Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best way to remove Crank Freeze Plug? UPDATED>>

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default best way to remove Crank Freeze Plug? UPDATED>>

I need to replace the crank freeze plug on my 408 and want to know what is the best way to remove the old one.
I know that I can tap it in and let it fall into the pan and fish it out.

can I maybe pull it out so that I dont have to lower the pan?

anyone done this while the engine is on the car?
reason is that I have a small oil leak from there.
thanks
Edit: Well I started it again for a minute and the darn freeze plug just popped out. I think I did not get the right one since it went in so easy. I will call the GM dealership tomorrow and see if they have one for the LS1 engines since they are the same size I think. I measured the one I took out with a digital caliper reader and it reads right at 1"...I also measured the new one I got at autozone and it was the same size.
I did noticed that they are not the same look-alike. the old one is more domed where as the new one is more like a flat piece.
so Tomorrow I will see what I can find out.
thanks for reading.

Last edited by 98hc4mula; 06-04-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

34 views and no one with something to say?.....Help...lol
Old 06-04-2010, 05:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you tap it in, don't believe it will get to the pan. I haven't checked the manual for removal, only installation. I wonder if you can punch a hole in the center and then extract it. Would need to consult the service manual to see how they remove.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't read the service manual either. Although, I wouldn't knock it in and let it fall down there. It may not fall to the pan. Plus taking out the pan, or lowering is time consuming.

I would oil up a drill bit and slowly drill the plug until you get through it. Oil will help prevent shavings from falling off the drill bit. As you're drilling (slowly) stop and remove the shavings every so often. Once you get done drilling, find a good tool to pry it out towards you. Maybe a flat blade with a curve. Once you get it, use the curved part and pull towards you.

Although, if you don't want to risk it, there is always another way. You might be able to find a tool that butts up against the plug then expands. Once you have expanded, you can pull the plug out. They might even make a tool that expands and has a slide hammer to help with removal.

Hope this helps
Old 06-04-2010, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

How about one of thoses cheap body pullers. The kind that have like a T handle on one end and a sheet metal screw on the other and you slide a weight on it to pull out dings and stuff. Seems like you could make that work.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok Im about to drill a hole thread a grade 8 bolt in it and use it as a lever to pull it out. hope it works.
Vetenutts: how exactly do you put the new one in>
do I just tap it in and then hit it in the center with a round end bolt so it expands?
thanks
Old 06-04-2010, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

Removal can be as easy as VERY CAREFULLY and PRECISELY tapping the bottom (and when i say bottom i mean the lip) of the freeze plug with a punch or chisel until its knocked out crooked enough to grab with pliers and pullout. Be very careful not to hit the block, just the plug. Thats what I did to remove them. Installing them, what i did is place the plug in with your fingers, get it nice and straight, then take a big enough socket that matches up nicely with the plugs lips and the hole and lightly tap the socket to seat the plug into place.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok Killjoy, I appreciate your response a lot. Thanks for taking the time and writing that. I will post as soon as I have it replaced....
should I drain the oil before I do that?
Old 06-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

Eeh or you can let it all just dump out from the freeze plug hole, just have something to catch the fluid, or you can drain it out.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Banned

killroy thinks you are removing a freeze out plug!

Geez read the thread dood....

Listen carefully.....there is a good reason why the PLUG<not a freeze out plug> is leaking. FIND IT!

If you damage the edge of the crank getting the old one out the new PLUG<not freeze out plug> will leak too. There is probably a rough edge etc where the Press in PLUG seals that is causing it to leak. Tread carefully on this unless you like lots and lots of headaches.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:44 PM
Staging Lane

i saw freeze plug i assumed he meant that... Im confused!?!?! Where am I? 4chan, that you?
Old 06-04-2010, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HotSilverBird
killroy thinks you are removing a freeze out plug!

Geez read the thread dood....

Listen carefully.....there is a good reason why the PLUG<not a freeze out plug> is leaking. FIND IT!

If you damage the edge of the crank getting the old one out the new PLUG<not freeze out plug> will leak too. There is probably a rough edge etc where the Press in PLUG seals that is causing it to leak. Tread carefully on this unless you like lots and lots of headaches.
Yup, I was thinking the same thing. If he is referring to the plug in the crank be very careful. Could end up very $$$$.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok this is what I did, I went and rented a blind hole puller to do the extraction. first I ended drilling a hole for the extractor to go into and then I attached it to the sliding hammer and it came out very easy.

Now I had purchased a 1" cap style plug from autozone since the Crank Manufacturer sad to do this.
I went to install it and it went super easy with me pushing on it. I then grabbed a punch with a perfecty round edge and punded it in the center a few times. I read somewhere that you had to do this in order to expand them.
I hope this does not leak again otherwise I will have to do it all over again but this time I will ask the crank mfg to send me a plug that they use.
I was very very careful not to damage the crank, trust me that I have been dreadening all day this job.
I will now bolt on the flexplate and start the car to check if it is leaking still.....
wish me luck.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well, I started the car just with the flexplate for about 1 minute and it does not appear to be leaking oil anymore. I hope this is the end of it.......
ill post again if I run into trouble.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well, I started the car just with the flexplate for about 1 minute and it does not appear to be leaking oil anymore. I hope this is the end of it.......
ill post again if I run into trouble.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:39 PM
Banned

Great, if you have any leaks you could use a little red locktite next time. It will seal it and keep it from moving.

Oh yeah ...CHANGE YOUR OIL!
Old 06-04-2010, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The first one did not work, it was the incorrect size.....
well I found out that the 1 inch plug I bought first was too small, I went to oryellies and got one that is 1.019" so hopefully this one will be a good fit. I also got some Permatex gasket sealer that is resistant to oil so I can coat the sides of it before I pound it in.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hc4mula
The first one did not work, it was the incorrect size.....
well I found out that the 1 inch plug I bought first was too small, I went to oryellies and got one that is 1.019" so hopefully this one will be a good fit. I also got some Permatex gasket sealer that is resistant to oil so I can coat the sides of it before I pound it in.
Just curious, how you find out the 1.00" was too small?
Old 06-04-2010, 08:51 PM
Banned

I'd order the gm part...its probably metric.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Found this on my FTP page, will need to check the manual. Note that the part number shows 25.68mm or 1.011inches. Do you have a GM crankshaft?

Quick Reply: best way to remove Crank Freeze Plug? UPDATED>>