Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Patriot Performance LS6 heads and g5x-2 or 3?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 11:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Patriot Performance LS6 heads and g5x-2 or 3?

I'm looking to get a set of PP LS6 style heads with the 59cc chamber for higher compression and either the g5x-2 or g5x-3 cam, but don't want to have to flycut the pistons. I just broke a valvespring, and figure I may as well get a good set of heads, since I wanted them anyway, and figure while i'm at it, i'll throw one of the bigger cams i've been wanting in too! So i'm curious, which one would I have to get, the g5x-2 or could I go with the 3? Cuz I heard something about having to flycut the pistons even if the heads aren't milled with the g5x-3. Is that true, or could I use the 3 with the PP's and no flycutting? Also, one other thing, can the springs that come in the Patriot's handle those big *** cams?! Thanks in advance for any info!
Old 01-11-2004, 11:59 PM
TECH Veteran

You shouldnt have to worry about PV clearance because the PP 59cc heads are welded up then CNCed out to desired compression so no actual milling takes place to raise compression. Milling heads is what usually causes PV clearance issues.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by maddboost
You shouldnt have to worry about PV clearance because the PP 59cc heads are welded up then CNCed out to desired compression so no actual milling takes place to raise compression. Milling heads is what usually causes PV clearance issues.
I knew all that, I was just wondering though cuz I heard something about having to flycut even with stock unmilled heads with the g5x-3, I was just wondering if that was true, cuz if not, then i'm gonna go with the x-3!
Old 01-12-2004, 06:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The springs will handle the G5X-2 or te G5X-3.The springs will handle any cam to .650 valve lift.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TVWilkes
The springs will handle the G5X-2 or te G5X-3.The springs will handle any cam to .650 valve lift.
If my clutch was good, I would be ordering these heads tomorrow. Once the clutch is done the heads are next.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:44 AM
Launching!

Terry, just to clarify, are you saying that your pp ls6 heads w/ g5x3 will require no flycutting? WOW! Dammit I have to give you a call later this week... I have lotsa questions about your heads....
Old 01-12-2004, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gaga
Terry, just to clarify, are you saying that your pp ls6 heads w/ g5x3 will require no flycutting? WOW! Dammit I have to give you a call later this week... I have lotsa questions about your heads....
I have customers that are running the G5X-3 without fly cutting. I would still check the P/V clearance.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TVWilkes
I have customers that are running the G5X-3 without fly cutting. I would still check the P/V clearance.
Sweet! I hope that's true, cuz that's what I wanna do! Any others with it that could chime in, or where's LG, maybe he could chime in?
Old 01-12-2004, 06:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just because the heads aren't milled dosen't mean that the cams in question will fit. You can run the X-2 on a 112 or 114 LSA with no fly cutting. When it comes to the X-3, you can run the 114 LSA and clear a little UNDER what is reccomended. This means you will be running at a clearence that is less than what the cam grinder reccomends. This shouldn't hurt anything, but if you ever run into any valve float, it is highly possible that you will make contact. If you want to run the X-3 on a 112 LSA, you WILL have to flycut. These scenarios are assuming a 2.02 valve.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're gonna install a max-effort type cam (G5X2 or G5X3) and a set of heads, why the hesitancy to flycut? Flycutting, when done correctly and to the proper depth, in no way affects piston durability or longevity, unless 200+ NOS is being used, and at that level, an unmodified stock piston is likely to fail. Just my opinion, but flycutting is a small price to pay at these levels, and can be done easily with the engine still in the car. A head shouldn't be chosen simply because it will allow you to install a certain cam without flycutting.
Shawn
Old 01-12-2004, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 01-12-2004, 10:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SPANKY LS1
If you're gonna install a max-effort type cam (G5X2 or G5X3) and a set of heads, why the hesitancy to flycut? Flycutting, when done correctly and to the proper depth, in no way affects piston durability or longevity, unless 200+ NOS is being used, and at that level, an unmodified stock piston is likely to fail. Just my opinion, but flycutting is a small price to pay at these levels, and can be done easily with the engine still in the car. A head shouldn't be chosen simply because it will allow you to install a certain cam without flycutting.
Shawn
I'm not sure how to flycut and didn't want to have to pay a shop to do the install, that's the only reason I don't want to flycut the pistons.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:25 PM
TECH Veteran

