Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First cam swap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 03:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First cam swap?

Im about to embark on my first cam kit install and I was looking for some insite. Here is my parts list.

TSP cam kit:
MS4 on 111 LSA
PRC .675 Springs
hardened 7.425 pushrods

oil pump melling m295
timing cover gasket set
oil pan gasket
water pump gaskets
harmonic balancer bolt
double roller timing chain

I know I will be needing some key stock for putting the cam in what size are they?

First off am i missing anything from this list that i would be needing?

Second if anyone has any tips or tricks to make this as easy as possible that would be great.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

What setup does the car have currently? A4 or M6?... Oil pickup o-ring will be needed. Might have to get an oil pressure sending unit if yours breaks off pulling the intake... Need more info about the car currently to tell you what else you might need.

Edit opps! just read your signiture. Looks like you might just need the things I listed. A 10mm wratchet wrench makes life a lot easier.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heres the write up i used to get started: http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23

Im in the middle of my cam swap now (TSP 224R) and i am using ARP Cam bolts/Cam retainer plate bolts (they were cheap), ARP Balancer bolt, Timing cover gasket and seal, and water pump gaskets along with the LS2 chain. I already had a oil pump/valve springs installed.

Your going to need a spring compressor, and some way to support the valves, by either compressed air, or moving the piston up, so it cant drop into the cylinder.

Also, be DAMN careful taking out the oil pickup tube bolt, if it ends up in the oil pan, its going to be a bitch to get back (ask me how i know) Also, if im not mistaken, to get the oil pan gasket out, youll have to drop the pan completely.. to do that, youll have to raise the engine away from the k-member, someone correct me if im wrong?
Old 05-22-2010, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NVR_SPDS
Heres the write up i used to get started: http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23

Im in the middle of my cam swap now (TSP 224R) and i am using ARP Cam bolts/Cam retainer plate bolts (they were cheap), ARP Balancer bolt, Timing cover gasket and seal, and water pump gaskets along with the LS2 chain. I already had a oil pump/valve springs installed.

Your going to need a spring compressor, and some way to support the valves, by either compressed air, or moving the piston up, so it cant drop into the cylinder.

Also, be DAMN careful taking out the oil pickup tube bolt, if it ends up in the oil pan, its going to be a bitch to get back (ask me how i know) Also, if im not mistaken, to get the oil pan gasket out, youll have to drop the pan completely.. to do that, youll have to raise the engine away from the k-member, someone correct me if im wrong?
What kind of spring compressor can i use with out having to remove the heads and where can i get one from? and how can i use the compressed air to support the valve? is there a fitting that screws into the spark plug whole?
Old 05-22-2010, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

Look in the tools section. You can get a compressor for $35. I just ordered one for myself. Only drawback is you can only change one spring at a time.
As far as compressed air in the cylinder, if you have a compression tester, you can use that fitting to connect to your air hose from your compressor. Rotating the piston to TDC should be the easiest IMO.