Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine failure after rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 08:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default engine failure after rebuild

had to rebuild my motor 2 times. losing oil pressure after i try laying into the throttle. have had 2 different machine shops work on it. it appears the thrust bearing is being taken out.....like the crankshaft is being pushed forward and causing excessive heat and causing bearing failure.
I have a vigilante converter and it has anti-ballooning plate. i was also told that to much line pressure in the transmission could cause this problem. using factory crank, compstar rods and H series bearings. Using arp main studs and block was not line honed. Engine failed both time in about a week any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
check mods on SIG.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jjcamaro02
had to rebuild my motor 2 times. losing oil pressure after i try laying into the throttle. have had 2 different machine shops work on it. it appears the thrust bearing is being taken out.....like the crankshaft is being pushed forward and causing excessive heat and causing bearing failure.
I have a vigilante converter and it has anti-ballooning plate. i was also told that to much line pressure in the transmission could cause this problem. using factory crank, compstar rods and H series bearings. Using arp main studs and block was not line honed. Engine failed both time in about a week any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
check mods on SIG.
Almost 700whp and a 10 bolt. You are my hero. Haha.

All joking aside, I think I'll let a more experienced member try and legitimately help you. Sorry to hear.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:07 PM
LLC
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a vigilante converter and it has anti-ballooning plate.
When the trans and converter is installed, does the converter have to pulled forward in order to bolt it the flywheel?

Using arp main studs and block was not line honed.
You cannot do this!
Old 05-20-2010, 06:07 AM
9 Second Club

Would not line honing cause thrust issues tho?
Old 05-20-2010, 06:58 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by LLC
When the trans and converter is installed, does the converter have to pulled forward in order to bolt it the flywheel?
yes converter had to be pulled forward

You cannot do this!
I was told the block was line honed by the last machine shop and it was not. This time it will be done

Originally Posted by JFM-jr
Would not line honing cause thrust issues tho?
I was told it would not,trans is the only thing that could cause this problem. To much line pressure could push the converter forward taking out the bearings.I would like to know if this happened to anyone else.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:11 AM
12 Second Club

I was also under the impression that swapping out main bolts for studs without a line hone was a no no. I was always told if using studs a line hone is a very important step in the engine build to ensure everything is straight after the studs are torqued.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:11 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
I was also under the impression that swapping out main bolts for studs without a line hone was a no no. I was always told if using studs a line hone is a very important step in the engine build to ensure everything is straight after the studs are torqued.
Yes this step has now been taken care of. I would like to know if it would take out the thrust bearing.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Yes a converter can cause thrust issues if the tolerances are not correct. Does the converter hub correctly fit into the back of the crank and is the flexplate to converter feet spacing correct?
Old 05-20-2010, 04:52 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Yes a converter can cause thrust issues if the tolerances are not correct. Does the converter hub correctly fit into the back of the crank and is the flexplate to converter feet spacing correct?
This will be double checked when the engine is fixed
Old 05-20-2010, 07:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A cheap converter ballooned and wrecked the engine in my son's 383" MCSS. Accelerating or decelerating was fine, but steady-state cruise sounded like a hammer toss.

On the line bore, I have built a dozen or so engines and have swapped the bolts for studs on two of them. No line bore and no problems. That doesn't mean it won't happen, but if you can fully torque the mains and have proper bearing clearances, thrust, and be able to freely spin the crank, I can't see a problem with that...
Old 05-20-2010, 07:59 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by S10xGN
A cheap converter ballooned and wrecked the engine in my son's 383" MCSS. Accelerating or decelerating was fine, but steady-state cruise sounded like a hammer toss.

On the line bore, I have built a dozen or so engines and have swapped the bolts for studs on two of them. No line bore and no problems. That doesn't mean it won't happen, but if you can fully torque the mains and have proper bearing clearances, thrust, and be able to freely spin the crank, I can't see a problem with that...
I never heard any abnormal sounds but who knows. I don't want to put the engine back together and have the same problem again.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:07 PM
9 Second Club

Here is a great read on converter installation. Not trying to say you dont know this already but a good read on insuring proper converter seating.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...allations.html
Old 05-20-2010, 08:51 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by JFM-jr
Here is a great read on converter installation. Not trying to say you dont know this already but a good read on insuring proper converter seating.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...allations.html
Thanks read that, also talked to Andy today @ FLT. He is trying to help determine if the problem is in the transmission , converter or the engine
Old 05-21-2010, 08:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Again, thats a great article above, however, I would measure the converter front snout and the inside bore of the crank to verify they can mate properly and not bind. What kind of flexplate were you running?
Old 05-21-2010, 06:03 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Again, thats a great article above, however, I would measure the converter front snout and the inside bore of the crank to verify they can mate properly and not bind. What kind of flexplate were you running?
TCI same flexplate that i used last year with the trans and converter. Man this is driving me nuts trying to find out whats going wrong. When i get the engine back from the machine shop i will sure the converter fits ok in the crank.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:33 AM
Banned

Ok pilgrim let me explain this as simple as can bee. GET the trans fixed! There is nothing wrong with the engine UNLESS there is a burr on the crank that is ruining the bearing surface which i doubt.

Your trans is pushing too hard on your crank. Don't run this until you get the trans looked at.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

wanna explain how a trans can push forward. Really I'd like to hear it.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:25 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by HotSilverBird
Ok pilgrim let me explain this as simple as can bee. GET the trans fixed! There is nothing wrong with the engine UNLESS there is a burr on the crank that is ruining the bearing surface which i doubt.

Your trans is pushing too hard on your crank. Don't run this until you get the trans looked at.
Please explain how the trans would be pushing on the crank? The only thing that i heard of was to much line pressure.

Quick Reply: engine failure after rebuild