Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil in coolant.. and coolant in oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FbodyAttraction
I'm going to try the GM MLS and see how that goes. APR Bolts will be reused.

Anyone know how often I should change my springs? Trying to make a parts list before tearing into it this week.
If I had a problem like your head gaskets leaking I wouldn't be reusing the head bolts even if they are ARPs. I thought you always used new head bolts and balancer bolts on installs.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The ARP bolts are reusable.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:46 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So this is going to be fun: Research on my Crane 1.8 rockers have got me confused about the preload on them. After zero lash, Crane asks for 2 turns and a 1/4 lock turn. Vinci goes with 1 and 1/2 turns plus 1/4 lock. Others have done less. I have noticed oil and carbon buildup in my manifold, i wonder if I am getting blowback. How much preload should I go with?
Old 05-27-2010, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you were over-preloading the lifters and holding a valve open, you'd likely know it from the engine misfiring.

I'd go with Vinci's recommendation assuming it applies to the lifters you're running.

TPIS did a lot of testing back before the LS1 came out, using their dyno to test preload effect on power production. They found that, up to a point, less preload is better.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Engine is back together and car is running. I went with 1.5 rotations and 1/4 locking turn on the lifter preload. It is a little more noisy now with less preload. Only thing that I would recomend is changing your oil a few times after the head swap. I still had a little coolant in my oil a week after the proceedure.

My damn PCV tubing is leaking now. Temporary fix was to plug the SOB. Not sure if I should buy the rip me off part from GM or go with a fix I make myself.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in coolent

YUP if your having a prob with oil in coolent the power steering cooler is gona be your problem i just did mine ( oh its a headgasket as all the mechanics said ) but its not I put pressure into the steering cooler sure enoghf it had a small leak ... saved me alot of money not doing the headgaket.

Quick Reply: Oil in coolant.. and coolant in oil