The decision should be easy then. The X-2 on a 112 or a 114 or the X-3 on a 114 only. No fly-cutting neccisary unless running bigger than 2.02 valves or unless the heads have been milled.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
The decision should be easy then. The X-2 on a 112 or a 114 or the X-3 on a 114 only. No fly-cutting neccisary unless running bigger than 2.02 valves or unless the heads have been milled.
I could be wrong, but I thought the x-3 came only on a 114? We'll see what happens, it's about a month off before I have the cash, have to save it up (didn't expect to break anything, but since I did, it gives me an excuse to upgrade), so when I have it, i'll call up Lou and see what he says. By the way, I haven't really been keepin up with the internal engine section, any specs out yet on the x-3? Just curious how much bigger than the x-2 it is?
Old 01-12-2004, 11:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Loudmouth LS1
I could be wrong, but I thought the x-3 came only on a 114? We'll see what happens, it's about a month off before I have the cash, have to save it up (didn't expect to break anything, but since I did, it gives me an excuse to upgrade), so when I have it, i'll call up Lou and see what he says. By the way, I haven't really been keepin up with the internal engine section, any specs out yet on the x-3? Just curious how much bigger than the x-2 it is?
The X-3 can be ordered on a 112. I know cause I have one! The specs aren't out, but I might know them. It isn't to much bigger. I went through all this with LG, and got my other specs from a friends install here in town.
Old 01-13-2004, 12:01 AM
TECH Junkie

The X-3 can be ordered on a 112. I know cause I have one! The specs aren't out, but I might know them. It isn't to much bigger. I went through all this with LG, and got my other specs from a friends install here in town.
Cool, so just curious, what's the cost on the x-3 on a 114? Also, i'm assuming I need Comp R lifters for this cam, correct? And I noticed that TSP sells the Patriot Heads with Crane Dual springs, are those better than what normally comes in them, or is that what normally comes in them? Just wonderin if u know if they're better springs, cuz if so, i'll order the heads from TSP instead of LS1 Speed. Thanks for all the help man! Oh, one more question, you think i'll have a problem gettin it to idle w/ the Turbo 400 in my car, like is it a M6 only cam or what?
Old 01-13-2004, 06:32 PM
TECH Veteran

My friends car is an A4. It idles decent. It could probablly use a little tweaking in the idle department. I got my cam for around $400 I think. You don't have to have the comp R lifters, but they are reccomended for a cam with such a hard lobe. Patriot was using the crane dual springs, but he has since switched to his own brand of spring. People have been having good luck with them and they should hold the cam fine. The guys at TSP are in pretty good with Patriot, and they deffinatlly back his stuff, so I would order from them. They are great to deal with, and they accompanied everything I wanted. I personally wanted comp 977 springs on my heads, and they got all that for me with no problem.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:27 PM
TECH Junkie

My friends car is an A4. It idles decent. It could probablly use a little tweaking in the idle department. I got my cam for around $400 I think. You don't have to have the comp R lifters, but they are reccomended for a cam with such a hard lobe. Patriot was using the crane dual springs, but he has since switched to his own brand of spring. People have been having good luck with them and they should hold the cam fine. The guys at TSP are in pretty good with Patriot, and they deffinatlly back his stuff, so I would order from them. They are great to deal with, and they accompanied everything I wanted. I personally wanted comp 977 springs on my heads, and they got all that for me with no problem.
Sweet, thanks for all the info!
Old 01-14-2004, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK I have this exact setup, PP stage II ls6 with 59 cc. and G5X-3 on 112 LSA, in an auto. Absolutely no problems at all. It is close, so I would check anyways to just be safe, but I have not had any problems. I hope you have LS1 edit or access to it, because you are going to have a lot of fun getting the tune right. I should have numbers for everyone next Saturday. I'm going to a dynoday at MTI, and will post the numbers and graph as soon as we get done. Just buy the stuff, you will absolutely love it.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by WS6snake-eater
OK I have this exact setup, PP stage II ls6 with 59 cc. and G5X-3 on 112 LSA, in an auto. Absolutely no problems at all. It is close, so I would check anyways to just be safe, but I have not had any problems. I hope you have LS1 edit or access to it, because you are going to have a lot of fun getting the tune right. I should have numbers for everyone next Saturday. I'm going to a dynoday at MTI, and will post the numbers and graph as soon as we get done. Just buy the stuff, you will absolutely love it.
I'm curious, how's it's driveability? Like my car is a daily driver for now, but my definition of streetable is a bit different than others (I have a turbo 400 in the car with 4000 stall, hehe). Also, do you think this cam would run good with my Turbo 400 w/ 4000 stall and 3.73 gears (couldn't go higher than 3.73 cuz I drive it on the street and need some cruisability), or do I need a little smaller cam since I don't have too steep of a gear? Thanks!