Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help diagnosing a small ticking noise... 3rd-2nd

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help diagnosing a small ticking noise... 3rd-2nd

Was out having some fun last night and I accidently went from 3rd-2nd I caught it right away and pushed the clutch in. the motor now makes a very quite ticking noise, and it seems to be coming from the passenger side. It ticks very lightly at idle, almost like an exhaust leak and follows the rpms as they go up and down. (gets slightly louder as it goes up) I was reading and from my understanding it could be a pushrod being slightly bent.... I have checked the oil and there seems to be no signs of any metal shavings. good oil pressure. does not sound like something from the block to me, sounds more like valvetrain noise. the motor is still very healthy (minus the noise) has no problems starting up and still runs just like before. drives fine and still smooth with NO misfire of any sort. me get some ideas please!

Lee

edit: bolt-on ls1 with 90k. stock cam/heads/valvetrain

edit edit: Ok, so 3 of the 16 pushrods were bent... the louder noise that was there before is now gone. but there is still a small noise. it sounds almost like a sewing machine/exhaust leak... and it wasnt there before. any input as to what this noise could be? i torqued all the rocker arms to 22ft/lbs according to the service manual. but this noise is bothering me! Help!!!

Last edited by bongva; 05-20-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:56 PM
Teching In

You bent a pushrod. I did the same thing at the track just missed a gear 2-3 and bent three of them. They bend pretty easy from my understanding. My car make the same noise just as you are describing.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Launching!

Yup i'd say you bent a pushrod too
Old 05-08-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by guns77
You bent a pushrod. I did the same thing at the track just missed a gear 2-3 and bent three of them. They bend pretty easy from my understanding. My car make the same noise just as you are describing.
I see ok, so should i just pull off the passenger side? or pull off both sides?
Old 05-08-2010, 01:10 PM
Launching!

You might as well get some hardened pushrods and just replace all of them.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Teching In

I see ok, so should i just pull off the passenger side? or pull off both sides?
Yeah pull both sides and replace them all with hardened pushrods . Texas speed is a great company to order from and will help you out. LS1howto if you need help taking everything apart, they have great info there at that site.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so when everything goes back in, do i have to do a vavle lash? im kinda confused on the going together part.... is there a write up for it?

2 out of 4 push rods were bent on the passenger side, driver side will be tomorrows project. just gonna throw in some oem's for now, need the car asap and a buddy of mine gave me some of his old ones. thanks smok'nz!
Old 05-20-2010, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, so 3 of the 16 pushrods were bent... the louder noise that was there before is now gone. but there is still a small noise. it sounds almost like a sewing machine/exhaust leak... and it wasnt there before. any input as to what this noise could be? i torqued all the rocker arms to 22ft/lbs according to the service manual. but this noise is bothering me! Help!!!
Old 05-20-2010, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it kinda varies with engine speed, but as it gets a little higher in the rpm, say 2000-2400rpm i cant hear it anymore, it stays the same noise level and doesnt get any louder as the rpms go up.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bump need help please
Old 05-22-2010, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Any change in your oil pressure levels from before the incident? Bad lifters can affect oil pressure.

There are other things, as you probably know, that can cause ticking noises on LS motors like an exhaust leak as you have already mentioned and a loud fuel injector.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

oil pressure is still normal, but the noise wasnt there before....
Old 05-26-2010, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

sewing machine sounding operation is normal, bending push rods are not. once they are bent it allows lifters to bounce off of cam and if left unchecked can result in lifter failure chances are you are fine, if it gets louder then be worried. valve float also happens during an over revv and can bend valves from piston collision which bends push rods. there is some power unlocked when hardened PR's are installed. be more carefull.do a compression check
Old 05-26-2010, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

You're absolutely sure it's not a header leak? There was a guy over on performancetrucks.net that had the same problem (3rd-2nd). He has an S10 with a t56. I'll try and find the thread and post it up tomorrow. He said the replaced the header gasket and it went away. Might be a start. Especially if you've had them on there for a while. Shouldn't hurt to replace them...

Oh and by the way. Your car ran really good that night you guys came down to The Fort. I think we are going to come up there in a couple of weeks. I am at least when I get my car together.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
sewing machine sounding operation is normal, bending push rods are not. once they are bent it allows lifters to bounce off of cam and if left unchecked can result in lifter failure chances are you are fine, if it gets louder then be worried. valve float also happens during an over revv and can bend valves from piston collision which bends push rods. there is some power unlocked when hardened PR's are installed. be more carefull.do a compression check
I have replaced the pushrods that were bent, and also did a compression check. all cylinders were fine and the motor is still very healthy. there was a loud ticking noise that was there right after i did the 3-2 shift. i got rid of the loud noise, but now this "sewing machine" noise showed up. car still runs great, and doesnt seem like its down on power at all.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Silvy6.0
You're absolutely sure it's not a header leak? There was a guy over on performancetrucks.net that had the same problem (3rd-2nd). He has an S10 with a t56. I'll try and find the thread and post it up tomorrow. He said the replaced the header gasket and it went away. Might be a start. Especially if you've had them on there for a while. Shouldn't hurt to replace them...

Oh and by the way. Your car ran really good that night you guys came down to The Fort. I think we are going to come up there in a couple of weeks. I am at least when I get my car together.
I kinda ruled out the header leak because it doesnt sound like one to me. i think mine is actually in the engine because its only coming from the driver side, and i can hear it underneath the car more than i can on top over the engine.

thanks again man! what were you in?