Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are the replacement rockers from GM any better ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 03:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Are the replacement rockers from GM any better ?

Found 30 needle bearings in the pan. If the replacement rockers from GM are less prone to throw the bearings, I'll just replace the bad ones with GM. If not I'll go aftermarket. Has anyone had a replacement GM rocker go bad?
Old 01-10-2004, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AFTICA
Found 30 needle bearings in the pan. If the replacement rockers from GM are less prone to throw the bearings, I'll just replace the bad ones with GM. If not I'll go aftermarket. Has anyone had a replacement GM rocker go bad?

I believe the replacement is the same part# as the oem. Since the bulletin addressing this is from 98 to 02 that tells me there wasnt a new improved part. I have had great luck with stock rockers, keep your valve spring tension adequate for your cam and you should get decent reliability.I also shimmed my rocker assembly for minimum preload to allow effortless 7k rpm with no lifter pump up, this is key IMO.
Old 01-11-2004, 07:58 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1derfull
I believe the replacement is the same part# as the oem. Since the bulletin addressing this is from 98 to 02 that tells me there wasnt a new improved part. I have had great luck with stock rockers, keep your valve spring tension adequate for your cam and you should get decent reliability.I also shimmed my rocker assembly for minimum preload to allow effortless 7k rpm with no lifter pump up, this is key IMO.
So GM knows they have a problem with the rockers but hasn't done anything about it I just don't think I can trust the stock rockers anymore. My search on this subject tells me that even bone stock cars that aren't abused are loosing the needle bearings and my car only has 9000 miles on it so I don't think any amount of prevention will stop it from happening. You either have some bad ones or you don't.
I was hoping the replacements were holding up better, but if they didn't change the part # or manufacturing process then I guess there's no reason to believe they will be any different than the ones that came apart.
Old 01-11-2004, 09:56 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AFTICA,
If you want to replace all of them, I have all 16 stock rockers and the support bases for $100 shipped. The engine had 2400 miles on it when I took them off.
Mike
Old 01-11-2004, 10:48 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BergerMan
AFTICA,
If you want to replace all of them, I have all 16 stock rockers and the support bases for $100 shipped. The engine had 2400 miles on it when I took them off.
Mike
I'm not sure which route I'm going to take yet but I'll keep that in mind. Thanks
Old 01-12-2004, 09:39 PM
11 Second Club

Was at the dealer today and here's what they told me regarding the replacement rocker arms;
The old part # was 12581000 until april 2003. The part # was then changed to 10214664. They assume that GM changed something in the rocker arm to require the changed part #. The only physical difference I see is the casting #'s on the bottom. My original was "H1" and the new one is stamped with a "15" Even though GM knows they have a problem (TSB issued) they don't give you a break on the price...$24 each
Old 01-17-2004, 09:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AFTICA
Was at the dealer today and here's what they told me regarding the replacement rocker arms;
The old part # was 12581000 until april 2003. The part # was then changed to 10214664. They assume that GM changed something in the rocker arm to require the changed part #. The only physical difference I see is the casting #'s on the bottom. My original was "H1" and the new one is stamped with a "15" Even though GM knows they have a problem (TSB issued) they don't give you a break on the price...$24 each

In light of this info. i would say this new # is a design improvement.
GM is slow to make change but eventually they step up.
Its a good thing they get some things right or we wouldnt have this great motor and sites like this!
Old 01-17-2004, 10:08 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Aftica, i work over at a dealer here in texas and honestly, it is rare that you see stock rockers come apart. it is not as common as people think it is. i dont think you will have another problem with the updated ones in my opinion.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have stock 1.7 rockers.......for...75 obo.....they do a good job!!! and they are quit new honestly.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:03 AM
11 Second Club

I replaced just the one that came apart. I'll be watching the oil plug for any more needle bearings. If another one comes apart, I'll go to aftermarket rockers. Even though it appears as though GM did change something with the replacement rockers (why else would they change the part #), 16 of them would be $384, so for another $100 you can upgrade to aftermarket pieces that are much better.