Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help choose the correct Pistons/Rods (Bore 3.898) stock 346

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 05:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help choose the correct Pistons/Rods (Bore 3.898) stock 346

I'm doing H/C swap on my ss
and planing for shot of nitrous, so decided to go a head and change those stock pistons and connecting rods and keeping the stock crankshaft

I have PRC 5.3L stg 2.5 milled to 59cc to maintain the CR ~ 11:36
I don't want to loss this compression when changing pistons/rods and keep the current PTVC

Actually I don't want to spend alot on those , my badget is $1,3000

Can anyone please advise me what piston cc/ connecting rods length and brands that will not hurt my CR neither my PTVC
Old 05-23-2010, 06:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not sure what piston you should get but i have not really seen any co. that makes 3.898 forged pistons. i think 3.905 is what most companies make so you would need to get the block machined on a lil if you went with a 3.905 piston. also callies forged rods are around 550 +/-. but you can also get some stock length scat forged rods for 300, but would limit your piston selection. keep in mind you can also just buy a set of arp 2000 series rod bolts for 100 dollar and have all your stock rods resized for 40 buck. which would hold some decent hp for 140 dollars total? all depends on how much you willing to spend.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tsunami SS
I'm doing H/C swap on my ss
and planing for shot of nitrous, so decided to go a head and change those stock pistons and connecting rods and keeping the stock crankshaft

I have PRC 5.3L stg 2.5 milled to 59cc to maintain the CR ~ 11:36
I don't want to loss this compression when changing pistons/rods and keep the current PTVC

Actually I don't want to spend alot on those , my badget is $1,3000

Can anyone please advise me what piston cc/ connecting rods length and brands that will not hurt my CR neither my PTVC
Do the Eagle h beam 6.125 rods and the diamond Pistons for that length rod with -2cc reliefs (#11502 i think) and that will help ur ptvc and have no clearance issue then run a little thinner gasket, to keep the compression close to what u stated.. U should be able to pick it all up around $1000 or a lil more.. The 6.125 rod is a little cheaper then the stock length because it is more mainstream than stock length.. This is what i did for my stock cube motor..
Old 05-23-2010, 10:55 PM
12 Second Club

scat i-beam rods 6.1'' $320 after tax
mahle 3.898 piston pak $650 after tax
keep ur stock crank and ull have a motor that can handle big power for a little less than a grand. this is the setup up i have in my stock bore ls1 and im spraying a 250 shot on top of it. eagle stuff is heavy i like to stay away from it and dont put $140 into a stock rod when u can spend a little more and get forged i-beams
Old 05-23-2010, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by THEBRAD
keep ur stock crank and ull have a motor that can handle big power for a little less than a grand. this is the setup up i have in my stock bore ls1 and im spraying a 250 shot on top of it. eagle stuff is heavy i like to stay away from it and dont put $140 into a stock rod when u can spend a little more and get forged i-beams
Nothin wrong with eagle, people have there own preferences. i have sold there stuff for over 10 years, and stands strong.. And yes a I beam in Eagle would be lighter, but i said H beam, there best rod.. Have buddys that have 1200 horsepower with that rod, i stay away from scat for my own reasons with balancing. but none the less everyone has there own reasons.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i have the Mahle pistons THEBRAD speaks of for sale if the OP is intrested.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:57 AM
12 Second Club

brandons a cool dude trust hes got good pistons. why dont u get ur car finnished and we can all get back up to hooters!
Old 05-26-2010, 07:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

or QSNL.

im tellin you dude, this past 2 years havent been good. gonna have it done this year forsure. building a 370 for it now, the LS1 just wasnt cutting it anymore.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

good thread, ive been thinking of doing the same thing, while im doing H/C myself.

any other opinions please chime in.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by n20kid
Nothin wrong with eagle, people have there own preferences. i have sold there stuff for over 10 years, and stands strong.. And yes a I beam in Eagle would be lighter, but i said H beam, there best rod.. Have buddys that have 1200 horsepower with that rod, i stay away from scat for my own reasons with balancing. but none the less everyone has there own reasons.
Nothing wrong?
I clearly remember my Eagle crank being very porous and was a nightmare to balance. - bad pour... that was a bunch of years ago though.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by THEBRAD
Part Numbers?
I dont see SCAT I beam with stock .945:" wrist pin...
used on the mahle
Old 07-06-2010, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vmapper
Nothing wrong?
I clearly remember my Eagle crank being very porous and was a nightmare to balance. - bad pour... that was a bunch of years ago though.
Name ONE company that has not had any issue atleast once in they're products.. There is no such thing as perfection, just dealing with all the manufacturer's for years, i have had less problems with Eagle then any, if something is wrong they will fix it in a heartbeat..
Old 07-06-2010, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by n20kid
Name ONE company that has not had any issue atleast once in they're products.. There is no such thing as perfection, just dealing with all the manufacturer's for years, i have had less problems with Eagle then any, if something is wrong they will fix it in a heartbeat..
Ok, first off, this is not a 'Name that company' bullcrap discussion, I was merely stating Eagle has had several years of bad porous metal, and Let me tell you, my service with Eagle, how they ignored the images provided by the race team that balanced it was awful.
As I said, things may have changed and thats good for you. And perhaps that was my point exactly, based on that prior post. No company is perfect, thanks for that insightful comment.

Im not quite sure if your just being a dick about this, but sure, Ill play your game.
you tell me something bad about Callies. - 1
Old 07-06-2010, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

Ok, first off, this is not a 'Name that company' bullcrap discussion, I was merely stating Eagle has had several years of bad porous metal, and Let me tell you, my service with Eagle, how they ignored the images provided by the race team that balanced it was awful.
As I said, things may have changed and thats good for you. And perhaps that was my point exactly, based on that prior post. No company is perfect, thanks for that insightful comment.

Im not quite sure if your just being a dick about this, but sure, Ill play your game.
you tell me something bad about Callies. - 1
No, not being a dick at all buddy. Been in this business my entire life, and have dealt with all companies, Eagle, Callies, Lunati, Manley, Scat, u name it. And something bad about Callies, not to knock at all but **** happens, but a customer of mine just broke one of they're cranks with less than 15 passes on it, and is still waiting on something to be done if anything.. Now, with that being said u take the good with the bad, because in the racing industry, now matter how bad *** ur part is.. stuff breaks.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:35 AM

Default Re

Summit has both pin sizes. Just enter "Scat LS1 Rods" in the search and they come right up.The part number is the same except for the last 3 numbers "945/927"

Nothing wrong?
Old 07-11-2010, 11:43 AM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Use a Mahle piston and Eagle rod combo. Hands down a great and solid combo that will perform how you want it to.

Quick Reply: Help choose the correct Pistons/Rods (Bore 3.898) stock 346