Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

different cam thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default different cam thread

I'm not asking which cam to get i am asking for all that have had any/many cammed ls1's how big of a cam would you go if you had a dd. My car is a DD, m6 but i wanna push my car to the limit but still be able to drive it, so with that being said whats you'alls opinion on the specs of a cam that i should get thats going to give me the most power(under the curve im guessing) but still be able to be daily driven all day. what specs/lsa/duration/lift would you'all go with thx in advance for posting. if it matters car will mostly be street raced 90% and tracked the other 10%.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:24 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You might take a look at our torquer v.3 camshaft(231/234 .643"/.598" 111lsa). It is a mid duration camshaft with a broad powerband due to the lobes used on it. It has an aggressive idle due to the 111 lsa but this also brings the power band down. With a good tune and the right valvetrain components this cam can be daily driven easily.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you JohnJanz. Come on, more ppl plz chime in....
Old 05-26-2010, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I would go with something like john said; 23x-23x... no lower than that because you will regret.

I'll add that the torquer 2 have less lift, which is going to be easier on valvetrain for your DD. its in the 232/234 595/598 lift range, so you can run a single srping kit too.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:07 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a bad person to ask with my 2 last cam choices, but, the EPS lobed cams are fairly small and deliver quite a punch. Let me find the thread.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:08 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...k-results.html
Old 05-27-2010, 03:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

I had a Comp custom grind(LSR lobes) done for my V 232/236 .598 .601 114+2. Car drives like stock but the power is ALL up top. I love it personally but if you want low end id talk to a couple places about a custom grind for your needs.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JohnJanz@Texas-Speed
You might take a look at our torquer v.3 camshaft(231/234 .643"/.598" 111lsa). It is a mid duration camshaft with a broad powerband due to the lobes used on it. It has an aggressive idle due to the 111 lsa but this also brings the power band down. With a good tune and the right valvetrain components this cam can be daily driven easily.
so the lower the lsa the lower powerband becomes correct?
and how broad are we talking here due to the lobes used on it?
and by lobes u mean 231/234 correct?
and what would you reccommend as right/best valvetrain components for that cam? (also best valvetrain components for any cam or does the valve comp's depend on which cam picked right?) 1st Thx to John at TSP

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
I would go with something like john said; 23x-23x... no lower than that because you will regret.

I'll add that the torquer 2 have less lift, which is going to be easier on valvetrain for your DD. its in the 232/234 595/598 lift range, so you can run a single srping kit too.
Thx!!! this is what posts im looking for. So the lesser the lift the longer my vavlvetrain is going to last correct? also you say this b/c its facts/ and or/both you've ran what and didnt like what about them plz. also moneys no problem but more worried about reliable and dependabilty on the valvetrain(how long it'll last) 2nd thx to johnystock

[QUOTE=orangeapeel;13387099]I'm a bad person to ask with my 2 last cam choices, but, the EPS lobed cams are fairly small and deliver quite a punch. Let me find the thread.[/QUOTE

Great info!! 3rd Thx goes to orangepeel

Originally Posted by itsslow98
I had a Comp custom grind(LSR lobes) done for my V 232/236 .598 .601 114+2. Car drives like stock but the power is ALL up top. I love it personally but if you want low end id talk to a couple places about a custom grind for your needs.
Was thinking bout this route a lot also. Whats (LSR) lobes exactly 4th Thx goes itsslow98
Old 05-31-2010, 01:55 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

There are several different lobe styles you can have cams ground on for these motors. For example:

XE - Easy on the valvetrain. Don't see nearly any of these anymore.
XE-R - More aggressive XE lobe.
LSR - A newer more improved form of Comp lobes
LSK
EPS

To name a few. Most of the time they are just proprietary to a company or grinder. Like XE, XE-R, and LSR for CompCams.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
There are several different lobe styles you can have cams ground on for these motors. For example:

XE - Easy on the valvetrain. Don't see nearly any of these anymore.
XE-R - More aggressive XE lobe.
LSR - A newer more improved form of Comp lobes
LSK
EPS

To name a few. Most of the time they are just proprietary to a company or grinder. Like XE, XE-R, and LSR for CompCams.
K so if these are just a few how many total would you guessestimate are out there? and: If i go with a more/very aggressive lobe how many miles can i expect out of my valvetrain before it goes out which im guessing is pushrods getting filed down right? thx orangepeel and plz keep schooling me. i wanna do it right the first time u know and it seems like my options are endless. and everyone else plz chime in whats the most aggressive lobe you could DD? Thank You
Old 06-02-2010, 09:55 PM
Launching!

Holy crap, that thread is awesome!!!
Old 06-02-2010, 10:29 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

There are lots of lobe profiles out there. Those are just some of the more popular/common ones with our cars. I still think EPS is onto something with their killer well thought out cams though.

You are going to want to replace springs and pushrods at a minimum for sure. Depending on the cam will determine whether or not you will need to run a single or double spring. Double springs seems to be more popular with the crowds today. Lots of cams with mild duration and high lift.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 66 BADBOY
Holy crap, that thread is awesome!!!
Werd!!!

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
There are lots of lobe profiles out there. Those are just some of the more popular/common ones with our cars. I still think EPS is onto something with their killer well thought out cams though.

And you say this b/c?

You are going to want to replace springs and pushrods at a minimum for sure. Depending on the cam will determine whether or not you will need to run a single or double spring. Double springs seems to be more popular with the crowds today. Lots of cams with mild duration and high lift.
ya i know i'll need some chromoly pushrods, beehive/single/dual springs and all that good stuff depending on cam. But If you could go hindsight 20/20 what cam specs would you go with as my original thread stated?
Old 06-03-2010, 04:48 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Well, the whole bigger is better isnt always the case...as you saw with that thread I linked above. I would get something that is going to be a tasteful compliment. My cam knowledge is miniscule compared to someone like Geoff at EPS. I could think up a grind, no problem, but I think you want something that has some planning and backbone structure to it. Just because you are able to drive it on the street doesnt mean its going to do you any good. The T-Rex's and the Magicsticks are great for their purposes, but its definitely not what most would consider to be street friendly though. I would look for a low to mid 230's cam with 111-112 LSA on the avg. Lift is all relative to what the cam is going to be used for mainly. It is not a factor in overlap, and you really don't want a bunch of positive overlap if you plan on DD'ing this thing. 16° is about as much as I can put up with personally. There are high .600's and mid .500's accomplishing the same goals. Just make sure you don't have a cam that is going to require you to push the bottom end to its demise.