out a bearing and this will be an easy fix, otherwise its gonna be a long trailer ride home from college. Does anyone have any ideas as to what this may be? This is in reference to the car in my signature which now also has the stock heads decked .0020. Cam and PRC dual springs installed about 12000 miles ago and the heads installed about 1500 miles ago.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I somehow skipped over this thread earlier until you texted me haha.

I happen to have an extra rocker with me in my emergency stash if it turns out to be that

that's what it sounds like from the description, but when mine went there were chunks and needle bearings in the head...we'll take a look and see what we find
Old 05-03-2010, 02:17 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol, there are 2 threads with exactly the same title and problem it sounds like. What are the odds?
Old 05-09-2010, 11:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I pulled my valve cover and checked all the rockers and springs but nothing looked out of the ordinary except for some marking on the head that indicates something Has been beaten around inside the head. I checked the oil and there was an excessive amount of fine metal on the drain plug but no specks floating in the oil. Any ideas?