Sponsored by:

Damaged Lifter! (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 12:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Damaged Lifter! (with pics)

Hey guys…

For a while I have had faint ticking noise in the valve train that was really only audible at certain RPM’s, but one day it all of a sudden got a lot worse. I mean A LOT WORSE…. I was able to drive it about 5 miles (very carefully) and get it back home.

So this weekend I decided to break down my motor (mods in sig) to see what was causing this god-awful noise. Upon removing the head, I found this…

After taking out the damaged lifter, I was able to look at the camshaft as I turned over the engine by hand and it had a few nicks in it but that was all I could really see wrong with it…

So my two questions to you are:
  • Will those nicks in the camshaft lobe really hurt it? Is that something I should worry about?
  • Notice the oil hole thingy on the lifter – when I put the new ones in does it matter what direction that faces?

Thanks in advance for your responses!!
Old 05-24-2010, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

First what type of lifters where these because that looks horrible and it seems to a manufacturer defect more than anything else.

Now when it comes to your cam I would personally remove the cam and inspect it. Any cracks on a lobe that you run your fingernail on and it sticks your cam is pretty much done, I would not use it, because those cracks are going to grow over time by the stress put on the cam and it can be really ugly consider yourself lucky at this moment if this is all that happened.

I and this is just me, I would take everything out check that cylinder, valves to that cylinder, see id any metal got in the cylinder and scored the wall. Valves check for nicks on the head, or the stem to make sure any metal did not get into the valve itself to include the chamber to make sure no metal was rattled around. Check your rockers for that cylinder I mean anything that has to do with that particularly cylinder check it. I would also check your oil pan and see if you have any metal chunks pertaining to that lifter and clean her out.

Other than that if the lifter is all that happened man you have a mechanical guardian angel on your shoulder.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Launching!

Stock Lifters...

There were no visible cracks on the lobe of the cam and most of the nicks were on the edge of the lobe itself (I may *try* to get a picture). I really really really really do not want to pull the camshaft...

The head/valves are fine... I already checked those over carefully. The rockers are also fine. I will check out the cylinder and cyliner wall and see what I can see -- but I am not sure how any metal would have gotten in there in the first palce

Of course I will be changing the oil after I am done getting it back together as I am sure I will have some metal in there.

Any idea about my 2nd question...

Just FYI.. this was a lifter to the exhaust valve...
Old 05-24-2010, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats weird, I ran some comp r lifters for 4 years not one issue, But when I tore down my motor some of them fell apart. I was like wtf?
Old 05-24-2010, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SteelBallz
Stock Lifters...

There were no visible cracks on the lobe of the cam and most of the nicks were on the edge of the lobe itself (I may *try* to get a picture). I really really really really do not want to pull the camshaft...

The head/valves are fine... I already checked those over carefully. The rockers are also fine. I will check out the cylinder and cyliner wall and see what I can see -- but I am not sure how any metal would have gotten in there in the first palce

Of course I will be changing the oil after I am done getting it back together as I am sure I will have some metal in there.

Any idea about my 2nd question...

Just FYI.. this was a lifter to the exhaust valve...
The only reason i would check is because you never know and its better to be safe than sorry. You mean bleeder hole I have never heard that it needs to face any particular way.

How many miles did these have and what type of cam where you running lobes/lift. Good to know everything so other people look and have an idea of an occurrence and take precautions.

Last edited by 02*C5; 05-24-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:19 PM

Your asking for trouble if you dont pull the cam........

Ask yourself this, Do you want to do this again and replace the cam and lifter/s?

Be smart, pull it while its tore down now.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02*C5
The only reason i would check is because you never know and its better to be safe than sorry.
QFT...

Thanks for your help btw...

Anyone else got any opinions/answers (specifically regarding the orientation of the lifters)?

Last edited by SteelBallz; 05-24-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:13 PM
TECH Veteran

wht in the..
Old 05-24-2010, 04:19 PM
Launching!

I still have a question regarding the orientation of the lifter when I install the new ones.

Notice the oil hole thingy on the lifter – when I put the new ones in does it matter what direction that faces?

Old 05-24-2010, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

I still have a question regarding the orientation of the lifter when I install the new ones.

Notice the oil hole thingy on the lifter – when I put the new ones in does it matter what direction that faces?

For what its worth, I put mine in facing the rear of the engine. I don't see why it would make a difference. I have not read anywhere to explain the orientation being important. I just put them all in the same direction.
My .02
Old 05-24-2010, 07:23 PM
11 Second Club

Morels FTW.... Just my 2 cents.. I was contemplating putting Ls7 lifters in my build, but thought better of it after seeing all the problems people have had. Kind of pricey but I figure it is worth it on a $5000 dollar motor!!!!
Old 05-24-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Resident

Pull the cam and drop the pan...it sucks but do yourself a favor. Metal just hanging out is NO good. You might get lucky...but think wtf will happen if you don't worth it? To me....NO.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Lifter orientation doesn't matter. The cam does, if you don't pull it you may have a crap load of problems in the not to distant future. Would you rather straighten it out correctly now or tear it down again in July? I would not re-assemble that motor until the cam has been thoroughly inspected or preferably replaced.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:18 AM
TECH Addict

The cam is toast, if those sharp edges went one time around it. Re grounding it may help it but the price involved id get a new one.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian@SpectacleSolutions
Your asking for trouble if you dont pull the cam........

Ask yourself this, Do you want to do this again and replace the cam and lifter/s?

Be smart, pull it while its tore down now.
Agree'd

Anyone else got any opinions/answers (specifically regarding the orientation of the lifters)?
Lifters can only go in 2 ways. Either is fine. Stop worrying about that little bleeder hole.

Originally Posted by 99LSS1
Morels FTW.... Just my 2 cents.. I was contemplating putting Ls7 lifters in my build, but thought better of it after seeing all the problems people have had. Kind of pricey but I figure it is worth it on a $5000 dollar motor!!!!
While there isnt anything wrong with using morels, why would you bring up an LS7 lifter? This isnt and never will be an LS7 lifter and LS7 lifters dont have any bearing on this thread. Thats also how products get undue bad raps.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 02*C5

How many miles did these have and what type of cam where you running lobes/lift. Good to know everything so other people look and have an idea of an occurrence and take precautions.
SteelBallz, please let us know this info^^^^
Old 05-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Launching!

Miles on Car:

Miles on Cam:
20k ish

Cam:
CompCam 3725R/3726R (230/232 @ .050" 591/.595 on a 114 lsa).
Old 05-25-2010, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Miles on Car:

Miles on Cam:
20k ish

Cam:
CompCam 3725R/3726R (230/232 @ .050" 591/.595 on a 114 lsa).
fairly mild cam, it could have very well been a defective lifter. But like I said and many others me you i'd take that thing apart and keep us posted and any more pics u take. good luck and hope u get her back on the road soon.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont be lazy. Do it once now or twice later with a lot bigger bill! It sucks but its better than getting more damage later.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:41 PM
Teching In

Looks exactly like one of the lifters I pulled out of my block. Unfortunately my cam and basically everything else ended up being shot. Hope you have better luck than me....

Quick Reply: Damaged Lifter! (with pics)