Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those of you that have had spring failure. . .

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Question For those of you that have had spring failure. . .

can you tell me if you had the stock OEM style locks on your cylinder heads, this would include the ones that are just black oxided, or did you have an aftermarket machined steel lock.

Your input will benefit all LS1/LS6 engines for future builds.

Chris Straub
Stef's Performance and B&B Performance Products
Old 01-12-2004, 03:54 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm,Guess the lock is moving around Chris
Its sad that these big time companies are draging there feel R&Ding LS1 engines.

There so amazing,cant they see theres a big market in providing quality aftermarket parts such as blocks,heads,intakes,springs etc.

I applaud u for looking into making a better lock and or spring setup.
Keep us abreast of your work...

By the way,We sell and use your products
Your LT1 Valve Covers are beautiful...

Last edited by JS; 01-13-2004 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i broke a spring. with only 4k miles on them and running .050" under their rated lift. was using the stock locks. are you saying that the stock locks might be a cause for spring failure? if so how. i just want to learn from those that know more than me
Old 01-12-2004, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

These LS1/LS6 engines are "wasting" to many valve springs compared to the 5.0 hyd roller stuff that is about 2 times heavier and no problems to really speak of. Before I say anything I need to gather some more data but I know we are on the right track.

Chris

Thanks for the compliements, we try.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:06 PM
10 Second Club

I broke a spring with using aftermarket retainers and stock locks.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:30 PM
dug
Banned

Im curious with which spring tool was used. The claw tool looks like they put more stress on the spring than the tool that compresses from the top like it supposed to. Also another factor to look at is how much the spring was compressed during installation. Squashing the spring down to coilbind cant be good for them but makes the install quicker and easier.

Seriously, the install has to be the toughest on springs. Being squashed down while cold. I bet some springs are doomd after the install.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:17 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, I broke an ISKY spring (not sure which one) running a tr224 after about 14k miles. The springs were reportedly good for .600 lift and I'm only at ~.555.
Yes, I had stock locks as well.

Right now I switched to the 'new' blue stripe 918s with titanium retainers and stock locks. Please let us know if you come up with anything new.
Hope this helps
Old 01-13-2004, 08:49 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dug
Im curious with which spring tool was used. The claw tool looks like they put more stress on the spring than the tool that compresses from the top like it supposed to. Also another factor to look at is how much the spring was compressed during installation. Squashing the spring down to coilbind cant be good for them but makes the install quicker and easier.

Seriously, the install has to be the toughest on springs. Being squashed down while cold. I bet some springs are doomd after the install.
Springs are not doomed from the start from being compressed while cold. Compressing a spring is normal during installation and assembly. In fact most competent shops have a device for checking both the spring tension at propper setup height , and also at max lift, or @ CB. Its not going to hurt a spring to be fully compressed once or twice.

But I am curious what Chris has come across.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went with Crane dual stock-diameter springs, had them rate checked at 1.800" and 1.237" heights (installed height measurements done w/ a micrometer). They were all well within tolerance (Crane specifies +/- 10 lb pressure variation, mine were +/-3 of mean at 1.800 and +/- 7 at 1.237").

I used Manley machined locks and the spiffy MORE spring compressor that looks like a rocker arm.

Haven't turned the key yet, but if I break a fricking spring I'll be really shocked. I'm not lifting anywhere near the springs' limit, I mic'd all 16 installed heights prior to installation, and I'll be breaking them in as specified.

-Kevin
Old 01-14-2004, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cstraub
These LS1/LS6 engines are "wasting" to many valve springs compared to the 5.0 hyd roller stuff that is about 2 times heavier and no problems to really speak of. Before I say anything I need to gather some more data but I know we are on the right track.

Chris

Thanks for the compliements, we try.

Keep in mind Chris, I've spent a lot of time and money getting the Fords to do this. Others have tried and failed but we all know who's got it proven out...

As for the LS stuff, there are a few new things getting done and so far it's all looking good (right Chris! ) but it's still a virgin market... That will change very soon..

Ed
Old 01-14-2004, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ed,
We'll you know as well as anyone how heavy the valvetrain is on the HO engines and they don't have near the spring failure these LS1's have. That's why I asked you to put a timing light on a running car with an open valve cover with anybodys springs, its damn scarey. We will have some more input next week and then we'll know for sure what we suspect is the culprit.

Chris
Stef's Performance
Old 01-14-2004, 11:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

so how much light can you really see thru there?
Old 01-15-2004, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by EDC

Keep in mind Chris, I've spent a lot of time and money getting the Fords to do this. Others have tried and failed but we all know who's got it proven out...

As for the LS stuff, there are a few new things getting done and so far it's all looking good (right Chris! ) but it's still a virgin market... That will change very soon..

Ed
I can vouch for that! Yours are the ONLY springs I will run on my Fords. Too many problems with Comp springs for me! Never seen a spring with LESS pressure cure valvefloat....but it did!

Can't wait to see these new LS1 springs in action.

BTW, I think purple is really your color Ed.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 93PONY
BTW, I think purple is really your color Ed.

Blame PS John...

He said my blue lettering couldn't be seen with his blue background...

(That's why this one is in blue....)

Ed
Old 01-15-2004, 01:54 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there a difference between LT1 and LS1 locks? I just replaced springs on both using stock locks and they looked identical. Never heard of LT1's busting springs. BTW, I'll be watching this thread with interest, keep up the good work!
Old 01-15-2004, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

LT1's have the old squared tang. And yes your correct they did not have spring problems. this is also the same style tang that Ford 5.0's have. Can not say what we have found at this point. . .waiting on some more testing the I will "call the ball".

Chris
Stef's Performance
Old 01-15-2004, 03:13 PM
9 Second Club

LT1's have the old squared tang. And yes your correct they did not have spring problems. this is also the same style tang that Ford 5.0's have. Can not say what we have found at this point. . .waiting on some more testing the I will "call the ball".

Chris
Stef's Performance
Chris,
Any chance there will be something in the next couple of weeks that will help me make a decision on which springs to get? I need to make a choice soon, but if you say it will be worth my wait, I'll wait.

By the way, I was thinking Crane duals for stock pockets w/titainium retainers and hardened seats.

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2004, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

If our results are what we expect, the no valvespring has a chance to live in this engine due to another part. So springs are getting the blame but they are breaking due to a "tolerance issue". So your spring purchase is no problem. Thats all I would buy at this time.
Old 01-15-2004, 04:27 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If our results are what we expect, the no valvespring has a chance to live in this engine due to another part. So springs are getting the blame but they are breaking due to a "tolerance issue". So your spring purchase is no problem. Thats all I would buy at this time.
I am so curious as to what you have found out. Please PM me any information that you may have that can help eliminate broken springs from continuing.

Much appreciated.

Brien
Old 01-15-2004, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thumbs up Patriot Heads

I also think that the stock valve lock is a week point.After looking at the movement of the stock valve lock,I have decided to use the new super 7 valve lock. I am looking forward to the arrival of the shipment of locks from Chris.Patriot has a titanium retainer for use with the super 7 valve lock for the 8mm LS1/LS6 valves.This lock will be used as standard equipment on all of Patriot heads. It will also be available in the Patriot Gold dual valve spring kit.Good bye to the factory locks.
Attached Thumbnails For those of you that have had spring failure. . .-spring-kit.jpg  

Last edited by TVWilkes; 01-15-2004 at 06:16 PM.

Quick Reply: For those of you that have had spring failure. . .