Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Measuring coil bind question

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Measuring coil bind question

I got a new benchtop spring tester, and decided to do some prep measuring on the PAC 1518 springs I have, so the first thing I wanted to measure was coil bind.

Before I began, I figured I'd just crank them down till I can't crank anymore and coil bind would be pretty obvious to see. Problem with this is I could have kept cranking past the 600-lb rating on the gauge.

Then I decided to go for "visual" coil bind, so I cranked them down until it visually looked like the coils were coming into contact. I tried getting feeler gauges inside, used a flashlight and magnifying glass to try to get to the exact point where the springs would touch, because I figured if the coils were touching, that was as close as I would want them anyways.

I think the differences between my two methods was 0.035" in some cases. And from my "visual" coil bind measurements, I'm probably going to shim the springs to .050-.060" from "visual" coilbind of 1.080".

Does this seem about right? For those of you who have measured coilbind before how far are you compressing the springs?
Old 05-25-2010, 10:51 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

I always compressed the springs until I could feel a noticeable spike in the amount of effort to compress the spring any more, and that's where I stopped. You should be able to feel it when you hit this "wall". I wouldn't keep cranking on the wheel as hard as I could, but it was a little further than "visual" coildbind.

If you're not sure, it's probably better to err on the larger coilbind measurement. The consequences are a lot worse if you're too tight versus too loose.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:52 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can compare PAC's coil-bind rating (1.080") to what you're seeing and you start to get a feel for it. You will also see the bottom piece of the scale start to move downward if you over-crank it, and that is obviously too far.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 05-25-2010, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure what tool you are measuring with but some testers don't like going to far in load. Also, why not just use the value provided by PAC? These are formed springs that are made within tolerances, they should be darn close to the specification.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Not sure what tool you are measuring with but some testers don't like going to far in load. Also, why not just use the value provided by PAC? These are formed springs that are made within tolerances, they should be darn close to the specification.
The LSM 600lb tester, it's a horizontal mount one. And the box says 1.140" but the website says 1.080". I may have gotten an older batch, which annoys me somewhat, but that's why I decided to test...that, and I'm over precise on a lot of things I build.

More than likely I will set everything up with a 1.080 theoretical coil bind and shim accordingly.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Preston129
The LSM 600lb tester, it's a horizontal mount one. And the box says 1.140" but the website says 1.080". I may have gotten an older batch, which annoys me somewhat, but that's why I decided to test...that, and I'm over precise on a lot of things I build.

More than likely I will set everything up with a 1.080 theoretical coil bind and shim accordingly.

Yep and just do the math and you'll be damn close...
Old 05-27-2010, 09:40 PM
9 Second Club

I took my springs to a local engine builder he put them on a machine that measures the spring forces from open to coil bind and provides a printout. Worked out very well for figuring shims needs and open closed figures. He charged me like 25 bucks.

Quick Reply: Measuring coil bind question