Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Car bogging down...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 12:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help! Car bogging down...

So I just broke my lq4 in and everything was going great until I changed the oil, spark plugs and wires. I went ahead with NGK TR55's and my stock wires and it started acting funky. The temperature gauge goes to 0 and then back to normal and while it does that it doggs down. It feels like the car dies and then comes back. My oil pressure is normal. Now I decided to change the wires to the MSD 8.5 and it still did it. Now I put my old spark plugs on again and it keeps doing it. Do any of you guys have any idea of what might be going on with my car?
Old 06-01-2010, 01:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you contracted a case of the electrical gremlins. you need a voodoo shaman to get them out.

haha but seriously, it shouldn't be the plugs or wires, sounds like something maybe battery related or possibly sensor related. it's not miss firing is it? has it stalled or cut out on you? have you plugged it in to see if it's throwing a code?

it could be many things. just trying to narrow it down.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:12 PM
Teching In

No codes and yes it does stall every once in a while.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

have you been keeping an eye on your voltmeter? anything wierd there?

have you checked your grounds?

also i'm guessing it's bogging down under load, if so at what rpm range? does it have issues when free revved?
Old 06-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Voltmeter goes down but not a lot. I'm going to check my grounds but I didn't even mess with any.

If I'm driving normal at 2300 rpm it will bogg down and ill throw into neutral and the car revs by itselt up to 3000 rpm and then it goes down and feels like its going to die.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like you may have damaged the coolant temp sensor and/or its wiring. The sensor is located just forward of cylinder #1 and might have gotten banged or the wires pulled during the spark plug swap.

Inspect the wiring visually, then disconnect the sensor connector and verify both pins are in place and straight. Visually inspect the sensor body for signs of cracks or other damage. If all else fails, pop in a new sensor.