Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why do they make valve stem retainers so small??

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 12:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why do they make valve stem retainers so small??

Okay, so I was upgrading my valve springs, and when I went to put the retainer back, I bumped my hand on the gas shock that holds the hood up, and lost the sucker...careless, I know. Anyway, I don't know where the hell it went....NO idea. Worst-case scenario, I guess it could've fallen into the open valve cover. If this was the case, where would/could it have landed within the motor? What is the worst thing that could happen with it in there? I did this during a cam swap, and probably don't have the tools/machinery/know-how to remove the heads and search further. Suggestions?????
Old 05-19-2010, 01:12 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, they are small probably for the reason of assisting in making a lighter weight component in the top end. I would keep looking around. If it made it into the head then you will know after you button it up and possibly trash the motor after a moment of running. It could have blocked an oil passage at minimum leading to a starved component in either the top or bottom end. Or it will make its way into the rotating assembly and the rest is history. Sucks to hear of that happening, but my advice is to take a break and just go close your eyes for a few minutes then come back and continue searching. Check on the top of the stock K-member.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Steel or titanium? If steel, sometimes a magnet will help. I would not run the motor until you find this. How much of the motor is open (what parts were off when this happened)?
Old 05-19-2010, 07:08 AM
Teching In

All I have off are the valve covers and timing cover/water pump. I wasn't near the front, so I don't believe it went up there. It was the stock steel one. Thing is just so damn small! I was jk about why they make them so small, just having troubles finding it.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:34 AM
Teching In

EDIT: I didn't lose the retainer or "hat" of the spring, I lost the stem locks that sit within the retainer
Old 05-19-2010, 08:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

If you lost it in the valley cover, you'll probably fish it out your crankcase after it makes its way down there.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might want to check with a powerful light around the head bolts. When I swapped heads I found one next to a head bolt form a spring swap some 9 months earlier. Small pen magnet is your friend also.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

It probably didn't land in the head, but it is possible. I find that F bodies are terrible for keeping small parts that were dropped. Lots of places for it to hide.

In order to find it, you have to think like a valve keeper. Check were you dropped it, and look which direction it may have bouced.You may get lucky with a flex magnet.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:04 PM
dug
Banned

them keepers like to hit the ground running. I found one on the other side of the car
Old 05-19-2010, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That's why first thing I do is stuff clean rags or paper towels in all the drain holes just in case. Make sure your remove them though!!
Old 05-19-2010, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good news, he found it and we got the car up and running. Sounds good and it's getting tuned on Friday.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:56 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by samb0ness
EDIT: I didn't lose the retainer or "hat" of the spring, I lost the stem locks that sit within the retainer
That was what I was assuming you were talking about. Otherwise a retainer is the size of a $0.50 piece! Glad you got it running. So where did it end up? Center of the car underneath the output shaft? lol
Old 05-19-2010, 11:57 PM
Teching In

Yes, we turned out lucky as hell...before I was about to bolt the valve cover back on and say **** it, I decided to snake my magnet back into a crevis or two again, and heard "wha-tink!". It was quite the relief. Below is the final result (untuned).

http://www.youtube.com/user/03bamaGT.../1/B6nyDjXnCI0